Shia Islam in Nigeria
Introduction of Shi'ism in Nigeria
Shia Islam was "almost unknown" in Nigeria until the 1980s, when Ibraheem Zakzaky introduced a syncretic blend of Shia and Sunni Islam. Zakzaky's gained a following among those disenchanted with the political and religious establishment, and were commonly identified as Shi'a (due to similarities with Khomeni's traditions).
Members of the Nigerian Shia community have been persecuted in some cases, but in other cases have united with Nigerian Sunni in the Islamic Movement in Nigeria. Cleric Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky is a primary figure in the movement.
The state government of Sokoto has reacted to the rise of Shia Islam in the state by taking such measures as demolishing the Islamic Center in 2007. Furthermore, clashes between Sunni and Shia residents followed the assassination of Imam Umaru Danmaishiyya, who was known for his fiery anti-Shia preaching.
- Muhammad Mansur Nigeria’s Zaria city crammed with mourners of Imam Hussain Jafariya News, January 29, 2007.
- Mohamed Ali Mosques vandalised in (Abuja) Nigeria clashes Jafariya News, June 10, 2004.
- Nigerian Echoes of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- Elise Aymer Nigeria: Clash of Religions The Yale International Forum, Winter 1996.
- purported Biography of Zakzaky
- "Mapping the Global Muslim Population: A Report on the Size and Distribution of the World's Muslim Population". Pew Research Center. October 7, 2009. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Miller, Tracy, ed. (October 2009). Mapping the Global Muslim Population: A Report on the Size and Distribution of the World's Muslim Population (PDF). Pew Research Center. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- Nigeria: 'No Settlement With Iran Yet', Paul Ohia, allAfrica - This Day, 16 November 2010
- Farouk Umar, Estelle Shirbon Sunni-Shi'ite tensions in ancient Nigerian city Thomson Reuters, 20 March 2008.
- Alert: Nigerian security forces crackdown on Islamic Movement in Sokoto Islamic Human Rights Commission, 20 August 2007.
- Nigeria's firebrand Muslim leaders BBC News, 1 October 2001.
- Nigerian Shia base knocked down BBC News, 1 August 2007
- Shia Centre demolished in Nigeria AhlulBayt Islamic Mission, 02 August 2007
- Statement: Nigerian Shia Muslims under Attack
- "Nigeria: Sunni-Shia clashes" WorldWide Religious News