Syed Masood Hassan (20 October 1922 (13-2-1341 AH) – 29 August 1990), known by the pen name Shihab Dehlvi, was an Indo-Pakistan poet.
He was born in Delhi, India. His father's name was Syed Manzoor Hassan Rizvi. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree.[where?] He was tutored in poetry by Khayam-Ul-Hind Haider Dehlvi. He married on 4 May 1947. His children were Shahood Rizvi, Mashood Rizvi, Shahid Rizvi, Zahid Rizvi, Abid Rizvi, Saeeda Ali, Rashida Mansur and Ghazala Kamal.His son Dr. Shahid Hassan Rizvi is working as Chairman of the History Department of Islamia University Bahwalpur at Bughdad ul Jadeed Campus. He served as an army education instructor in Delhi in 1940, and as an information officer in Lahore in 1958. He edited Ilham in Delhi from May 1940 to August 1947. In October 1947, he migrated Pakistan.He died in Bahawalpur, Pakistan, in 1990.
- Jang Nama
- This is a pak baharat jung rimzia poetry and it was published in 1965. It was published by the "classic" lahore.
- This collection including hamd, naat, qaseeda and marsia's extended up to 192 pages. It was published in 1974 size by maktaba-e- ilham Bahawal Pur.
- This collection including ghazals and poems extended to 190 pages. It was published in 8x18x 23 sizes in 1985 by Urdu Academy Bahawal Pur.
- Metehee Batain
- This belongs to the poems written in the early age. It is under publication. Before its name was suggested as "nazm-e-etfal". But now the name is amended as "meethee batain" and being published by Shihab Academy Bahawal Pur.
- Khawaja Ghulam Fareed
- A famous Sirayki poet Khawaja Ghulam Fareed's personality and art have been discussed in this book. Its preface is written by Maj. Shams-Ud-Din the former minister of Bahawal Pur state. Twenty Sirayki cafeayan of Khawaja Fareed and its poetic translation also included.
- The Urdu poetry of Khawaja Fareed has also been reviewed. It is extended to 326 pages. It was published in 8x18x23 sizes first time by Urdu Academy Bahawal Pur in 1963. While its second edition in same size was republished by Urdu Academy Bahawal Pur in 1973.
- Khita-E-Pak Uch
- In this book the different historical periods of "uch" have been discussed also the literary and religious services of venerable personalities of "uch" reviewed.
- This book is written in the modern style of history, and the rules of research and criticism have been considered. It is extended to 440 pages. It was published in 8x18x23 sizes first time in 1967 by Urdu Academy Bahawal Pur. Its second edition published in 1982.
- Bahawal Pur Main Urdu
- The literary history of Urdu in Bahawal Pur is the main topic of the book under review. In the start the language relationship of Urdu and Sirayki have been discussed. The remaining pages are regarding starting and promotion of Urdu in Bahawal Pur.
- Its preface is written by Dr. Rafique Ahmed vice-chancellor Islamia University Bahawal Pur.
- Bahawal Pur Key Siyasi Tareekh
- This book includes the details of existence and the end of former state of Bahawal Pur and campaign for the restoration of former province of Bahawal Pur. It is extended up to 447 pages. It was published in 8x18x23 size by maktaba ilham in 1970.
- Olya-E-Bahawal Pur
- Safer Hee Safer
- Wadi-E-Jamna Say Wadi-E-Hakra Tuk
- Mashaheer-E-Bahawal Pur
- Takmila Sair-Ul-Olya
- Bahawalpur Key Qadeem Dastawizat
- Bahawalpur Key Salmiyat
Shihab Dehlvi Academy
After the death of Shihab Dehlvi his students and followers to continue his literary mission founded "Shihab Dehlvi Academy" and made his student the famous poet and writer Mr. Tabish Alwari its president. Amongst its aim is to make known and spreads the thoughts of Shihab dehlvi by compiling his unpublished writings are a priority. For the achievements of his aim Shihab Dehlvi Academy despite its limited funds is struggling hard. Every year a seminar is held in which intellectuals and scholars are invited from all parts of the country, who deliver lectures on literary and scholarly subjects. The work of compiling of unpublished writings of Shihab Dehlvi is also progressive. In this way different scholars commented upon his poetry, research and literary work. At this time two books have been published that is Asman-e- Takhleeq Ka Shihab written by Dr. Tahir Taunswi a great scholar, poet and critic. Another book Shihab Dehlvi kay shairey Rawiay has been written by Qudrat Ullah Shehzad in which the poetry of Shihab Dehlvi has been analysed in the light of various subjects.
Amongst his unpublished writings the book Meithei Batain is under publishing. These are those poems for children that Shihab Dehlvi had written in his childhood. In fact it is a presentation of world of children in verse. There are hundreds of other published and unpublished papers which are awaiting research.
Research thesis on Shihab Dehlvi have been written on M.A, M- Phil and PhD levels whose publication is also a part of Academy programme. Few books are also published which tribute Mr. Shihab Dehlvi. i.e. Jahan-e-Takhleeq ka Shihab, Shihab Dehlvi k Shir-e rawiye.
Apart from Shihab Dehlvi Academy the institution Maktaba Ilham established by Shihab Dehlvi is also being gained the respect of the literary and religious circles. Now Maktaba Ilham have been merged in Shihab Dehlvi Academy. Consequently monthly Ilham also been published by Shihab Dehlvi Academy. Rather the books of maktaba Ilham will also be published under the auspices of Shihab Dehlvi Academy
In recognition of Shihab Dehlvi social services president Ayub Khan honoured him with a certificate and a license free pistol.[clarification needed]
In 1998 on the occasion of the centenary celebration of "Jashn-e-Fareed" Islamia University Bahawalpur awarded a Gold Medal to Shihab dehlvi ranking him the foremost research scholar on Khawaja Fareed. His elder son Shahood Rizvi received this medal.
Mustahiq Tu Hum Bhee Thay Azaz -O- Manseb Kay "Shihab"
Es Jehan–E–Kar Ferma Main Koee Apna Na Tha.
In the literary, cultural, social and the political life of Bahawal Pur the position of "Shihab Dehlvi" is like a core centre.
The message of Shihab Dehlvi
For serving one's nation it is necessary to remember our benefactors. Our benefactors are great figures of historical heritage. If this attitude of neglect remains as such towards our well wisher, men of generous and literary personalities. Then who will have the courage to serve the nation. It is necessary to thaw this mountain of coldness. An effort should be made to keep afresh these forgotten memories. Which is the wealth of our historical national accomplishments, so that the movement of practical work may continue.