|District of Bihar|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Sheohar|
|• Assembly seats||Sheohar|
|• Total||443.99 km2 (171.43 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (3,800/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||56 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||890|
Sheohar is an administrative district in the state of Bihar in India. The district headquarters are located at Sheohar, and the district is a part of Tirhut Division. This district was carved out of Sitamarhi district in 1994. Eminent Hindi Novelist, Dr.Bhagwati Sharan Mishra was the first District magistrate of Sheohar.
The district occupies an area of 443 km² and has a population of 514,288 (as of 2001).
This district has mixed population of Hindus and Muslims. Agriculture is the main stay. It is one of the most flood affected district in Bihar. Due to over flooding of the Bagmati and Budhi Gandak rivers. Dekuli (Dhancoul) is a holy place popular for ancient temple of lord Shiva.
Sheohar district occupies an area of 349 square kilometres (135 sq mi).
The main occupation of the people of this district is agriculture. All types of crops are produced. Varieties of rice, wheat, and a number of rabbi crops are produced.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Sheohar one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 36 districts in Bihar currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
The district comprises only one sub-division,Sheohar, which is further divided into five blocks: Sheohar, Tariyani, Piprahi, Dumri-katsari, Purnahiya
The nearest airports are :
Jaiprakash Narayan International Airport, Patna (174 km)
Gaya International Airport, Gaya (~244 km)
The nearest railhead : Sitamarhi.
According to the 2011 census Sheohar district has a population of 656,916, roughly equal to the nation of Montenegro or the US state of Vermont. This gives it a ranking of 511th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,882 inhabitants per square kilometre (4,870 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 27.32%. Sheohar has a sex ratio of 890 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 56%.
Tourist Season : October to March.
Festivals :Diwali, Chhat, Durga Pooja, Holi
- Thakur Jugal Kishore Sinha [Freedom-Fighter & Member.1st Lok-Sabha, Father of Cooperative movement in Bihar]
- Ram Dulari Sinha [Freedom-Fighter, Former Union Minister & Former Governor]
- Rama Devi, Member of Parliament B.J.P.
- Dr.Dharmendra kishore mishra (president,B.J.P.)
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Bihar: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1118–1119. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Montenegro 661,807 July 2011 est."
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Vermont 625,741"