Sheila Ki Jawani
|"Sheila Ki Jawani"|
Katrina Kaif as featured in the song
|Item number by Sunidhi Chauhan from the album Tees Maar Khan|
|Released||November 14, 2010|
|Genre||Bollywood Item number|
"Sheila Ki Jawani" (English: Youthful Sheila) is an item number sung by Sunidhi Chauhan and Vishal Dadlani featuring Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif in the 2010 movie Tees Maar Khan. The track is composed by composer duo Vishal-Shekhar and the lyrics are penned by Dadlani. The moves were choreographed by choreographer-director Farah Khan, who went on to win the Filmfare award for best choreography for the movie.
Katrina Kaif stated that Farah Khan presented her with DVDs of Madhuri Dixit's movies, so that Katrina could concentrate on Dixit's dances. Kaif then stated that it helped her a lot. Kaif describes her performance in this song as "one of the raunchiest" she has ever done. sheila ki jawani song has a funny Hindi meaning too a sort of synopsis which is quite popular in India which is called bhavarth of sheila ki jawani.
The song was extremely well received by film critics, who praised the choreography of Farah Khan and the moves of Katrina. Anupama Chopra of NDTV wrote, "Farah continues to be the consummate choreographer – So, Sheila ki Jawani has a superb, infectious energy". Nikhat Kazmi of the Times of India wrote "Of course Sheela Ki Jawani is eye-popping chartbuster fare and adds another definition to the item number with Katrina's explosive rendition".
The reception of the song from the public was very positive, and it turned out to be one of the biggest hits of the year, along with "Munni badnaam hui" from Dabangg. Malaika Arora Khan, who featured in "Munni badnaam hui" was frequently compared with Kaif, in what was popularly known as the "Munni vs Sheila" debate.
The song was the biggest hit at that point and remained on top for 7 months which was a record after 3 months top of Munni Badnam Hui.
In December 2010, a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed in the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court, with the petitioner asking for a ban of the song, claiming it was "indecent" and "immoral". However, the movie was released with minimal cuts, and was given a U/A censor rating, without the song being cut.
- Tuteja, Joginder (12 November 2010). "Katrina works on herself for 'Sheila Ki Jawani'". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Small-budget 'Udaan' sweeps Filmfare Awards". MSN India. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Munni - Sheila battle heats up". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- Ashar, Urvashi (8 December 2010). "Katrina's 'Sheila' dedicated to Madhuri". Times of India. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "‘Sheila Ki Jawani’ is the sexiest song I have ever shot, says Katrina". Zee News. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Chopra, Anupama. "Review: Tees Maar Khan". NDTV Movies. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (23 December 2011). "Tees Maar Khan". Times of India. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Nagpaul-D'Souza, Dipti (26 December 2010). "Munni vs Sheila: The way of the 'Item Bomb'". Indian Express. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Wangoo, Anupama (26 December 2011). "Sheila steals Munni's thunder". Times of India. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "PIL demands ban on Munni Badnaam Hui and Sheila Ki Jawani". Deccan Herald. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Tees Maar Khan in censor trouble; gets U/A certificate". Indian Express. 11 December 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.