Sherborne School for Girls
|Type||Independent day and boarding school|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Founders||Mr. and Mrs. Kenelm Wingfield Digby|
|DfE URN||113919 Tables|
|Former pupils||Old Girls|
Sherborne School for Girls, informally known as Sherborne Girls, is an independent day and boarding school for girls. Located in Sherborne, North Dorset, England. The school was founded in 1899 by Mr. and Mrs. Kenelm Wingfield Digby. There are currently 440 pupils attending Sherborne Girls, with over 90 percent of students living on campus and residing in the seven boarding houses.
All girls are required to take English, Maths, a Science subject, Religion and a Foreign Language. Most girls take nine to ten GCSEs and three to four A Level subjects. Sherborne Girls also offers the International Baccalaureate programme. Some subjects at AS/A Level are taught jointly with Sherborne School as part of the co-operation between the two schools.
Both schools also collaborate in various school activities and functions such as theatre productions, joint societies and social activities.
The house system is primarily based on the boarding houses as most girls are boarders. The girls are divided into seven boarding houses regardless of whether they are boarding or day pupils. Approximately 10% are day pupils but they are fully integrated and encouraged to participate in weekend activities.
There are seven boarding houses on campus:
- Aldhelmsted East
- Aldhelmsted West (Lower fourth and upper fourth ages 11 to 13)
- Mulliner (upper sixth)
- Reader Harris (formerly Eahlstan and Thurstan)
- Wingfield-Digby (formerly Aylmar and Wingfield)
The campus includes Oxley Sports centre, which opened in 2007 with a six lane swimming pool, fully equipped fitness suite, squash courts, badminton courts, a floodlit Astro Turf hockey pitch, climbing wall, grass pitches and dance studio.
Notable Old Girls
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (February 2012)|
- Maria Aitken Actor, writer, producer and director
- Princess Rahma bint Al Hassan
- Princess Sumaya bint Al Hassan
- Princess Bagaya
- Camila Batmanghelidjh CBE, Psychotherapist. Founder and Director of Kids Company
- Rosa Beddington Biologist
- Kay Brock
- Nina Coltart Psychoanalyst, Psychotherapist
- Dame Deirdre Hutton DBE, Civil Servant
- Rajkumari Amrit Kaur Former Indian Cabinet Minister for Health
- Diana Keppel, Countess of Albemarle DBE
- Emma Kirkby DBE, Soprano
- Margaret Macmillan Professor of History, Warden of St Antony's Oxford
- Santa Montefiore Author
- Daphne Oram, British Composer and Electronic Musician
- Tara Palmer-Tomkinson Socialite
- Diana Reader Harris, English educator, school principal and public figure
- Ruth Rogers, Professional Violinist
- E. Arnot Robertson Novelist, critic and broadcaster
- Winifred Spooner Aviator
- Juliet Wheldon DCB, QC Civil Servant
- Sophie Kinsella Author
- "Partnership With Sherborne School". Sherborne Girls website.
- School Website
- Profile on the Independent Schools Council website
- Ofsted Boarding Social Care Inspection Reports
- Independent Schools Inspectorate Inspection Reports
- Profile on MyDaughter
- Independent Report on The Good Schools Guide