|Elevation||11 m (36 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The population of Sheoraphuli is 108,231 as per the 2001 census report. Majority of the residents are Bengalis and major religion is Hindu. The literacy rate of Sheoraphuli is 98.05% which is higher than the national average of 59.5%.
Sheoraphuli is well connected by road and rail. The Eastern Railway line has a station named Sheoraphuli railway station. Seoraphuli is around 23 km north of Howrah. The Howrah-Bardhaman Main Line and Sheoraphuli-Tarakeswar Branch Line connect Sheoraphuli. The historically famed Grand Trunk Road also passes through Sheoraphuli. State Highway 2 connects Sheoraphuli to NH 60 at Bishnupur. There is also a water transport service in the River Hooghly that connects Sheoraphuli with Barrackpore on the opposite side of the river. Nearest airport is the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata and nearest airstrip is in Barrackpore (Barrackpore Air Force Station). Sheoraphuli has the most easiest access to the transport system in hooghly. the railway station is situated just beside the national highway no 2 (grand trank road) bus stand known as sheoraphuli phanri. the Ferry ghat is just 2min away from these railway station and bus stand,ferry service is available to 10 pm at night from 6 am at morning. this ferry is connection between narrackpore and sheorphuli,whereas two connecting road namely zaminder road and sarkarpaara-mallickbagan-piarapur road connects G.T. road to delhi road with just difference of 5 min in two wheeler.
Utility services and media
The Baidyabati Municipality (ESTD 1869) is the civic administrative body of Sheoraphuli which makes it 70th cleanest city of India as per National Urban Sanitation Policy. The municipality administers an area of 12.09 km2 and supplies potable water to the city through underground pipe line. The pipe line has a length of 100 km and connects 45% of the total number of houses in this area. Electricity is supplied by the privately operated Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation (CESC) to the town region, and by the West Bengal State Electricity Board in the nearby Panchayat area. State-owned BSNL is the telephone and internet service provider in the town.
Sheoraphuli is historically famous for its Bazaar (also called Sheoraphuli hat) which is one of the largest market for raw commodities in the Hooghly district. The bazaar, situated at the riverside, is more than 250 years old. It also has a huge section for retail trading. There are several other super markets located at Sheoraphuli, primarily based on the two sides of G.T. Road. A few small and medium sized factories are incorporated in here. There are few Banks along with ATM facilities serve the people living in Sheoraphuli and nearby areas. State Bank of India being the busiest of all has a branch at Jamindar Road and has two ATM counters. Other banks like Allahabad Bank, United Bank of India, UCO Bank, Indian Overseas Bank , Axis Bank and The Baidyabati-Sheoraphuli Co Operative Bank also have their presence here.
Sheoraphuli has a number of primary, secondary and higher secondary educational institutions. Schools mainly use English or Bengali as the medium of instruction. Following is the list of schools in this area.
- Sheoraphuli Surendra Nath Vidyaniketan
- Sheoraphuli Netaji Vidyamandir
- Vivekananda High School
- St. John's Academy
- Girindra Chandra Primary School
- Jagabandhu Mukherjee Girls High School
- Ambedkar Prathamik Vidyalaya
- Pearapore Paschimpara Prathamik Vidyalaya
- Pearapore Schoolmath Prathamik Vidyalaya
sheoraphuli is famous for so many things they are listed below
- Rani rasmoni when went out for kashi ,her boat was anchored at sheoraphuli kalibari ghat for rest on that night she got a dream that a little girl come near to her and teold that there is no need to visit kasi ,retrun to kolkata and make a temple of me there im the goddess NISTARINI KALI of sheoraphuli and on your temple i would be VABATARINI. after that rani rasmoni created the legendary temple of dakshineswar and rest is history.
- Maha pravu shree chaitnya came to sheoraphuli and take fetch water on ghot with help of bamboob rod known as baak went to tarakeswar for shrabon month that ghat is now known as nimaitirtho ghat of sheoraphuli
- sheoraphuli nistarini kali temple is temple where shree krishna and nistarini kali ,brishabahana durga, shiv are worpshipped on same time and when on kali bari,
- masjid is situated near to kali bari there is no relegiuos problem,chatuganj which is muslim area a durga puja happend there muslims also take part.
- easter region's the first electrical train ran between sheoraphuli and howrah.Pandit Jaharlal nehru visit sheoraphuli for this purpose.
- the first naxalite revolution was born on naxalbari but gained its strength in sheoraphuli. communism on hooghly took birth in sheoraphuli,but when this communist power become the destroyer sheorphuli stand against it mamata bannerjee's party TMC won muncipality vote in sheoraphuli.
- west bengal's second largest brothel is in sheoraphuli.
Sheoraphuli has an eye hospital called Disha eye hospital and two privately owned nursing homes namely Mamata nursing home and Dr. Ghosh nursing home BJP in Sheoraphuly
Sheoraphuli has two cinema halls, out of which Udayan Cinema is the more popular hang-out for the young and also has its own supermarket area. The cinema hall has undergone major renovations and technological up-gradations to stay abreast with the modern era. The cinema hall boasts of some salient features like: Largest Wall-to-wall screen in the district; QUBE Digital Projection System; 5.1 Channel Digital Surround Sound; State-of-the-art acoustic and the First Online Ticket Reservation in the district. Udayan Cinema has recently launched its website: www.udayancinema.org . The other cinema hall is the Sushama Cinema known as the first Dolby digital cinema hall in Hooghly district, which is also situated near udayan cinema hall. The Satyajit Ray Bhavana is a government sponsored centre at Sheoraphuli for facilitating theater awareness. It has a large auditorium housed in an impressively architectured building. The building, besides being a modern theatrical complex, houses the Baidyabati Municipality. Kalibari is a Hindu temple Situated on the bank of the Hooghly River, the presiding deity of the temple is Nistarini, an aspect of Kali. A bathing ghat on the river and several shops are also housed in the temple complex. It is a popular hang-out for the aged. Along the riverfront there are few other bathing ghats on the river which are crowded throughout the year.In Sheoraphuli there are many stalwarts in culture, like Late Pandit Rajendranath Bandapadhyay the Indian classical music, Late Salil Ch Ghosh the senior disciple of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore, Late Ajit Adgiri renowned guitarist, Pandit Ananda Mohan Adhikary Tabla maestro of Farukhabad Gharana & Sh Debasish Adhikary Tabla maestro.
- "Sudhir Kumar Mitra". Hooghly Jelar Itihas (1st ed.). Calcutta: Shishir Publishing House. 1355.