Sheldon Bach is a psychologist and psychoanalyst living in New York City. Born in 1925, he served in the European Theatre of Operations during World War II, then lived in Paris where he studied at the Sorbonne. He joined the Research Center for Mental Health at New York University in 1956, where he worked with George S. Klein and Leo Goldberger. He is currently Adjunct Clinical Professor of Psychology at the NYU Postdoctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis and a Fellow of the International Psychoanalytical Association.
In 2007 he was the recipient of the Heinz Hartmann Award for "outstanding contributions to the theory and practice of psychoanalysis." His Hartmann Lecture was published and reviewed the following year.
- The How-To Book for Students of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy. Karnac, 2011, ISBN 978-1-85575-887-2
- Getting from Here to There: Analytic Love, Analytic Process. Routledge,2006, ISBN 978-0-88163-439-6
- Narcissistic States and the Therapeutic Process J. Aronson, 1985, ISBN 978-0-87668-893-9
- The Language of Perversion and the Language of Love. J. Aronson, 1994, ISBN 978-1-56821-262-3
"Like a sculptor who can see the form hidden within the block of stone, Sheldon Bach—most recently in his third book on narcissism, Getting from Here to There: Analytic Love, Analytic Process — opens our eyes to the underlying structure and dynamics of narcissistic disorders. Bach’s observations and formulations are presented in an accessible, engaging and deceptively simple way, but they reflect precision of observation, clarity and sophistication of thought, deep empathy for patients, and genuine clinical wisdom. Indeed, Bach’s formulations are closely grounded in clinical observation. He is clearly gifted as a healer, scientist, and teacher."
- "Psychoanalytic Profiles": In: Psychologist-Psychoanalyst: Official Publication of Division 39 of the American Psychological Association. Volume XXVI, No. 4, Fall 2006 pp.5-8
- HealthGrades professional profile
- NYU Postdoctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis
- NYU PPP Program faculty list
- Jenny Putnam & Lewis Aron "Psychoanalytic Healing, Love, Life, and Death: Commentary on Paper by Sheldon Bach". In: Psychoanalytic Dialogues, Volume 18 Issue 6 2008, pps. 795-811
- International Psychoanalysis website
- International Psychoanalysis: Review of Sheldon Bach's "Getting From Here to There"
|This biography of an American psychologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|