||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
|Birth name||Apeksha Rao|
11 April 1984 |
Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
|Genres||Pop, Indian classical music|
|Years active||2006 – present|
She was born on 11 April 1984 in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. Her father, S. V. Rao, who held a degree in music, introduced her to music. For her education, she went to Little Flower School, Jamshedpur where she performed in the school choir.
Although she started her career singing advertising jingles, Rao soon moved on to film music. In 2006 she recorded the song "Tosey Naina Lagey" for the movie Anwar and "Saiyaan Re" for the film Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love. She went on to perform songs in films like One Two Three, The Train ("Gupchup"), Aamir ("Ek Lau"), Dev D ("Dhol Yaara Dhol", "Ranjhana"), Gulal ("Aisi Saaza"). She has sung one Tamil song in Naan Mahaan Alla ("Oru Maalai Neram") for Yuvan Shankar Raja.She recently appeared on Star World's popular TV series "The Dewarists" in collaboration with "Agnee" and "Parikrama". She has also sung some Bengali songs mostly with Jeet Ganguly. She also Sung a Song Bekaboo from the Serial Navya.
An article published in the Hindustan Times in 2009 described her as one of the most prominent singers in the "wave" of "young, little-known singers" then sweeping through Bollywood. She is also a part of band, Band Called Nine, with lyricist Neelesh Misra and composer Amartya Rahut, working with traditional Indian craft of Qissa Goi (storytelling). In 2011, the band released its debut album, Rewind, consisting of songs and storytelling, put together with a narrative.
- Ek Ajnabee - Stranger On The Prowl
- Anwar - Javeda Zindagi (Tose Naina Laage)
- Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love - Saiyyaan Re
- The Train - Woh Ajnabee, Teri Tamanna
- Gandhi My Father - Pain (Raghupati Raghav), Faith, Gandhi's Favourite
- Gulaal - Aisi Sazaa
- Aagey Se Right - Mahiya
- Aamir - Ek Lau
- Konchem Ishtam Konchem Kashtam(Telugu) - Egire Egire, Abacha
- Sikandar - Manzaraat
- Dev.D - Dhol Yaara Dhol, Ranjhana
- Bachna Ae Haseeno - Khuda Jaane
- Puthiya Mukham (Malayalam)
- Hijack - Koi Na Jaane
- Paa - Mudhi Mudhi Ittefaq Se, Udhi Udhi Ittefaq Se
- Toh Baat Pakki! - Dil Le Jaa
- Admissions Open - Aasman Ke Paar
- Lahore - Rang De, O Re Bande
- Naan Mahaan Alla (Tamil)
- Lafangey Parindey - Nain Parindey
- Anjaana Anjaani - Anjaana Anjaani, I Feel Good
- No One Killed Jessica - Yeh Pal
- That Girl in Yellow Boots - Ladkhadaaya
- Memories in March - Kaisi Azeeb Dawat
- Yeh Saali Zindagi - Dil Dar-Ba-Dar, Yeh Saali Zindagi, Yeh Saali Zindagi
- Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge - Uh-Oh Uh-Oh
- Ladies vs Ricky Bahl - Jazba
- Pappu Can't Dance Saala - Lamha, Jadoo
- Desi Boyz - Allah Maaf Kare
- Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu - Aahatein, Gubbare, Kar Chalna Shuru Tu
- Jodi Breakers - Jab Main Tumhare Saath Hun
- Cocktail - Yaariyaan
- English Vinglish (Hindi, Tamil, Telugu) - English Vinglish, Gustakh Dil
- Jab Tak Hai Jaan - Ishq Shava
- Awara-moner Radio
- Lootera - Manmarziyan
- 3G - Khalbali (Hindi)
- Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani - Subhanallah
- Malang - Dhoom 3
- Teri Aakhein - Saiyaan
- Navya..Naye Dhadkan Naye Sawaal - "Bekaboo"
- Band Called Nine (Shilpa Rao, Neelesh Misra, Amartya Rahut) - Rewind
- The Dewarists (Season One) - I Believe
- MTV Unplugged (Season One)
- Coke Studio @ MTV Season 2 - Hallelujah, Shedding Skin
Shilpa won the Best Female Playback Singer at the Star Screen Awards, 2008 for the song "Khuda Jaane" from the movie Bachna Ae Haseeno. The song was also adjudged the Song of the Year. She also has won Best Singer award at Indian Television Academy Awards for Navya..Naye Dhadkan Naye Sawaal.
- "Tracking playback singer Shilpa Rao's success Published: Wednesday,". DNA (newspaper). Dec 21, 2011.
- George, Liza (April 7, 2008). "New Kid on the Block". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- Nanda, Malvika (2009-08-08). "Coup in Bollywood". Hindustan Times. p. 17. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "Shilpa Rao to sing for webcert online". Hindustan Times. December 19, 2011.
- "Band Called Nine releases its debut album". The Indian Express. May 6, 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Neelesh Misra: Reviving the traditional storytelling". CNN-IBN (IBN LIVE). 18 Sept 2012.