Shep Hyken is a customer service expert, author, and speaker. His book, The Amazement Revolution, was a bestseller on lists compiled by the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. He is a spokesperson on the subject of customer service who is often interviewed on Fox News. He is the founder of Shepard Presentations which has provided customer service advice to a range of companies including Fortune 100 organizations. Hyken has been awarded the Council of Peers for Excellence (CPAE) by the National Speakers Association and installed into their Speaker Hall of Fame for lifetime achievement in the area of platform/speaking excellence. He is the current President of the National Speakers Association.
Customer Service Expert
As an authority on customer service, Hyken's message is that, in dealing with customers, businesses should be honest, courteous, and train their staff appropriately. He has been interviewed several times on Fox News, where he has weighed in on several customer service scandals, including complaints against Trump University, the General Motors recall, the UPS and Amazon delay in holiday shipping, and Comcast's refusal to close accounts at customer request.
Hyken started Shepard Presentations in 1983. Customers include Anheuser-Busch, Microsoft, AT&T, StarGas Petro, John Deere, American Airlines, AETNA, Lennox, Abbot Laboratories, Chase, Honeywell, Bridgestone, MetLife, Allstate, and American Express. Hyken is frequently engaged as a customer service speaker. In 2003, he started The Customer Focus. His message focuses on building customer loyalty, customer relations, and awareness of the customer experience. Many of his talks are recorded and viewable online as webinars.
Hyken is the author of several books that offer advice about retaining customers. In 1993, the Alan Press published Hyken's Moments of Magic. This book leverages Hyken's more than twenty years' experience in customer service.
In 1999, the Alan Press published The Loyal Customer: A Lesson From a Cab Driver which narrates the secrets of a taxi driver who builds a loyal customer base.
In 2009, Wiley published The Cult of the Customer: Create an Amazing Customer Experience That Turns Satisfied Customers Into Customer Evangelists. The book outlines a strategy for leading customers and employees through five cultural phases, from uncertainty to satisfaction.
In 2011, Greenleaf Book Group published Hyken's The Amazement Revolution: Seven Customer Service Strategies to Create an Amazing Customer (and Employee) Experience. The Amazement Revolution was on several bestseller lists: number eleven on the New York Times list, number three on the Wall Street Journal list, and number one on USA Today's list.
In 2013, Greenleaf Book Group Press published Hyken's Amaze Every Customer Every Time: 52 Tools for Delivering the Most Amazing Customer Service on the Planet.
- Hyken, Shep (5 December 2013). "Consistency Is the Key to Amazing Customer Service". CRM Buyer (ECT News Network). Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Shep Hyken on The Rory Vaden Show Episode 13: “Amazing Service”". Rory Vaden Show (Southwestern Consulting). RoryVaden.com. 27 August 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "NY AG Files $40M Lawsuit Against Donald Trump". FoxBusiness.com (Fox News Network, LLC). Money with Melissa Francis. 26 August 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Reaction to GM's CEO". FoxNews.com (FOX News Network, LLC.). 1 April 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "UPs, FedEx, and retailers under fire for holiday shipping delays". FoxBusiness.com (FOX News Network, LLC.). 26 December 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Halligan, Shannon (16 July 2014). "Customer service expert: How to break up with your service provider". kshb.com. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Shep Hyken - Get More Bookings and Sell More Product". New Haven Independent. National Speakers Association Connecticut. January 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Shep in the news and media". ShepHyken.com. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Hyken, Shep. Moments of Magic. Amazon's digital services. 2012.
- Hyken, Shep. The Loyal Customer: A Lesson From a Cab Driver. Alan PR. 1999.
- Hyken, Shep. design a strategy that leads both customers and employees through five distinct cultural phases – from "uncertainty" to "amazement." Wiley. 2009.
- ""The Amazement Revolution" with Shep Hyken". BlogTalkRadio (BlogTalkRadio.com). February 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Best Sellers: Hardcover Advice, How-To And Miscellaneous: Sunday, April 24th 2011". New York Times (New York Times Company). 24 April 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "The Amazement Revolution: Seven Customer Service Strategies to Create an Amazing Customer (and Employee) Experience". AbeBooks.com (Amazon.com). Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- Hyken, Shep. Amaze Every Customer Every Time: 52 Tools for Delivering the Most Amazing Customer Service on the Planet. Greenleaf Publishing Book Group. 2013.