|• Hebrew||שִׁבְּלִי-אֻם אל-עַ'נַם|
|• ISO 259||Šibbli - ʔumm ˀel-Ránem (Israeli pronunciation)|
|• Arabic||الشبلي - أم الغنم|
View of Shibli
|• Type||Local council (from 1992)|
|• Total||2,879 dunams (2.879 km2 or 1.112 sq mi)|
Shibli–Umm al-Ghanam (Arabic: الشبلي - أم الغنم, Hebrew: שִׁבְּלִי-אֻם אל-עַ'נַם) is an Arab town at the foot of Mount Tabor in Israel's North District. According to the Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics, Shibli–Umm al-Ghanam had a population of 4,800 inhabitants in 2005.
The town was formed in 1992 as a result of a municipal merger of the villages of Shibli and Umm al-Ghanam.
Shibli High School is attended by 270 Arab students, many from underprivileged backgrounds. Special educational programs introduced at the school have boosted the Bagrut matriculation pass rate and percentage of graduates attending university.
Hassan Saida of Shibli–Umm Al-Ghanam owns a collection of small cast lead books featuring what is believed to be the first-ever portrait of Jesus. The books are thought to have been created by followers of Jesus in the first decades after his crucifixion. The books, containing cryptic messages in Hebrew and ancient Greek, have been in Saida's family since they were found by his great-grandfather.
- Localities with populations of 1,000 or above Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics
- World ORT, Shibli High School
- Lost for 2,000 years... Could this be the first portrait of Jesus?
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shibli-Umm al-Ghanam.|
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 1. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. (p. 409)
- Dauphin, Claudine (1998). La Palestine byzantine, Peuplement et Populations. BAR International Series 726 (in French). III : Catalogue. Oxford: Archeopress. (p. 731)
- Guérin, Victor (1880). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 3: Galilee, pt. 1. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale. (p. 140)
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2. (p. 189)
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.