Shepherd's Bush railway station
Location of Shepherd's Bush in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|OSI||Shepherd's Bush LU|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
Shepherd's Bush station is a railway station located in the district of Shepherd's Bush in west London, England, UK. It opened in 2008 on the West London Line and is served by London Overground and Southern rail services. It lies within Travelcard Zone 2.
A number of stations in the area both past and present have borne the name Shepherd's Bush; today the National Rail station shares its name with the adjacent Central line Shepherd's Bush, with which it shares a surface-level interchange.
An entirely separate London Underground station, Shepherd's Bush Market on the Hammersmith & City line is located approximately 1⁄3-mile (500 m) away. Until 2008, it too was called Shepherd's Bush until it was renamed Shepherd's Bush Market to avoid confusion.
Previously a station existed almost on the same site as the present Shepherd's Bush station. Uxbridge Road station was opened in 1869 by London & North Western Railway and the Great Western Railway on the Middle Circle route. In 1905 the line became branch of the Metropolitan Railway, and later London Underground's Metropolitan line. Uxbridge Road was closed in 1940 after the line was bombed several times during the Blitz.
In 2005, construction began on a major redevelopment project in the White City area, including the large-scale Westfield Shopping Centre, developed by the Westfield Group. Shepherd's Bush station was designed and funded by the Westfield Group as part of a Section 106 redevelopment contribution, and construction was project-managed by Capita Symonds; this project also included the provision of an integrated bus interchange and the reconstruction of the London Underground Central line station.
Building work on the West London Line station began in early 2006 and it was due to open in summer 2007. Although largely completed on time, the station was unable to open due to the northbound platform being 18 inches (460 mm) too narrow to comply with railway safety regulations, based on the anticipated number of passengers using the station. Following remedial reconstruction work on the platform, the station finally opened on 28 September 2008.
With a 2007 opening date in mind, the station was to have been served by Silverlink trains, and it was fitted out with Silverlink-branded signage. By the time the station actually opened to passenger service, the rail franchise had passed to London Overground, and the station signage was rebranded.
|Milton Keynes-South Croydon rail services|
London Overground services at this station in trains per hour are:
- 4 northbound to Willesden Junction, of which 2 continue to Stratford (all continue through to Stratford at peak times).
- 4 southbound to Clapham Junction.
Southern services at this station in trains per hour are:
- 1 northbound to Milton Keynes Central via Watford Junction
- 1 southbound to South Croydon via Clapham Junction and East Croydon
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|West London Line||
towards Clapham Junction
Milton Keynes - South Croydon
|Stations in Shepherd's Bush (present)|
There is a direct out-of-station interchange with the adjacent Shepherd's Bush tube station, which is accessed at surface level by crossing the bus way.
London Buses Routes 31, 49, 72, 94, 95, 148, 207, 220, 228, 237, 260, 272, 283, 295, 316, 607, C1 and Night Route N207 serve the station.
- Shepherd's Bush railway station (L&SWR) - a closed station of the same name south of Shepherd's Bush Common on a closed London and South Western Railway branch line
- Shepherd's Bush stations
- Imperial Wharf railway station - another newly opened station on the West London Line
- TFL: Standard Tube Map
- National Rail Enquiries: Station facilities for Shepherd's Bush (SPB) Accessed 23 July 2010]
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "Wood Lane and Shepherd's Bush Market to join Tube map" (Press release). Transport for London. 6 November 2006. Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- "Westfield London". Structural Systems. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "White City Development" (pdf) (Press release). Transport for London. 1 August 2007. Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- Barney, Katharine. "New railway station over budget...and undersized". Evening Standard. Retrieved 12 October 2007.
- "New railway station set to open" (Press release). BBC. 16 September 2008. Retrieved 16 September 2008.
- Silverlink. "Current Timetables: Sunday 20 May to 8 December 2007". Retrieved 28 October 2007.
- North London Line/West London Line timetable (GB NRT Table 59) from 20 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shepherd's Bush railway station.|
- Map of London Overground
- Some details on the transport aspects of the new development, including this station