Shih Hsin University
Shih Hsin University (SHU; Chinese: 世新大學; pinyin: Shìxīn Dàxué) is a private university in Wenshan District, Taipei, Taiwan. It has been named one of the "Teaching Excellence Universities" by the Republic of China's Ministry of Education five years in a row, making Shih Hsin being among the top five schools in this category. Shih Hsin University is also ranked 9th among all private universities in Taiwan by private business owners, business managers and graduates in Taiwan in 2010 by Global Views magazine and 104 Job Bank in Taiwan.
Shih Hsin University was founded in 1956 as Shih Hsin School of Journalism by the journalists and publishers Cheng Shewo and Yeh Ming-hsun. Originally an institution devoted to training professional journalists, the school became a full-fledged university in August 1997. Now with four colleges, including the College of Journalism and Communication, the School of Management, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the School of Law, and with an enrollment of around 10,000 students.
In Chinese, Shih means "the World", and Hsin means "New" or "News". The name Shih Hsin represents both SHU's history as the "World College of Journalism" for thirty years that earned its reputation and its strong commitment to bring innovative and global viewpoints into this culturally diverse campus.
The mission of Shih Hsin University is to continuously strengthen itself as an institution emphasizing both liberalism and humanism. SHU devotes to the goals of strengthening research productivity, pursuing teaching excellence, and seeking professional achievement in order to educate citizens who are both cultivated and foresighted, with professional competence and global vision.
Schools and Programs
Within four colleges, Shih Hsin University currently has 19 departments and 3 graduate institutes, 19 offer bachelor degrees, 17 offer master degrees, and 3 offer PhD degrees.
- College of Journalism and Communication
- Communications (PhD)
- Journalism (BA, MA)
- Radio, TV & Film (BA, MA)
- PR & Advertising (BA, MA)
- Graphic Communication (BA, MA)
- Speech Communication (BA, MA)
- Information Communication (BA, MA)
- Digital Multimedia Arts (BA, MA)
- Communication Management (BA, MA)
- College of Management
- Information Management (BA, MA)
- Tourism (BA, MA)
- Economics (BA, MA)
- Finance (BA, MA)
- Public Policy and Management (BA, MA, PhD)
- Business Management (BA, MA)
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Graduate Institute for Social Transformation (MA)
- Graduate Institute for Gender Studies (MA)
- Social Psychology (BA, MA)
- English (BA, MA)
- Chinese Literature (BA, MA, PhD)
- Japanese (BA)
- College of Law
- Graduate Institute for Intellectual Property Rights (BA, MA)
- Law (BA, MA)
ADD: #1 Lane17 Sec.1, Mu-Cha Rd. Taipei, 106 Taiwan, R.O.C.
- 2010 Universities Graduates Evaluation Survey (in Chinese)
- "Yeh Ming-hsun memorial held". China Post. 2009-12-20. Retrieved 2014-04-21.