Sheikh Zayed Bridge
|Sheikh Zayed Bridge|
|Carries||4 lanes each way|
|Crosses||Khor Al Maqta|
United Arab Emirates
|Owner||Abu Dhabi Municipality|
|Designer||Zaha Hadid Architects|
|Engineering design||Buckland & Taylor Ltd.
|Design||Suspended deck / Arch bridge|
|Total length||842 m (2,762 ft)|
|Longest span||140 m (460 ft)|
|Number of spans||3|
|Vertical clearance||16 m (52 ft)|
|Constructed by||Archirodon Construction
Six Construct Ltd.
FIP Industriale S.p.A.
|Construction cost||US$300 million|
|Opened||28 November 2010|
Sheikh Zayed Bridge is an arch bridge in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Named after the country's principal architect and former president Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the 842 meter long bridge is said to be the most intricate bridge ever constructed. Its curved design arches evoke undulating sand dunes of the desert.
The bridge features - besides its striking architecture - a dynamic lighting design that is based on subtle colours that flow across the bridge's spine, symbolising the connecting nature of the bridge and the energy that the capital city Abu Dhabi radiates.
The bridge is the third traffic route connecting the mainland to the island of Abu Dhabi and the new main gateway over the Maqtah channel. The bridge was designed by architect Zaha Hadid as the grandeur landmark for the UAE's capital city.
- Architect: Zaha Hadid
- Lighting Design: Rogier van der Heide at Hollands Licht
- Structural design: High-Point Rendel
- Construction engineers: Buckland & Taylor Ltd.
- Geotechnical engineering: DME Geotech
- Contractor: Archirodon Group N.V. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archirodon
- Subcontractor: FIP Industriale S.p.A.
- Prestressing: VSL International
- Commissioning of Feature Lighting on-site: Arup and Martin Pro Middle East
- Sheikh Zayed Bridge at Structurae
- "A holistic approach to lighting lets Sheikh Zayed Bridge (Abu Dhabi) shine". Rogier van der Heide. February 26, 2011. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Architecture: Sheikh Zayed Bridge". Zaha Hadid Architects. Retrieved 27 May 2013.
- "Sheikh Zayed Bridge Abu Dhabi". ConstructionWeek Online. 28 November 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- Jen Thomas (29 November 2010). "Sheikh Zayed Bridge eases traffic on first working day". The National. Retrieved 21 December 2010.