The Shellharbour City Sharks are a Country Rugby League club founded in 1920 located on the South Coast of NSW that compete in the South Coast Group 7 competition.
Shellharbour City RLFC has a 113 year history, originally existing as a rugby union club, before switching to rugby league in 1920.
The club have won five first-grade premierships in total, the last of which was in 2001, as well as over 30 reserve, third, and under-18 premierships.
Shellharbour itself is located on the southernmost coastal border of the Illawarra.
Shellharbour City Marlins
In 2007, Shellharbour City struck a deal with NRL side the St. George Illawarra Dragons and thus created a new team and entered themselves into the NSWRL Jim Beam Cup with the name Shellharbour City Marlins using the colours as their parent club. It is rumoured that the name Marlins was chosen to differentiate themselves from any Cronulla Sharks sides. The Shellharbour Sharks still competed in Group 7 Rugby League competition during this time. During 2008, the Dragons leagues club however did not give the same backing to Sharks, instead the Sharks stayed alive through other sponsorship deals, most notably Corban KIA. 2009 saw a change in direction again with both the Sharks side moving into the Illawarra Carlton League and the Marlins side moving into the NSW Cup. This resulted in the Marlins changing their name to Shellharbour City Dragons and consequently changing their strip to the more famous Red-V.
Shellharbour City Dragons
Ron Costello Oval
Ron Costello Oval (formally Fuller Park) has been the home of Shellharbour City Rugby League Football Club since the mid-1950s.
- Ron Costello - Wests, Canterbury, NSW, and Australian Kangaroo. Sharks home ground name after him.
- Luke Bailey - St George, Gold Coasts captain, NSW and Australian front row forward.
- Matt Cooper - St George, NSW, and Australian centre
- Dan Hunt - St George and Country prop.
- Trent Merrin - St George, Country and NSW prop.
- Adam Docker - Penrith Panthers
- Group 7 Rugby League Premierships: 5
- 1939, 1962, 1971, 1973, 2001
- Second Grade Premierships: 14
- 1959, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1983, 1990, 2001,2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
- Third Grade Premierships: 2
- 1971, 1977
- Group 7 U-18's Premierships: 10
- 1944, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1964, 2003, 2007, 2008
- Illawarra U-18's Premierships: 3
- 2009, 2010, 2012
Source: Shellhabour Sharks Trophy Room
- Shellharbour Sharks Illawarra District Homepage
- Shellharbour Sharks Junior South Coast District Homepage
- Sharks clubpage
- Country Rugby League Homepage
- Country Rugby League
- South Coast Rugby League Homepage
- Group 7 Rugby League
- Illawarra District League
- Illawarra Rugby League