||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
|Birth name||Apeksha Rao|
|Born||Template:Birth date and df=4
Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
|Genres||Pop, Indian classical music|
|Years active||2006 – present|
She was born on 11 April 1984 in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. Her father, S. V. Rao, who held a degree in music, introduced her to music. For her education, she went to Little Flower School and Loyola School, Jamshedpur.
Although she started her career singing advertising jingles, Rao soon moved on to film music. In 2006 she recorded the song "Tosey Naina Lagey" for the movie Anwar and "Saiyaan Re" for the film Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love. She went on to perform songs in films like The Train ("Woh Ajnabee"), Aamir ("Ek Lau"), Dev D ("Dhol Yaara Dhol", "Ranjhana"), Gulal ("Aisi Saaza"). She has sung one Tamil song in Naan Mahaan Alla ("Oru Maalai Neram") for Yuvan Shankar Raja.She recently appeared on Star World's popular TV series "The Dewarists" in collaboration with "Agnee" and "Parikrama". She has also sung some Bengali songs mostly with Jeet Ganguly. She also Sung a Song Bekaboo from the Serial Navya.
An article published in the Hindustan Times in 2009 described her as one of the most prominent singers in the "wave" of "young, little-known singers" then sweeping through Bollywood. She is also a part of band, Band Called Nine, with lyricist Neelesh Misra and composer Amartya Rahut, working with traditional Indian craft of Qissa Goi (storytelling). In 2011, the band released its debut album, Rewind, consisting of songs and storytelling, put together with a narrative.
In 2012, Rao sang 'Yaariyaan' for Cocktail.The song got critical success and went on to became a chart-buster eventually.She ended the year 2012 by working with academy award winner A. R. Rahman for the song 'Ishq Shava' in Yash Chopra's last film Jab Tak Hai Jaan. The song was received well by the critics and public. In 2013, Rao sang 'Malang' - Dhoom 3 which gave her critical success. The song went on to become a rage and then a chart-buster.
- Teri Aakhein - Saiyaan
- Navya..Naye Dhadkan Naye Sawaal - "Bekaboo"
- Band Called Nine (Shilpa Rao, Neelesh Misra, Amartya Rahut) - Rewind
- The Dewarists (Season One) - I Believe
- MTV Unplugged (Season One)
- Coke Studio @ MTV Season 2 - Hallelujah, Shedding Skin
Shilpa won the Best Female Playback Singer at the Star Screen Awards, 2008 for the song "Khuda Jaane" from the movie Bachna Ae Haseeno. The song was also adjudged the Song of the Year. She also has won Best Singer award at Indian Television Academy Awards for Navya..Naye Dhadkan Naye Sawaal. She has also won 2 GIMA Awards.
- "Tracking playback singer Shilpa Rao's success Published: Wednesday,". DNA (newspaper). Dec 21, 2011.
- George, Liza (April 7, 2008). "New Kid on the Block". The Hindu. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- Nanda, Malvika (2009-08-08). "Coup in Bollywood". Hindustan Times. p. 17. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "Shilpa Rao to sing for webcert online". Hindustan Times. December 19, 2011.
- "Band Called Nine releases its debut album". The Indian Express. May 6, 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2011.
- "Neelesh Misra: Reviving the traditional storytelling". CNN-IBN (IBN LIVE). 18 Sep 2012.