Sheridan County Airport
|Sheridan County Airport|
|IATA: SHR – ICAO: KSHR – FAA LID: SHR|
|Elevation AMSL||4,021 ft / 1,226 m|
Sheridan County Airport (IATA: SHR, ICAO: KSHR, FAA LID: SHR) is a county owned, public use airport in Sheridan County, Wyoming, United States. It is located two nautical miles (4 km) southwest of the central business district of Sheridan, Wyoming. The airport is mainly used for general aviation, but is also served by one commercial airline.
Great Lakes Airlines offers service to Denver, Colorado. Service was subsidized by the Essential Air Service program until February 2007, when Big Sky Airlines began providing subsidy free service (suspended in January 2008).
As per Federal Aviation Administration records, the airport had 17,710 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 14,181 enplanements in 2009, and 14,146 in 2010. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a primary commercial service airport (more than 10,000 enplanements per year).
Facilities and aircraft
Sheridan County Airport covers an area of 1,550 acres (627 ha) at an elevation of 4,021 feet (1,226 m) above mean sea level. It has two asphalt paved runways: 14/32 is 8,301 by 100 feet (2,530 x 30 m) and 5/23 is 5,039 by 75 feet (1,536 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending March 31, 2011, the airport had 40,235 aircraft operations, an average of 110 per day: 86% general aviation, 9% scheduled commercial, 5% air taxi, and <1% military. At that time there were 94 aircraft based at this airport: 70% single-engine, 22% multi-engine, 1% jet, 4% helicopter, and 2% glider.
Bighorn Airways offers airplane and helicopter air charter service, as well as an aircraft repair and installation center.
Airline and destination
The following airline offers scheduled passenger service:
|Great Lakes Airlines||Denver|
- FAA Airport Master Record for SHR ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective April 5, 2012.
- "Order 2006-10-19". U.S. Department of Transportation. October 31, 2006.
- "Order 2007-12-27". U.S. Department of Transportation. December 27, 2007.
- "Enplanements for CY 2008" (PDF, 1.0 MB). CY 2008 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. December 18, 2009.
- "Enplanements for CY 2010" (PDF, 189 KB). CY 2010 Passenger Boarding and All-Cargo Data. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2011.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010.
- Essential Air Service documents (Docket OST-1998-3506) from the U.S. Department of Transportation:
- Order 2005-1-7 (January 10, 2005): selecting Big Sky Transportation Co., d/b/a/ Big Sky Airlines (Big Sky) to provide essential air service with 19-passenger Fairchild Metro III/23 aircraft at Sheridan, Wyoming, for two years. And also directing Great Lakes Aviation, Ltd., to show cause regarding the subsidy rate on an annual basis, for its provision of service from November 1, 2004, until Big Sky Airlines inaugurates essential air service at Sheridan.
- Order 2006-10-19 (October 31, 2006): vacating Order 2006-10-11, which requested proposals from carriers interested in providing essential air service (EAS) at Sheridan, Wyoming, for a new two-year period, beginning February 1, 2007, with or without subsidy. Beginning February 1, 2007, the Department will rely on Big Sky Transportation Co., d/b/a Big Sky Airlines to provide subsidy-free EAS at Sheridan.
- Notice (December 19, 2007): of Big Sky Transportation Co. d/b/a Big Sky Airlines of the termination of its unsubsidized scheduled service at Sheridan, Wyoming, effective on January 7, 2008.
- Order 2007-12-27 (December 27, 2007): allowing Big Sky Transportation Co., d/b/a Big Sky Airlines, to suspend its unsubsidized scheduled air services at Sheridan, Wyoming, and Trenton, New Jersey, as of January 7, 2008.
- Sheridan County Airport, official site
- Aerial image as of July 1994 from USGS The National Map
- (PDF), effective December 11, 2014
- FAA Terminal Procedures for SHR, effective December 11, 2014
- Resources for this airport: