|Resident Evil character|
Sheva Alomar in Resident Evil 5
|First game||Resident Evil 5 (2009)|
|Created by||Yasuhiro Anpo (designer)|
|Designed by||Yosuke Yamagata (modeler)|
|Voiced by||Karen Dyer|
|Motion capture||Karen Dyer|
|Portrayed by||Naja Hill (promotion)|
Sheva Alomar (シェバ・アローマ Sheba Arōma ) is a fictional character in the Resident Evil horror video series by Capcom. She was introduced in 2008 as a native African operative of the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance (BSAA) and the new partner of Chris Redfield. The character received mostly very positive critical reception.
According to the character's backstory, at the age of eight, Sheva's parents died in what appeared to be a factory accident, she was taken in by her uncle to live with him and seven other children. Eventually, Sheva ran away and was found by a truck driver who took her in and looked after her, but unknown to Sheva, he was part of a rebel guerrilla group. She later joined the group and soon learned that the factory was actually the location of a final test of one of Umbrella Corporation's bio-organic weapons (BOWs); with the help of the local government, Umbrella destroyed Sheva's village and all inhabitants after the test was complete. Sheva remained with the guerrillas through her childhood. When she reached the age of 15, she was contacted by American operatives to stop Umbrella's attempt to sell a BOW. With Sheva's help, the deal was stopped and Sheva was offered a chance to start a new life in America. Sheva accepted and, within months, she was speaking fluent English and enrolled in a university two years later. After graduation, her benefactor recruited her to join the Bioterrorism Security Assessment Alliance (BSAA), an organization formed by the U.S. federal government, the UN Security Council and the fictitious Global Pharmaceutical Consortium to combat biohazardous threats around the world. While Umbrella had dissolved years before this, Sheva's hatred of Umbrella and all others like them led her to join the BSAA. Sheva was assigned to Josh Stone's unit for eight months for training, in which she excelled and was chosen to become an operative agent assigned to the BSAA's West African department.
Sheva Alomar made her first (and as of 2013, the only) game appearance in Resident Evil 5, where she is the player's ally (and an optional second player character in the co-operative gameplay mode) working with Chris Redfield as his new partner. She gets partnered with Chris Redfield at the start of the Kijuju mission as his new partner, after the loss of his previous partner, Jill Valentine. During the events of the game, Sheva helps Chris to defeat the Tricell corporation's Kijuju conspiracy and the Uroboros plot, in the end together with him destroying the villain Albert Wesker.
In the Resident Evil 5 viral advertising videos, Sheva was played by Naja Hill, while Sheva's voice and motion actress posed for the 2009 calendar while dressed as the character in her various costumes. Two action figures of Sheva were released in the RE5 series by NECA and Hot Toys in 2009. An action figure by Square Enix and a resin kit by SomaliCraft were released only in Japan. A sand globe with Sheva and Chris was included among the pre-order bonuses for the game.
Sheva Alomar, described as a "new major protagonist", has already existed at the early development phase of Resident Evil 5, but her face and background changed several times while she underwent much of redesign and re-imagining in the search for the right look "to combine two qualities, feminine attraction and the strength of a fighting woman." In fact, in-game models of Sheva have been created for some of the prior ideas that involve her being a civilian, a guerrilla or a military commander. Her character model was based on Australian actress Michelle Van Der Water but her voice and motions were performed by Karen Dyer.
Sheva was met with a largely very positive critical reception, especially for a relative newcomer to the series, so far featured in only one major game. Already in 2007, UGO.com ranked Sheva as the seventh top "videogame hottie" of all time, declaring that "RE5 may not be out yet, but we've seen enough of Sheva to know that she's got some serious acrobatic chops to go with all the zombie-slaying she'll be dishing out next year." In 2009, GameDaily featured her in the Babe of the Week galleries "Girl Power", "Brunettes" (describing her as both gorgeous and tough), and "Babes We're Thankful For". In 2010, GamesRadar included her and Chris among the gaming's seven "most violent double acts", while AfterEllen ranked her as the 17th "hottest" female video game character. That same year, PlayStation: The Official Magazine stated that "Sheva isn't just beautiful, she's smart and tough" and her addition "is probably the highlight of the Resident Evil 5 experience", giving her the Outfit of the Year award for one of her alternate costumes. GamesRadar found her attire to be one of the most practical in the series, adding that "the absolute antithesis of vulnerable, Sheva is a walking fortress that is equal parts kick-ass and intimidating feminine sexuality." In 2012, Complex ranked her as the fourth best black character in video games, as well as the ninth "hottest" video game character overall.
However, IGN called Sheva a "walking bag of useless", stating their preference for the comeback of Rebecca Chambers, and "just dumb as a rock when it comes to fighting zombies", asking for more of Jill Valentine. Her AI was also lambasted by ScrewAttack, who contrasted her with Alyx Vance from Half-Life.
- "Sheva Alomar - IGN". Uk.ign.com. 2008-07-14. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Character Concepts," Resident Evil 5: The Complete Official Guide, Collector's Edition (Prima Games, 2009), 195.
- "Celebrating 15 Years of Resident Evil - Albert Wesker's Best Bits - PlayStation Universe". Psu.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Resident Evil: Character Guide - IGN". Uk.ign.com. 2009-02-10. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Actress Tv Host and Model official site". Naja Hill. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Sheva Calendar - :: Karen Dyer ::[dead link]
- "Biohazard 5 - Sheva Alomar - Resident Evil Series 1 (NECA)". MyFigureCollection.net. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Biohazard 5 - Sheva Alomar - VideoGame Masterpiece - 1/6 - BSAA Ver. (Hot Toys)". MyFigureCollection.net. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Resident Evil 5 Hits Hot Toys - IGN". Uk.ign.com. 2009-04-24. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Action Figures - Tad's Resident Evil Hive
- "Biohazard 5 - Sheva Alomar - Play Arts Kai - Play Arts 改 -Kai- (Square Enix)". MyFigureCollection.net. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Biohazard 5 - Sheva Alomar (SomaliCraft)". MyFigureCollection.net. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Resident Evil 5 receives sand globe pre-order bonus, PSU.com, February 14th, 2009
- "Resident Evil 5 Video Game, Mocap Interview: Karen Dyer | Game Trailers & Videos". GameTrailers.com. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Resident Evil 5 - Interview with Karen Dyer — UGO.com". Gamesblog.ugo.com. 2008-10-23. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Locke Webster, Sheva Alomar – Hottest Girls in Games, UGO.com.
- "Girl Power: These Chicks Will Kick Your Ass". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2009-04-30. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Babe of the Week: Babes We're Thankful For, GameDaily, November 26, 2008.[dead link]
- Babes of the Week: Brunettes, GameDaily, January 23, 2009.[dead link]
- Meikleham, Dave. "Gaming’s most violent double acts". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2010-07-06.
- Sarah Warn, 25 Hottest Video Game Characters, www.afterellen.com, 15 October 2010.
- "Outfit of the Year: Sheva Alomar's Tribal Outfit," PlayStation: The Official Magazine 29 (February 2010): 53.
- Matt Cundy on June 23, 2012 (2012-06-23). "Which Resident Evil hero is best dressed for a zombie apocalypse?". GamesRadar. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "4. Sheva Alomar — The 10 Best Black Characters In Video Games". Complex. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Larry Hester, The 50 Hottest Video Game Characters, Complex.com, Jun 27, 2012.
- Jesse Schedeen, Players Wanted: Resident Evil 6 - Stars Feature at IGN, IGN, April 14, 2009.
- Characters Who Deserve Better: How come these guys can't get a break?, IGN, March 23, 2009.
- "ScrewAttack's Top Ten Video - Top 10: Sidekicks". GameTrailers. Retrieved 2013-10-06.