Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (October 2011)|
|Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir|
|शेर-ए-कश्मीर कृषि विज्ञान एवं प्रौद्योगिकी विश्वविद्यालय|
|Type||State Agricultural University|
|Chancellor||ex-officio - Governor of Jammu and Kashmir|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Tej Pratap|
|Location||Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Former names||Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology|
Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences & Technology of Kashmir(Hindi: शेर-ए-कश्मीर कृषि विज्ञान एवं प्रौद्योगिकी विश्वविद्यालय) is an agricultural university located in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India. With its main campus in Shalimar, Srinagar, the University has multiple campuses, colleges, research and extension centers across the Kashmir Valley and Ladakh regions of the state.
The university was founded in 1982 by an Act passed by the State Legislature of Jammu and Kashmir. It was named after Kashmiri leader Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah who is popularly known as Sher-e-Kashmir (Lion of Kashmir). The name given to the university was "Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology" (SKUAST).
Initially, the university had jurisdiction over the entire State of Jammu & Kashmir with its headquarters at Shalimar, Srinagar. When the SKUAST Act came in force, the agricultural education, research and extension training units were transferred to SKUAST from various development departments viz; Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Sheep Husbandry and Sericulture of Jammu & Kashmir State.
In 1998-99, the territorial jurisdiction of the University was redefined by amending the SKUAST Act 1982 under which a separate agricultural University was established for Jammu Division and named as Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Jammu (SKUAST-J) with its territorial jurisdiction extended to the entire Jammu Division. The parent University was renamed as Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir (SKUAST-K)
Establishment of the university
In 1979, the expert team of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) on the proposal of state government recommended establishment of agricultural university for the advancement of agricultural sector in the state. The Act for establishment of a university under the name and style of Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences & Technology was passed by the State Legislature in the 33rd year of the Republic of India on 31 March 1982 which came into force on 1 August 1982 with its jurisdiction over the entire State of Jammu and Kashmir and headquarters at Shalimar, Srinagar.
With the establishment of Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences & Technology (SKUAST) named after great patriotic leader Jenab Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah (popularly known as Sher-e-Kashmir) the agricultural education, research and extension training units were transferred to SKUAST from development departments of Jammu and Kashmir State — agriculture, animal husbandry, sheep husbandry and sericulture. The university operates on the Land-Grant College concept following the Model Act of SAUs evolved by ICAR. It is a multicampus university.
It is a matter of great satisfaction that extremely incoherent and stagnated research infrastructure, an initial customary educational base and non-existent extension education services have given way to an organised institution of SKUAST, which has taken over responsibility of supporting the state in its effort to develop its agricultural economy in agriculture and allied sectors. There is no doubt that SKUAST has developed faster than many agricultural universities in the country.
In 1998-99, the territorial jurisdiction of the university was redefined by amending the SKUAST Act 1982 under which a separate agriculture university was established for Jammu Division and named as Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Jammu (SKUAST-J). Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir has jurisdiction over Kashmir Valley and Ladakh comprising two agro-ecological zones. These include
- Mid-high altitude temperate zone namely the Kashmir Valley covering the districts of Anantnag, Budgam, Baramullah, Pulwama, Kupwara, Bandipora, Ganderbal and Srinagar which has annual precipitation of 660 to 1400 mm with average temperature around 13 °C and the altitude ranging between 1500–2500 m amsl.
- Cold-arid region of Ladakh comprising the districts of Leh and Kargil which are cold desert with precipitation around 100–120 mm and altitude 2500–5300 m amsl and temperature fluctuating between +40 to -40 °C.
Important Phase of Development
- Major Education, Research and Extension Units of the State Government transferred to SKUAST as its starter edifice.
- Establishment of Directorate of Extension Education in 1982 for dissemination and popularisation of technology.
- University Project Report approved by the University Council for development of SKUAST in August, 1983.
- Commencement of works programme of Central Library, laboratories, associated complex and administrative block at Shalimar and Shuhama.
- Division of Post Harvest Technology, Section of Forestry and Library Services in the University established.
- Second Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Farm Science Centre) established in 1985 for Subtropical Zone at RARS, R.S. Pora, Jammu.
- Works programme for establishment of camp office at Jammu started.
- Construction of Administrative Block at main campus Shalimar completed.
- Construction of one laboratory and associated facilities at main campus Shalimar and Shuhama.
- Two KVKs, one in Budgam district and one in Srinagar district sanctioned on partnership mode (50% ICAR : 50% SKUAST).
- Agricultural Technology Information Centre (ATIC) established as single window service to the farming community by rendering all kinds of information covering agriculture, horticulture and livestock and inputs produced in the University.
- Forty eighty kanals of land handed over by Rural Development Department to SKUAST-K for Zeera Research Sub-station, Gurez in 2001.
- Agricultural Technology Information Centre (ATIC) inaugurated on 12 November 2001.
- PG Hostel at Shalimar Campus with 45-rooms completed.
- 5-set residential quarters at Shalimar and Shuhama.
- University established following new laboratories/instructional facilities/infrastructural facilities during this period :
- Mushroom Research and Training Lab, PG Faculty, Shalimar
- Biotechnology Lab, PG Faculty, Shalimar
- Quality Testing Lab, PG Faculty, Shalimar
- Central Testing Lab, PG Faculty, Shalimar
- Biocontrol Laboratory, PG Faculty, Shalimar
- Vegetable Seed Processing Unit, PG Faculty, Shalimar
- KVK-Budgam (under construction)
- Girls Hostel, FVSc & AH, Shuhama
- Girls Hostel, PG Faculty, Shalimar
- Girls Hostel, Wadura (under construction)
- Farmers’ Hostel, Shalimar (under construction)
- Gutted buildings repaired and renovated at Wadura and Mirgund
- Electricity, Water supply, roads and fencing at Shalimar, Wadura, Shuhama, Leh and other constituent units.
- Faculty of Agriculture, Wadura (Sopore), Baramulla.
- Faculty of Veterinary Sciences & Animal Husbandry, Shuhama, Srinagar.
The University Council (1982-2007)
|The University Council
|Agriculture Production Commissioners
Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
|Undergraduate Degree Programme|
|Name Of the Programme||Faculty/Venue||Discipline|
|B.Sc. (Agriculture)||Faculty of Agriculture, Wadura Sopore|
|B.F.Sc (Fisheries Science)||Faculty of Fisheries, Rangil Ganderbal||Fisheries|
|B.Sc. (Forestry)||Faculty of Forestry, Wadura Sopore|
|B.Sc. (Sericulture)||Division of Sericulture, Mirgund, Baramulla|
|B.Tech. (Agriculture Engineering)||Division of Agriculture Engineering, Main Campus, Shalimar|
|B.V.Sc. & AH.||Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, Shuhma Srinagar|
|Masters Degree Programme|
|M.Sc. (Agriculture)||Faculty of Postgraduate Studies, Shalimar, Srinagar||Agronomy, Entomology, Floriculture and land scaping, Olericulture, Plant Breeding and Genetics,
Plant Pathology, Pomology, Post Harvest Technology, Soil Science
|M.Sc. (Forestry)||Faculty of Forestry, Wadura, Sopore||Forestry|
|M.Sc. (Environmental Sciences)||Faculty of Postgraduate Studies, Shalimar, Srinagar||Environmental Sciences|
|M.Sc. (Agricultural Statistics)||Faculty of Postgraduate Studies, Shalimar, Srinagar||Agricultural Statistics|
|M.Sc. (Sericulture)||Division of Sericulture, Mirgund, Baramulla||Sericulture|
|M.F.Sc.||Faculty of Fisheries, Rangil, Ganderbal||Fisheries|
|M.V.Sc.||Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, Shuhuma, Srinagar||Animal Breeding and Genetics, Animal Nutrition, Animal Reproduction Gynecology and obstetrics, Livestock Products Technology,
Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary Microbiology and Immunology, Veterinary Parasitology, Veterinary Public Health, Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, Veterinary Pathology
|Doctoral Degree Programme|
|Ph.D (Agriculture)||Faculty of Postgraduate Studies, Shalimar, Srinagar.||Agronomy, Environmental Sciences, Entomology, Floriculture and land scaping, Olericulture, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Plant Pathology, Pomology, Post Harvest Technology, Soil Science, Food Technology|
|Ph.D (Sericulture)||Division of Sericulture, Mirgund, Baramulla||Sericulture|
|Ph.D (Veterinary Sciences)||Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, Shuhuma, Srinagar||Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, Veterinary Pathology, Veterinary Microbiology and Immunology, Veterinary Public Health|
|Ph.D (Forestry) |Faculty of Forestry, Wadura, Sopore |Forestry
Library Information System
|Central Library SKUAST-K|
20,000 Journals (Back Volumes)
Being multicampus in nature, the University has Central Library at Shalimar and College Libraries at Faculty of Agriculture, Wadura and Faculty of veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Shuhama. For Sericulture a small Library is there at the Division of Sericulture, Mirgund. Research Stations do not have library except reference literature. Since 2001-02, 11,100 books and 104 research periodicals have been added. University is subscribing to 40 International and 65 National Journals. It is rich with Books, back volumes of periodicals and CDs. University libraries have about 50,000 book accessions; 20,000 Journals (back volumes) and 10,000 Reports. Each year about 2000-3000 Books are being added. The thesis prepared by M.Sc. and Ph.D., students in various disciplines, as part of degree programme, have now been digitized. The Library Information System has been enriched with world’s leading agricultural databases. As a result scholars from other universities visit our Central Library for review.
Verities Released by SKUAST
|Rice||Ranbir Basmati, Jhelum, Chenab, Kohsaar, Shalimar Rice-1|
|Wheat||Jitto, Kailash, Mansarovar, Singchen|
|Barley||Sindhu and Norbu|
|Rapeseed/mustard||Gulchin (K 101)|
|Apple||Shireen, Firdous, Akbar, Lal Ambri, Sunehri|
|Almonds||Makhdoom, Parbat, Waris, Shalimar|
|Silkworms||SKAU-R-1, SKAU-R-6, SKAU-HR-1|