|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2007)|
|Native name||泉 重千代|
|Born||1880 (or June 29, 1865)
Isen, Tokunoshima, Ryūkyū Kingdom
|Died||February 21, 1986 (aged 105/106)
Isen, Ōshima District, Kagoshima, Japan
|Cause of death||Pneumonia|
Shigechiyo Izumi (泉 重千代 Izumi Shigechiyo?, 1880 (or June 29, 1865) – February 21, 1986) was a Japanese centenarian who was titled the oldest living person after the death of Niwa Kawamoto, also from Japan. His case was verified by Guinness World Records, who titled him the oldest man ever, but Guinness later withdrew their verification and in the Guinness World Records Book 2012 Christian Mortensen is titled "the oldest verified man ever" and Izumi is not mentioned.
Death and controversy over age
After a brief hospitalization, Izumi died of pneumonia at 21:15 JST on February 21, 1986. Izumi was the longest holder of the "oldest living person" title. He was one of only two people (the other being Jeanne Calment) verified to have lived past their 120th birthday, although subsequent research has discounted the verification. In April 1987, 14 months after Izumi's death, the Department of Epidemiology at the Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology reported that research into Izumi's family registration records indicated Izumi might have been 105 when he died. Also in the Guinness World Records Book 2011, it states that "The birth certificate submitted as evidence might actually belong to his older brother, who died at a young age; if the family used Izumi as a 'necronym'—that is, gave him his dead brother's name, as the new research suggests—this means his final age was 105 years old, not 120."
- 2012 edition of Guinness World Records, p.86, ISBN 978-91-7424-168-6
- Guinness Book of Records (1993 (32nd edition) ed.). Guinness World Records Limited. October 1992. pp. 320 pages. ISBN 0-85112-978-1.
- The Guinness Book of Records, 1999 edition, p. 102. ISBN 0-85112-070-9.
- Asahi News Service, APRIL 6, 1987, MONDAY, JAPANESE EXPERT DEBUNKS IDEA OF 'VILLAGE OF 100-YEAR-OLDS'
- "The Shigechiyo Izumi Case". Supercentenarian.com. 1987-04-06. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- Matsuyama, Kanoko (June 12, 2013). "Oldest man in history dies at age 116". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 12 June 2013.