Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Laurie Collyer|
|Produced by||Marc Turtletaub
|Written by||Laurie Collyer|
Brad William Henke
|Music by||Jack Livesey|
|Cinematography||Russell Lee Fine|
|Editing by||Curtiss Clayton
|Studio||Red Envelope Entertainment
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
|Running time||96 minutes|
Sherrybaby is a 2006 American drama film written and directed by Laurie Collyer. Screened at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2006, the film received a limited release in the United States on September 8, 2006.
Sherry Swanson, a young woman who has recently been released from prison and is recovering from a heroin addiction, is trying to rebuild her life on the outside. Above all, she wants to repair her relationship with her young daughter, but finds the challenges more daunting than she had expected. Her daughter barely recognizes her and no longer calls her "mommy", the halfway house where she lives has a curfew that interferes with her ability to visit her family, and her relationship with her family has become tense and strained.
In between trips to visit her daughter and her job at a youth center, Sherry attends Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in an effort to beat back her addiction to heroin. She strikes up a relationship with Dean, a fellow addict she meets at Alcoholics Anonymous. The stresses of her damaged relationships with her family, satisfying her parole officer, and finding a way to reconnect with her daughter soon prove overwhelming. Sherry soon starts drinking and using drugs again, putting her parole at risk. Struggling to maintain a grip on her life, Sherry finally breaks down and admits to her brother that she knows she needs help.
- Maggie Gyllenhaal as Sherry Swanson
- Brad William Henke as Bobby Swanson
- Sam Bottoms as Bob Swanson, Sr.
- Kate Burton as Marcia Swanson
- Giancarlo Esposito as Parole Officer Hernandez
- Danny Trejo as Dean Walker
- Michelle Hurst as Dorothy Washington
- Caroline Clay as Parole Officer Murphy
- Bridget Barkan as Lynette Swanson
- Ryan Simpkins as Alexis Parks
- Stephen Peabody as Mr. Monroe
Sherrybaby received generally positive reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 74% of 66 critics gave the film a positive review, for an average rating of 6.7/10. The site's consensus is that "Maggie Gyllenhaal delivers [a] riveting performance as a recovering drug addict in a depressing and not entirely believable movie." Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, calculated a "generally favorable" average score of 66, based on 18 reviews. Entertainment Weekly praised the film as "emotionally arresting" and "authentic and moving", and describes Gyllenhaal as "such a miracle of an actress that she makes you respond to the innocence of Sherry's desperate, selfish destruction." The Christian Science Monitor also gave a positive review of the film, complimenting Collyer's "vivid eye for detail and the small, telling human moments that make a movie resonate with audiences".
|Chicago Film Critics Association||Best Actress||Maggie Gyllenhaal||Nominated|
|Golden Globe Award||Best Actress - Drama||Maggie Gyllenhaal||Nominated|
|Gotham Awards||Breakthrough Director||Laurie Collyer||Nominated|
|Karlovy Vary International Film Festival||Best Actress||Maggie Gyllenhaal||Won|
|Crystal Globe||Laurie Collyer||Won|
|London Film Critics' Circle||Best Actress||Maggie Gyllenhaal||Nominated|
|Prism Award||Performance in a Feature Film||Maggie Gyllenhaal||Won|
|Satellite Awards||Best Actress||Maggie Gyllenhaal||Nominated|
|Sundance Film Festival||Grand Jury Prize||Laurie Collyer||Nominated|
- Sherrybaby at Box Office Mojo
- Gleiberman, Owen (September 6, 2006). "Sherrybaby". Entertainment Weekly. Movie Review. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- Rainer, Peter (September 9, 2008). "Sherrybaby': emotional downpour". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- VanAirsdale, S.T. (October 23, 2006). "Putting the 'Die' in 'Indie': IFP Issues Gotham Award Noms". The Reeler. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- Official website
- Sherrybaby at the Internet Movie Database
- Sherrybaby at allmovie
- Sherrybaby at Box Office Mojo
- Sherrybaby at Rotten Tomatoes
- Sherrybaby at Metacritic