Sheldon High School (Eugene, Oregon)
|Sheldon High School|
|2455 Willakenzie Road
Eugene, Oregon, Lane County, 97401
|School district||Eugene School District|
|Number of students||1706|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Southwest Conference 6A-6|
Henry D. Sheldon High School is a public high school in Eugene, Oregon, United States. The school's nickname is the Fighting Irish. Sheldon is one of four traditional high schools in the Eugene School District.
Sheldon High School opened in the 1963-64 academic year as the third high school in the Eugene School District.
Henry D. Sheldon was one of the Northwest’s foremost educators during the first half of this century, helping to build Oregon’s public high school system, the school of education at the University of Oregon and the university itself.
Sheldon came to Oregon at a time when education as a curriculum was just beginning to emerge from a group of courses that included psychology, philosophy, and pedagogy (teaching). He was a pioneer in child psychology and educational inquiry. Sheldon’s attempts to broaden the professional education curriculum, and raise the standards of teacher education form a major theme of his earlier letters.
Dr. Sheldon immediately understood that improved teacher training in Oregon was a useless effort unless the condition of secondary schools underwent a concurrent major improvement.
Includes team, not individual championships.
Team sports fall
- Football: 2002, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Boys Soccer: 2002
- Girls Soccer: 2003, 2004
- Boys/Girls Cross Country: never
- Volleyball: never
Team sports winter
- Boys Basketball: 1992
- Girls Basketball: never
- Boys Swimming: 1975, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999
- Girls Swimming: 1997, 1998, 2000
- Wrestling: never
Team sports spring
- Boys Track & Field: 2009
- Girls Track & Field: 1968
- Boys Tennis: 1971, 1972, 2001
- Girls Tennis: 1993
- Baseball: 2013
- Boys Golf: 2005, 2006
- Girls Golf: never
- Softball: never
OSAA, Oregon's governing sports body, also awards state championships in competitions it names "activities".
Sheldon annually presents a Mr. Irish pageant in which ten senior boys, nominated by senior girls, compete in a variety pageant, ultimately to select "Mr. Irish." The program raises funds for the Children's Miracle Network. As of 2002, the program was in its tenth year, had raised a total of $1,000,000 in donations, and had spread to twenty other regional high schools.
The Talisman is the student newspaper. The newspaper is published twice per term and was awarded the Columbia Scholastic Press Association's Silver Crown Award for high school newspapers in 1988.
Sheldon also has a television station in the same building as the radio station which allows students to explore interests in television broadcasting.
Sheldon won The Oregonian Cup, an OSAA award for "overall school excellence in academics, activities, athletics and sportsmanship," in the 2001-2002 and 2002–2003 years.
- Jon Anderson - 1972 Summer Olympics runner, winner 1973 Boston Marathon
- Alex Brink - quarterback, Houston Texans Canadian Football League
- Greg Byrne - athletics director for the University of Arizona
- Todd Christensen - football player, Los Angeles Raiders
- James Dutton - NASA astronaut pilot
- Dave Hunt - House Speaker, Oregon House of Representatives
- Jon Jaqua - football player Washington Redskins
- Mike Luckovich - editorial cartoonist for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Chris Miller - football player, Atlanta Falcons
- Kory Tarpenning - two-time Olympic pole vaulter
- Michael Walter - football player, San Francisco 49ers
- Craig Wasson - actor
- Taylor John Williams - (singer) on Season 7 of The Voice
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Sheldon High School web site.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Media related to Sheldon High School (Eugene, Oregon) at Wikimedia Commons