Sherman County, Nebraska
|Sherman County, Nebraska|
Sherman County Courthouse in Loup City
Location in the state of Nebraska
Nebraska's location in the U.S.
|Named for||William Tecumseh Sherman|
|Largest city||Loup City|
|• Total||572 sq mi (1,481 km2)|
|• Land||566 sq mi (1,466 km2)|
|• Water||6 sq mi (16 km2), 1.01%|
|• Density||5/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Sherman County is a county located in the U.S. state of Nebraska. As of the 2010 census, the population was 3,152. Its county seat is Loup City. The county was named after American Civil War Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman.
In the Nebraska license plate system, Sherman County is represented by the prefix 56 (it had the fifty-sixth-largest number of vehicles registered in the county when the license plate system was established in 1922).
- Howard County, Nebraska - (East)
- Buffalo County, Nebraska - (South)
- Custer County, Nebraska - (West)
- Valley County, Nebraska - (North)
- Greeley County, Nebraska - (Northeast)
||Valley County||Greeley County|
|Custer County||Howard County|
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,152 people, 1,392 households, and 903 families residing in the county. The population density was 5.6 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 1,392 occupied housing units and 1,941 total housing units. The racial makeup of the county was 99% White, 0.1% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.1% from other races, and 0.4% from two or more races. 1% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,392 households out of which 27.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.2% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.9% were non-families. 30.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.78.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.4% under the age of 18, 54.2% from 18 to 64, and 23.4% 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47.8 years. 50.9% of the population were female and 49.1% were male.
The median income for a household in the county was $39,041, and the median income for a family was $34,821. Males had a median income of $23,065 versus $17,269 for females. The per capita income for the county was $26,416. About 14.1% of the population were below the poverty line.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 22, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
-  Retrieved on March 14, 2008.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 22, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.