Sherod Santos (born September 9, 1948 in Greenville, South Carolina) is an American poet, essayist and professor. His most recent poetry collection is forthcoming, The Intricated Soul: New & Selected Poems (W.W. Norton, 2010). His work has appeared in literary journals and magazines including Antioch Review, The New Yorker, The Paris Review, The Nation, Poetry, The Yale Review, American Poetry Review, The New York Times Book Review, The Kenyon Review, and Parnassus.
His many honors and awards include Guggenheim, National Endowment for the Arts and Ingram Merrill fellowships, and Pushcart prizes. His book, The Pilot Star Elegies (W.W. Norton, 2000), was a finalist for the 1999 National Book Award; and from 1990 to 1997, Santos served as external examiner and poet-in-residence at the Poets' House in Portmuck, Northern Ireland, and in 1999 he received an Award for Literary Excellence from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
Santos was born in South Carolina and graduated from San Diego State University with a B.A. and M.A., and studied at the University of California, Irvine and the University of Utah. He is a professor of English at the University of Missouri.
Honors and awards
- 2002 Theodore Roethke Poetry Prize for The Pilot Star Elegies
- 1998 Bernard F. Connors Prize for Poetry from the Paris Review for "Elegy for My Sister"
- 1987 National Endowment for the Arts fellowship
- 1984 The Frost Place poet in residence in Franconia, New Hampshire
- 1983 Delmore Schwartz Memorial Award
- 1983 Guggenheim Fellowship
- 1982 Ingram Merrill Foundation fellowship
- 1981 Oscar Blumenthal Prize from Poetry magazine
- 1980 Pushcart Prize in both poetry and the essay
- 1978 "Discovery"/The Nation Award
Full-Length Poetry Collections
- The Intricated Soul. W. W. Norton & Company. 2010. ISBN 978-0-393-07216-7.
- The Perishing. W. W. Norton & Company. 2004. ISBN 978-0-393-32576-8.
- The Pilot Star Elegies. W. W. Norton & Company. 2000. ISBN 978-0-393-32049-7.
- The City of Women. W. W. Norton & Company. 1994. ISBN 978-0-393-31175-4.
- The Southern Reaches. Wesleyan. February 1, 1989. ISBN 978-0-8195-1160-7.
- Accidental Weather. Doubleday. 1982. ISBN 978-0-385-18051-1.
- Begin, distance: poems. Greenhouse Review Press. 1981. (chapbook)
- International Who's Who in Poetry 2004. Taylor & Francis. 2004. ISBN 978-1-85743-178-0.
- National Book Foundation > National Book Awards > 1999
- Audio: Sherod Santos reads Variation on a Theme (I) from The Intricated Soul
- Poems: Slate Magazine > May 6, 2008 > A Place in Maine by Sherod Santos
- Poems: Poetry Society of America > The Book of Blessings by Sherod Santos
- Poem: Poetry Foundation > from Elegy for My Sister by Sherod Santos
- Poem: Valpariso Poetry Review > A Writer's Life by Sherod Santos