Fernandez at WonderCon, March 2013
|Born||Shiloh Thomas Fernandez
February 26, 1985
Ukiah, California, U.S.
Shiloh Thomas Fernandez (born February 26, 1985) is an American actor. He is known for his roles in the television series Jericho and United States of Tara, and the films Deadgirl, Red Riding Hood, and the 2013 remake of Evil Dead, in the lead role.
Fernandez was born in Ukiah, California. He has Portuguese ancestry. He has a younger sister and a brother. His stepfather is a contractor. Before becoming an actor, Fernandez began working as a dishwasher, and an American Apparel catalog model hand-picked by the company's CEO, Dov Charney, for his then-fledgling company. Later arriving to Los Angeles, he asked Charney for a job and was hired as a stock boy; Fernandez has described working in the stock room as "awful" and the "worst job ever". His first acting gig was a commercial for First 5 California that was directed by Vadim Perelman.
2006–10: Early work
After completing a short film, Fernandez made his debut television appearance in a 2006 episode of Cold Case, followed by minor roles in Drake & Josh and Lincoln Heights. His screen debut came two years later, in 2007, when he landed the role of Edgar in Interstate before returning to TV. He landed his first recurring role in Jericho as Sean Henthorn between 2006 and 2007. The series was cancelled after just one series before a campaign by fans saw it return for a second before being cancelled once again.
In 2008, Fernandez became one of the front-runners to play Edward Cullen after he auditioned for Catherine Hardwicke in her Venice Beach garage, during the casting of Twilight. Fernandez was allegedly Hardwicke's first choice, but it was up to Kristen Stewart who had the last say. Shiloh later recalled on his narrowly missed opportunity, "At the time, it was just another audition. I didn't realize I was missing out on stardom and giant paychecks. Now, looking back on it, I certainly wouldn't have been mentally stable enough to deal with all that. Lucky for me, not getting that part led to other work that was a much better fit for me." Fernandez, who had no formal training, admitted being bashful around other actors during rehearsals. Having done an array of television shows (CSI:NY, The United States of Tara) including starring in the Gossip Girl episode "Valley Girls" as Owen Campos, alongside Brittany Snow and Krysten Ritter. He eventually landed his first big break playing a troubled small-town Texas rink manager in the 2010 Sundance hit Skateland with Twilight alum Ashley Greene.
Though he lost the Twilight role to Robert Pattinson, Hardwicke liked Fernandez enough to cast him in what would be his first romantic lead, in Red Riding Hood, opposite Amanda Seyfried. The role became his Hollywood movie breakthrough, making him a hot commodity. MTV Networks' NextMovie.com named him one of the 'Breakout Stars to Watch for in 2011'. As he shot into the spotlight, he was the cover model of Nylon Guys' March 2011 issue, introducing him as "Hollywood's New Rebel", and was the cover man for the April/May 2011 issue of Da Man magazine.
Fernandez has spoken about smoking pot during his high school days to help him relax, and has stated that he does not "need to be stoned anymore. Weed was never fun for me—I was just uncomfortable with myself so I wanted to be stoned. But just being comfortable in my own skin now means I don't have to do it". His favorite movie of all time is The Thing Called Love and River Phoenix is his idol. Fernandez has stated that if he were not acting, he would have majored in Spanish, moved to South America, and run a banana farm or worked in construction, because he is good with his hands; or, if he was better at it, a writer. Fernandez has an affinity for country music, and his dream role is to play a country music star. He is a friend of actor Thomas Dekker.
|2007||Crossroads: A Story of Forgiveness||Justin Gutierrez||Television film|
|2008||Gardens of the Night||Cooper|
|2008||Warehouse Job, TheThe Warehouse Job||Richard||Short film|
|2008||Cadillac Records||Phil Chess|
|2009||16 to Life||Rene|
|2011||Red Riding Hood||Peter|
|2013||East, TheThe East||Luca|
|2013||Evil Dead||David Allen|
|2013||White Bird in a Blizzard||Phil||Post-production|
|2013||Queen of Carthage||Amos||Post-production|
|2014||Return to Sender||William Finn||Post-production|
|2006||Cold Case||Valentino||Episode: "One Night"|
|2006–2007||Jericho||Sean Henthorn||7 episodes|
|2007||Drake & Josh||Julio||Episode: "The Storm"|
|2007||Lincoln Heights||T.J.||Episode: "Baby Doe"|
|2008||CSI: NY||Jake Fairwick||Episode: "All in the Family"|
|2008||Cleaner, TheThe Cleaner||Ray Crin Jr.||Episode: "Here Comes the Boom"|
|2009||United States of Tara||Benjamin Lambert||3 episodes (1 uncredited)|
|2009||Gossip Girl||Owen Campos||Episode: "Valley Girls"|
|2009||Three Rivers||Scott Becker||3 episodes (1 uncredited)|
|2011||"We Still Burn" (directed by Shiloh Fernandez)||Top Shelf|
|2012||"Let's Forget All the Things That We Say"||Julia Stone|
- "15 MORE Stars You Thought Were Latino—But Aren't!". Latina. October 6, 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2012.
- blue, taylor (8 April 2011). "Shiloh Fernandez Is Da Man". tengossip.com. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- DeSalvo, Robert (9 March 2011). "Next Factor: Shiloh Fernandez". Next Movie. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- Jacobs, Mark. "Shiloh FERNANDEZ". Interview. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Printed Matter: Shiloh Fernandez in Nylon Guys". Magnificent Obsession. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- Earnshaw, Helen (12 April 2011). "Introducing Shiloh Fernandez". Female First. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Drake, Rossiter (6 March 2011). "Shiloh Fernandez is lookin' good". The San Francisco Examiner. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- "Ben, Jackson & Shiloh all auditioned for Robert Pattinson's Edward Cullen role". OK!. 20 August 2009. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- Cole, Rachel T. (27 January 2011). "Shiloh Fernandez: New Teen Idol". VMAN. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- Yamato, Jen (14 March 2011). "Shiloh Fernandez Talks Red Riding Hood, Skateland and Dissing Kristen Stewart". Movieline. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- Evry, Max (5 January 2011). "25 Breakout Stars to Watch for in 2011". Next Movie. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- Darwin, Liza (23 February 2011). "Cover Guy: Shiloh Fernandez". Nylon Guys. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- Amanda Seyfried's Romantic Interest Cast in Hardwicke's 'Riding Hood'
- Kroll, Justin (9 May 2011). "Shiloh Fernandez, Amber Heard pour 'Syrup'". Variety. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- Harmsworth, Andrei (6 February 2011). "Shiloh Fernandez: I don't envy Robert Pattinson's fame". Metro. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- DeSalvo, Robert (12 March 2011). "My Favorite Movie: Shiloh Fernandez". Next Movie. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- "Plushgun". YouTube. 22 November 2008. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "Cary Brothers - Ride [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO] by Tyler Shields". YouTube. 25 February 2008. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "Top Shelf "WE STILL BURN" (OFFICIAL VIDEO)". YouTube. 29 September 20. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Julia Stone - Let's Forget All The Things That We Say". YouTube.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shiloh Fernandez.|