Advocate Sherman Hospital
|Advocate Sherman Hospital|
|Advocate Health Care|
|Location||1425 North Randall Road, Elgin, Illinois, United States|
|Lists||Hospitals in Illinois|
Advocate Sherman Hospital is a regional heart center that performs more cardiac procedures than any other hospital in Kane, McHenry, DuPage, Lake and Will counties. Other services include emergency services and Level II Trauma Center, cancer care services, diabetes center, orthopedic care and the birthing center with a neonatal intensive care nursery. Sherman Hospital opened on July 7, 1888, in a two-story Elgin house donated by local drug store owner and prominent businessman, Henry Sherman. There were four beds and one operating room. After numerous additions between 1895 and 1999, the hospital has grown to 353 beds.
Advocate Sherman's first open-heart surgery was performed in 1972. It was also one of the first open heart surgeries performed in a community hospital in the USA. Today, Advocate Sherman is the recognized regional heart center for the northwest suburbs ranking third in the Chicago area in patient volumes for open-heart surgery.
The new state-of-the-art hospital was built on Randall Road just south of Interstate 90 and opened on December 15, 2009. In addition to the new main hospital in Elgin, the system operates a fitness facility called "The Centre" located near the bank of the Fox River in the Elgin Civic Center. It also operates Family HealthCare clinics in Elgin, South Elgin, Algonquin, Bartlett, and Crystal Lake.
In June 2013, Sherman Hospital joined with Advocate Health Care, the largest health care system in Illinois. Later that year, the name of the hospital was changed to Advocate Sherman Hospital.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Advocate Sherman Hospital
- "Elgin Hospital to Mark 70th Anniversary", Chicago Tribune, July 20, 1958
- Garvey, Georgia (December 16, 2009), "Sherman Hospital move: Caravan of ambulances helps smooth the shift from old facility to new one in Elgin", Chicago Tribune
- Wronski, Richard (April 22, 2004), "Elgin hospital OKd for heart surgeries: Saint Joseph cuts into Sherman turf", Chicago Tribune
- "Over a Century of Growth and Caring". Sherman Health. 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2014-02-24.