Sheldon, New York
|Sheldon, New York|
|• Total||47.4 sq mi (122.7 km2)|
|• Land||47.3 sq mi (122.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,490 ft (454 m)|
|• Density||51/sq mi (20/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979488|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 47.4 square miles (123 km2), of which 47.3 square miles (123 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.06%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,561 people, 916 households, and 707 families residing in the town. The population density was 54.1 people per square mile (20.9/km²). There were 973 housing units at an average density of 20.6 per square mile (7.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.61% White, 0.04% African American, 0.04% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.16% from other races, and 0.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.23% of the population.
There were 916 households out of which 35.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.5% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.8% were non-families. 18.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.0% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 104.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 102.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $43,232, and the median income for a family was $45,701. Males had a median income of $32,319 versus $21,549 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,698. About 5.2% of families and 5.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.4% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Edward Gaylord Bourne, historian that was born in Strykersville
- Seth M. Gates, former U.S. Congressman from New York
- Lester H. Humphrey, former New York State Senator
- Jim Konstanty, former MLB pitcher and NL MVP who was born in Strykersville
- Horace T. Sanders, colonel of the 19th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment
Communities and locations in Sheldon
- Dutch Hollow – A hamlet on the western border of the town, west of Sheldon village.
- Frinks Corners – A hamlet on the south border of the town, east of Strykersville.
- Harris Corners – A location in the northwest corner of the town, located on Route 20A.
- North Sheldon – A hamlet on Route 20A in the north part of the town.
- Persons Corners – A hamlet on the north border of the town, located on Route 20A at the junction of Route 77.
- Plants Corner – A hamlet east of Strykersville.
- Sheldon – A hamlet between Dutch Hollow and Sheldon Center on Centerline Road.
- Sheldon Center – A hamlet located on Centerline Road and Route 77, east of Sheldon village. The community is the location of town government.
- Strykersville – A hamlet in the southwest corner of Sheldon, located on Route 78.
- Toziers Corner – A hamlet east of Sheldon Center.
- Varysburg – A hamlet near the border of the Town of Orangeville, located at the intersection of Routes 20A and 98. Home to Sheldon Elem. School, one of the two elementary schools in the Attica Central School District.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Professor Edward Gaylord Bourne". The New York Times. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "GATES, Seth Merrill, (1800 - 1877)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- [hhttp://records.ancestry.com/Lester_Hayden_Humphrey_records.ashx?pid=135034202 "Lester Hayden Humphrey"]. Ancestry.com. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- "Jim Konstanty". SABR. Retrieved March 19, 2014.
- Beers, J.H. and Co. (1906). Commemorative Biographical Record of Prominent and Representative Men of Racine and Kenosha Counties, Wisconsin: Containing Biographical Sketches of Business and Professional Men and of Many of the Early Settled Families. J.H. Beers & Company. p. 69.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheldon, New York.|