||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
Jackson in 1963
February 15, 1942 |
Wendell, Idaho, US
Sherry Jackson (born February 15, 1942, in Wendell, Idaho) is an American actress and former child star. She made her film debut at seven years old in the musical, You're My Everything, starring Anne Baxter and Dan Dailey. During the course of appearing in several of the Ma and Pa Kettle movies during the 1950s as Susie Kettle, one of the titular couple's numerous children, Jackson also appeared in The Breaking Point with John Garfield, the actor's penultimate role before his sudden death two years later. In 1952, Jackson portrayed the emotionally volatile visionary and ascetic Jacinta Marto in The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima, and the following year played John Wayne's daughter in the football-themed Trouble Along the Way.
Jackson may be best remembered for her role as older daughter Terry Williams on The Danny Thomas Show (AKA Make Room for Daddy) from 1953–58. During the course of her five years on the show, she established a strong bond with her on-screen mother, Jean Hagen, but Hagen left the series after the third season in 1956. Worn out from the relentless pace of producing the show, Jackson left the program once her five-year contract ended two years later.
Over the next few years, Jackson broadened her range of acting roles, appearing as a hit woman on 77 Sunset Strip, a freed Apache captive who yearns to return to the reservation on The Tall Man, an alcoholic on Mr. Novak, a woman accused of murder on Perry Mason, and an unstable mother-to-be on Wagon Train. After a 1965 appearance on Gomer Pyle, she then made guest appearances the following year on Lost in Space, My Three Sons, Batman and the original Star Trek series. On the latter program, she made one of her more memorable portrayals as the android "Andrea" in the episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?".
When Blake Edwards remade the Peter Gunn television series as a feature film entitled Gunn in 1967, Jackson was filmed in a nude scene that appeared only in the international version, not the U.S. release. Stills of the nude scene appeared in the August 1967 issue of Playboy magazine, in a pictorial entitled "Make Room For Sherry". The movie has not yet been released on VHS or DVD.
That same year Jackson began a five-year relationship with business executive and horse breeder, Fletcher R. Jones, a union that ended on November 7, 1972, when Jones was killed in a plane crash eight miles east of Santa Ynez Airport in Santa Barbara County, California. Five months after Jones' death, Jackson filed suit against his estate, asking for more than $1 million, with her attorneys stating that Jones had promised to provide her with at least $25,000 a year for the rest of her life. The litigation proved to be unsuccessful.
- You're My Everything (1949), as Jane (Age 6) (uncredited)
- Fireside Theater (1949), as Little Girl in the episode "The Doll/The Bet"
- Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town (1950), as Susie Kettle (uncredited)
- The Next Voice You Hear... (1950), as Girl in Church (uncredited)
- Louisa (1950), as Little Girl in Park (uncredited)
- Covered Wagon Raid (1950), as Susie Davis
- A Modern Marriage (1950), as Evelyn at Five Years Old
- Where Danger Lives (1950), as Girl in Iron Lung (uncredited)
- The Breaking Point (1950), as Amelia Morgan
- For Heaven's Sake (1950), as Little Girl (uncredited)
- Hello God (1951), as Little Italian Girl
- M (1951), as Little Girl (uncredited)
- Apache Drums (1951), as Child (uncredited)
- Fireside Theater (1951), in the episode "Hot Spot"
- When I Grow Up (1951), as Ruthie Reed
- The Great Caruso (1951), as Young Musetta (uncredited)
- Ma and Pa Kettle Back on the Farm (1951), as Susie Kettle (uncredited)
- Lorna Doone (1951), as Young Annie Ridd
- The Range Rider (1951), as Virginia Lee in the episode "Dead Man's Shoes"
- The Gene Autry Show (1951), as Frankie Scott in the episode "The Kid Comes West"
- The Gene Autry Show (1952), as Bonnie Ford in the episode "Rock River Feud"
- This Woman is Dangerous (1952), as Susan Halleck (uncredited)
- Something to Live For (1952), as Child (uncredited)
- The Roy Rogers Show (1952), as Lucy Collins in the episode "Unwilling Outlaw"
- Ma and Pa Kettle at the Fair (1952), as Susie Kettle (uncredited)
- The Range Rider (1952), as Susan Harper in the episode "Secret of the Red Raven"
- The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima (1952), as Jacinta Marto
- The Lion and the Horse (1952), as Jenny
- The Ford Television Theatre (1953), as Terry Pelham in the episode "All's Fair in Love"
- Lux Video Theatre (1953), as Ruthie Hammond in the episode "Look, He's Proposing!"
- Trouble Along the Way (1953), as Carole Williams
- Ma and Pa Kettle on Vacation (1953), as Susie Kettle (uncredited)
- Private Secretary (TV series) (1953), in the episode "Child Labor"
- The Danny Thomas Show (TV series, 1953–1958), as Terry Williams
- Shower of Stars (1954), as Terry Williams in the episode "Entertainment on Wheels"
- Mystery is My Business (1955), in the episode "Woman in the Chair"
- Come Next Spring (1956), as Annie
- The Charles Farrell Show (1956), as Julie in the episode "Charlie's Secret Love"
- Maverick (TV series, 1957) as Annie Haines in the episode "Naked Gallows"
- The Rifleman (TV series) (1958), as Rebecca Snipe in the episode "The Sister"
- 77 Sunset Strip (1959), as Carrie in the episode "The Kookie Caper"
- 77 Sunset Strip (1959), as Chris Benson in the episode "The Texas Doll"
- The Swamp Fox (TV series, 1959), as Melanie Culpin
- The Millionaire (1960), as Susan Johnson in the episode "Millionaire Susan Johnson"
- The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (1960), as Mignonne McCurdy in the episode "The Prettiest Collateral in Town"
- 77 Sunset Strip (1960), as Ella Jennings in the episode "Sierra"
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1960), as Mary Jane Wilkes
- 77 Sunset Strip (1960), as Shirley Bent in the episode "The Office Caper"
- Surfside 6 (1960), as Jill Murray in the episode "High Tide"
- Riverboat (1960), as Inez Cox in the episode "The Water of Gorgeous Springs"
- 77 Sunset Strip (1960), as Ophir in the episode "Trouble in the Middle East"
- Maverick (TV series, 1961), as Erma Kerr in the episode "Red Dog"
- Bringing Up Buddy (1961), as Janie in the episode "Buddy and Janie"
- The Tall Man (1961), as Sally Bartlett in the episode "Apache Daughter"
- Gunsmoke (1962), as Lacey in the episode "Lacey"
- The New Breed (1962), as Ellen Talltree in the episode "Care is No Cure"
- The Twilight Zone (1962), as Comfort Gatewood in the episode "The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank"
- Hawaiian Eye (1962), as Joan Carmichael in the episode "A Scent of Whales"
- Gunsmoke (1962), as Aggie in the episode "Root Down"
- Vacation Playhouse (1963), as Alice Watson in the episode "Come a-Runnin'"
- Mr. Novak (1963), as Cathy Ferguson in the episode "The Risk"
- Perry Mason (TV series) (1963), as Madeline Randall in the episode "The Case of the Festive Felon"
- The Lieutenant (1964), as Maggie Shea in the episode "Gone the Sun"
- Wagon Train (1964), as Geneva Balfour in the episode "The Geneva Balfour Story"
- Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. (1965), as Geraldine in the episode "Sergeant Carter Gets a Dear John Letter"
- Wild on the Beach (1965) (Lippert Productions Ltd., 20th Century Fox) as Lee Sullivan
- The Virginian (1965), as Lois Colter in the episode "Show Me a Hero"
- Branded (TV series) (1966), as Nell Beckwith in the episode "Barbed Wire"
- Lost in Space (TV Series, 1966) as Effra in the episode "The Space Croppers"
- My Three Sons (1966), as Linda June Mitchell in the episode "The Wheels"
- Batman (TV series, 1966) as Pauline in the episodes 31/32 "Death in Slow Motion" and "The Riddler's False Notion"
- Death Valley Days (1966), as Katherine Turner in the episode "Lady of the Plains"
- Star Trek (TV series, 1966) as Andrea in the episode "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"
- The Wild Wild West (TV series, 1967) as Michele LeMaster in the episode "The Night of the Vicious Valentine"
- Gunn (1967) (Geoffrey Productions, Paramount Pictures) as Samantha
- The Mini-Skirt Mob (1968) (American International Pictures-AIP) as Connie
- The Wild Wild West (TV Series, 1968) as Lola Cortez in the episode "The Night of the Gruesome Games"
- The Monitors (1969) (Commonwealth United Entertainment) as Mona
- The Interns (1970), as Jeri Spencer in the episode "The Quality of Mercy"
- Make Room for Granddaddy (1970), as Terry Williams in the episode "Make Room for Grandson"
- The Immortal (1970), as Sherry Hiller in the episode "Sylvia"
- Wild Women (1970) ABC Movie of the Week, as Nancy Belacourt
- Love, American Style (1971), as Blanche in the episode "Love and the Waitress"
- Curse of the Moon Child (1972)
- Cotter (1973), as Shasta
- Chase (1974), as Shirley in the episode, "$35 Wil Fly You to the Moon"
- Hitchhike! (1974) ABC Movie of the Week, as Stefanie
- The Girl on the Late, Late Show (1974) ABC Movie of the Week, as Pat Clauson
- Returning Home (1975) ABC Movie of the Week, as Marie Derry
- Barbary Coast (1975), as Sherry in the episode "Crazy Cats"
- Mobile One (1975), as Leslie Willis in the episode "The Pawn"
- The Rockford Files (1975), as Jennifer Sandstrom in the episode "The Real Easy Red Dog"
- Matt Helm (1975), as Elena Bosworth in the episode "Double Jeopardy"
- Starsky and Hutch (1976), as Denise Girard in the episode "Bounty Hunter"
- The Blue Knight (1976), as Mrs. Bonner in the episode "The Rose and the Gun"
- Switch (1976), as Jennie Rosenthal in the episode "The 100,000 Ruble Rumble"
- The Streets of San Francisco (1977), as Jackie Allen/Joy Adams/September Dawn in the episode "One Last Trick"
- Enigma (1977), as Kate Valentine
- Bare Knuckles (1977), as Jennifer Randall
- Barnaby Jones (1978), as Erica Hughes in the two-part episode "Final Judgement"
- The Incredible Hulk (1978), as Dr. Diane Joseph in the episode "Earthquakes Happen"
- Stingray (1978), as Abigail Bratowski
- Greatest Heroes of the Bible (1978), as Joanna in the segment "Daniel in the Lions Den"
- Brenda Starr (1979), as Brenda Starr
- Fantasy Island (1979), as Monica Jensen in the episode "Cowboy/Substitute Wife"
- Vega$ (1979), as Denise in the episode "The Usurper"
- Alice (1980), as Toni Morelli in the episode "Good Buddy Flo"
- Charlie's Angels (1980), as Tina Fuller in the episode "Homes $weet Homes"
- CHiPs (1980), as Diane in the episode "The Strippers"
- Casino (1980), as Jennifer