Sheriff of Mumbai
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
The Sheriff of Mumbai is an apolitical titular position of authority bestowed for one year on a prominent citizen of Mumbai. The last Sheriff of Mumbai appointed was Dr. Mrs. Indu Shahani, principal of H. R. College, 2008.
The Sheriff is an officer of the High Court and the nominal Head of the High Court Department which carries out the orders of the High Court for summoning people, and also for attachment and sealing of properties and if ordered for their auction. The Sheriff has an office and staff but does not have executive powers of his own. The Sheriff office is in the High Court Building on the Ground Floor. In the order of precedence, the Sheriff ranks just below the Mayor. Mumbai and Kolkata (Calcutta) are the only cities in India to maintain this post.
The most important social function of the Sheriff is to receive foreign dignitaries at the airport on behalf of the city and to call condolence meetings on the demise of prominent citizens of the city.
The Sheriff presides over various city-related functions and conferences and is in charge of receiving foreign guests of the government. The post gives the incumbent close access to the Chief Minister of Maharashtra and the Municipal Commissioner of the city. It is often criticised by citizens as a waste of public money. As the post is apolitical, many prominent citizens use it as a platform to showcase their achievements and serve the citizens of the metropolis.
Former Sheriffs include:
|S. No.||Name||Term||Known for|
|1||Bhau Daji||1869||Physician, Educationalist|
|2||Bhau Daji||1871||Physician, Educationalist|
|4||M. L. Dahanukar||1948||Businessman|
|5||Joachim Alva||1949||Lawyer, journalist and politician|
|8||Shantaram M. Dahanukar||1969|
|9||Dilip Kumar||1980||Legendary Indian Thespian & Social Worker|
|10||Dr. B. K. Goyal||1981||Eminent cardiologist|
|12||Dr. Trimbak Krishna Tope||1988||Former Principal (GLC), Former Vice-Chancellor (Mumbai University), Constitutional Expert|
|13||Homi Sethna||1991||Ex-Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission of India|
|14||Fakhruddin T. Khorakiwala||1993||Businessman|
|16||Subir Kumar Choudhury||1996||Businessman|
|19||Kiran Shantaram||2002, 2003||Filmmaker|
- Nana Chudasama Social activist, 1989, 1990
- H.H. Ismail Diplomat and Consul General (DR), 1967
- Leela Moolgaokar, social worker 1975-76 
- Khwaja Abdul Hamied Scientist & Industrialist, 1953
- Chandrakant Bakshi Gujarati Littérateur, 1999
- Jehangir Nicholson, 1988
- I.M. Kadri (Architect), 1994
- Sr. Kulwant Singh Kohli, 1998
- Sadruddin Daya (Businessman), 1987
- Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
- Municipal Corporation Building, Mumbai (for details on the buildings architecture)
- Coat of arms of Mumbai
- Administrative divisions of Mumbai
- Mayor of Mumbai
- Municipal Commissioner of Mumbai
- "Actress Usha Kiran passes away at 71". The Indian Express. March 10, 2000.
- "New sheriff wants stress-free Mumbai". MiD DAY. 23 December 2003. Retrieved 31 December 2010.
- "Leela Moolgaokar (1916-1992)". Tata Central Archives. Retrieved 2014-09-04.