Shiamak Davar in 2010
|Born||19 October 1961|
|Years active||1996 – present|
Shiamak Davar (born 19 October 1961) is an Indian choreographer, noted as one of the first to bring contemporary jazz and western forms of dances to India. He is known as the Guru of Contemporary dance in India. He is responsible for modernizing India’s dance scene especially in the film and theatre industry, and is respected for his ever evolving and very popular “Shiamak Style” of dance. He was also the Director of Choreography for the Commonwealth Games, Melbourne, and Commonwealth Games, Delhi. He recently choreographed the dance sequences for the movie Mission Impossible 4.
Davar has choreographed several Indian actors and celebrities for film and stage for events like the IIFA Awards and the Filmfare Awards. Bollywood actors Shahid Kapoor, Varun Dhawan and Sushant Singh Rajput were members of the Shiamak Davar Dance Company. Upcoming Indian actors Ruslan Mumtaz, Shubh and child actor Darsheel Safary were also a part of the Shiamak Davar Dance Company.
Davar won the 1997 National Film Award for Best Choreography for his work in the film Dil to Pagal Hai, as well as the Lycra (R) MTV Style Awards 2007 for 'Most Stylish Song in a Film', for the song "Dhoom Again" in the Indian film Dhoom 2. In July 2011, Davar received an honorary doctorate from Middlesex University in recognition of his contribution to entertainment in India and throughout the world.
Davar is Zoroastrian.
Davar began his career in choreography for Hindi cinema with the film Dil To Pagal Hai, for which he won the President's National Award. Having changed the way dance was perceived in Indian films, Davar went on to choreograph for several Hindi films such as Taal, Kisna, Bunty Aur Babli, Dhoom 2, I See You, Taare Zameen Par, Yuvvraaj, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Aladdin. He also trained Sumer Gill in 2014. Shiamak has shared the stage with artists such as Sting, Bryan Adams and Eddie Grant. He acted and choreographed in the movie Little Ziziou... He released a hit pop album, Shabop, for which he composed and sang songs with other Indian artists such as Shankar Mahadevan, Hariharan and Shweta Pandit as well as songs mixed and assorted by DJ Aqeel. Shiamak has also served as the performance and entertainment designer for shows such as the Sahara Sangeet Awards, the Shiamak Davar China Tour, the Seventh Cairo International Song Festival, IIFA Awards, Shiamak: The Spirit of Song and Dance South Africa, I Believe — A Shiamak Davar Spectacular and The Unforgettable World Tour.
Shiamak has directed, designed and performed at global events like the Closing Ceremony of The Commonwealth Games (Melbourne 2006 and Delhi 2010), The World Economic Forum , Davos (2006), entertained world leaders including Bill Clinton who stated Shiamak "The World Must See You", Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and has interacted and / or worked with international stars like Oprah Winfrey, Tom Cruise, Richard Gere, Will Smith, Michael Douglas, Stevie Wonder and legendary American choreographer Debbie Allen for various projects.Shiamak has directed, designed and choreographed entertainment acts for international star Jermaine Jackson, world-renowned music composer A. R. Rahman and almost every Bollywood super star for various projects across the world, including ‘The Unforgettable Tour’ - the biggest Bollywood show to tour America, Canada and the UK performed by superstars Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai and others.
As a philanthropist, he runs the VAF (Victory Arts Foundation) that teaches dance to children with mental and physical disabilities to help them experience the pleasure of expression through “dance as therapy”. His dedication to his art, unfaltering faith in God and belief in the power of prayer makes him a true role model.
Davar has been associated for choreographing the bollywood oscars called the IIFA awards for over a decade. At the recent IIFA Florida Tampa Bay 2014, Davar has choreographed hollywood stars like John Travolta and Kevin Spacey. His choreography for Hrihtik Roshan made Travolta look surprised and his jaw was hanging open.Travolta stated "He’s really brilliant as a dancer. And I’m most impressed by Shiamak Dawar’s team. They’re as good as any of the dancers at the Tonys. That was actually a performance worth watching. Two thumbs up from me". Davar has been receiving a lot of appreciation for his work.
- Shiamak Davar The Times of India, 10 December 2002
-  Wednesday 11 March 2009
- A Slice of India at C'wealth Games, The Times of India 16 March 2006
-  Shiamak Davar his mover and shaker, by Bella Jaisinghani, The Times of India, 20 July 2008
-  The official Screen India Magazine Website – Shahid Kapur's biography
- Shiamak Davar Shiamak Davar The Times of India, 10 December 2002
-  Style Award Winners – The official MTV India website – 2007 Lycra(R) MTV Style Awards Winners List
-  Www.Shiamak.com 22 June 2014
-  IMDB.com 22 June 2014
-  Pack of Cards Al Ahram Weekly 16–22 Aug 2001
-  Talk n Cafe IIFA Awards 2008 - Complete Retrospective 10 June 2008
-  Vidoevision Entertainment Website Shiamak - The Spirit of Song and Dance 8 July 2005
-  The Aditya Birla Group Website, feature on I BELIEVE
-  Buzz18.com Shiamak Davar Returns with I Believe CNN-IBN 12 November 2007
-  Bollywood World.com Unforgettable World Tour IANS 16 August 2008
-  The globe and mail news site Published Wednesday, Jun. 15 2011, 4:23 PM EDT Last updated Friday, Aug. 24 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
-  Wednesday 11 March 2009
-  www.Shiamak.com 22 June 2014
-  Firstpost.com From Kevin Spacey to Hrithik Roshan - 6 memorable IIFA 2014 moments 16 June 2014
- Shiamak Davar's Homepage
- Shiamak Davar at the Internet Movie Database