Sherifa Zuhur is an academic and national security scholar of the Middle East and Islamic world.
Zuhur was a Distinguished Visiting Professor of National Security Studies from 2004 to 2006 and then Research Professor of Islamic and Regional Studies from 2006 to 2009 at the U.S. Army War College's Strategic Studies Institute. Notable International Fellows who studied with her there included Egyptian Field Marshal Abdel Fattah el-Sisi. She has also held faculty positions at the American University in Cairo, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California, Berkeley, and Ben Gurion University of the Negev. Zuhur has contributed to numerous governmental and defense studies work groups, a NATO counterterrorism work group, legal rights reforms, and other efforts on numerous subjects including women's/gender rights, including counterterrorism and Islamic movements in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, the West Bank and Gaza. She has also testified before the United States Congress and contributed to work on human and women's rights. She is a past President of the Association of Middle East Women's Studies. and headed the British-American Association of Muslim Academics.
Zuhur has been an active advocate for legal reforms to benefit women in the region.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2014)|
Zuhur has written more than 17 books and monographs, and over 200 articles. Her works have included a multidisciplinary study of Saudi Arabia (ABC-Clio 2012) a comparative political study of the Middle East (The Middle East: Politics, History, and Neonationalism, 2006); studies on Iraq, Iran and Iraq, Egypt, terrorism and counterterrorism, Hamas and al-Qa'ida fi Jazirat al-Arabiyya for the Strategic Studies Institute; a study of Islamism and gender in Egypt (Revealing Reveiling: Gender Ideology in Contemporary Egypt, 1992); several volumes on the arts (Images of Enchantment, 1998 and Colors of Enchantment, 2001); and a biography of Asmahan (Asmahan's Secrets, 2000, 2001 and in Arabic, 2007).
- Dr. Sherifa D. Zuhur. Strategic Studies Institute (U.S. Army War College). *Faculty biography deleted after June 12, 2009.
- "Alumna Profile." UCLA International Institute, July 20, 2005l http://www.international.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=27043
- Board of Directors, Association of Middle East Women's Studies, http://www.amews.org/board.htm
- Alumna Profile."UCLA International Institute, July 20, 2005
- http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21582564-generals-who-deposed-muslim-brotherhood-are-keener-power-they-let Egypt’s army: Ambitious men in uniform
- EGM/GPLHP/2009/EP.11b"Considerations of honor crimes, FGM, kidnapping/rape, and early marriage in selected Arab nations," and EGM/GPLHP/2009/EP.11a Considerations of domestic or family violence in selected Arab Nations," at Violence Against Women Monitor' 6/16/2009 Expert_Groups_Meeting_on_Good_Practices_in_Legislation_to_Address_Harmful_Practices_Against_Women_Convenes_in_Ethiopia.html