||This article's introduction section may not adequately summarize its contents. (November 2012)|
Shin Min-a at LG Cinema 3D World Festival, on March 31, 2012
April 5, 1984
Seongnam, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea
|Education||Dongguk University - Performing Arts|
|Years active||2001 – present|
|Revised Romanization||Sin Min-a|
|Revised Romanization||Yang Min-a|
Shin Min-a began her career as a model for teen magazine KiKi in 1998, then appeared in several music videos for K-pop boyband g.o.d., until her acting debut in 2001. The newcomer quickly rose to stardom, through the high school martial arts comedy Volcano High with Jang Hyuk, and the college romance Madeleine with Zo In-sung. She took on a supporting role in Kim Ji-woon's film noir A Bittersweet Life, reuniting her with previous Beautiful Days co-star Lee Byung-hun. This was followed by leading roles in the melodrama A Love to Kill with Rain, the romantic comedy The Beast and the Beauty with Ryoo Seung-bum, and the psychological thriller The Devil with Uhm Tae-woong and Joo Ji-hoon.
As Shin entered her mid-twenties, she began showcasing more maturity in her choice of roles, playing a sexy counterculture singer in Go Go 70s, an unfaithful wife in The Naked Kitchen, and a cynical young woman in search of her father in Sisters on the Road. But Shin became best known for her portrayals of supernatural horror icons revamped into endearingly innocent yet spunky heroines in the rom-com My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox, and the historical drama Arang and the Magistrate.
Shin is one of the most in-demand and highest paid commercial endorsers in South Korea. Notable among her forays into branded entertainment is the 2008 multi-episode Summer Days opposite Hyun Bin and Ryoo Seung-bum for LG Xnote featuring music by You Hee-yeol, as well as Friends & Love, a movie-style extended advertisement for Giordano in 2011 costarring Jung Woo-sung and So Ji-sub.
In 2009, Shin went to Milan, Italy to shoot a photo spread for Elle Korea with Calvin Klein model Jamie Dornan. In 2011, she was chosen as the first Asian model for the DIY Project ad campaign of American clothing brand Rag & bone, then was subsequently featured in The New York Times's T Magazine.
|2001||Beautiful Days||Lee Min-ji||SBS|
|2005||A Love To Kill||Cha Eun-seok||KBS2|
|2007||The Devil||Seo Hae-in||KBS2|
|2010||My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox||Mi-ho||SBS|
|2012||Arang and the Magistrate||Arang/Lee Seo-rim||MBC|
|2001||Volcano High||Yoo Chae-yi|
|2005||A Bittersweet Life||Hee-soo|
|Sad Movie||Ahn Su-eun|
|The Beast and the Beauty||Jang Hae-ju|
|2007||My Mighty Princess||Kang So-hwi / Ok-soon|
|2008||Go Go 70s||Mimi|
|I Like It This Way|
|2009||The Naked Kitchen||Ahn Mo-rae|
|Sisters on the Road||Park Myung-eun|
|A Million||Jo Yoo-jin|
|1999||"A Request"||Lee Seung-hwan|
|"Eyes Want to Travel"||Leon Lai|
|"Love and Remembrance"||g.o.d.|
|2000||"After You Left Me"||g.o.d.|
|"Do You Know?"||Jo Sung-mo|
|2001||"With Coffee"||Brown Eyes|
|"I Love You"||Cha Tae-hyun|
|"You Just Don't Know"||g.o.d.|
|2008||"Summer Day"||You Hee-yeol
feat. Shin Jae-pyung of Peppertones
|"My Happy Day"||You Hee-yeol
feat. Shin Min-a
feat. Shin Min-a
|Year||Track||From the Album|
|2003||"Oppa, I Love You"||Punch OST|
|"Pray for Yoo-bin"|
|2008||"My Happy Day"||You Hee-yeol - Summer Days|
|"Night Train"||Go Go 70s OST|
|2009||"A Year Later"||The Naked Kitchen OST|
|"Miracle Blue"||Loveholics - In the Air|
|2010||"Sha la la"||My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox OST|
|"I Can Give You All"|
|2012||"Black Moon"||Arang and the Magistrate OST|
|2008||Maxim T.O.P||Until 2012, with Won Bin|
|2009||Calvin Klein||Until 2010|
|Jinro Soju||Until 2013|
|2010||LG Xnote||Until 2012, with Hyun Bin & Song Joong-ki|
|Vivien Bra||Until 2011|
|2011||Giordano||Until 2013, with So Ji Sub|
|SK Telecom 45 LTE||with Kim Soo-hyun|
Awards and nominations
|2003||SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||
|2006||Dior Timeless Beauty Award||Recipient||Won|
|2008||4th University Film Festival of Korea||Best Supporting Actress||
|2009||6th Max Movie Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|17th Chunsa Film Art Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|2nd Style Icon Awards||Female Fashionista||Won|
|3rd Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Fashionista||Won|
|2010||Korean Advertisers Association Awards||Good Model Award||Won|
|3rd Style Icon Awards||Style Icon Actress, TV category||My Girlfriend is a Nine-Tailed Fox||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Won|
|Top Ten Stars Award||Won|
|Best Couple with Lee Seung-gi||Won|
|TVCF Awards||CF Model Awards||Won|
|2011||1st Cosmo Beauty Awards||Beauty Icon of the Year||Won|||
|2012||MBC Drama Awards||Best Couple with Lee Jun-ki||
|Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Nominated|
- Paquet, Darcy. "Volcano High". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "K-FILM PREVIEWS: 고고 70s (Go Go 70s)". Twitch Film. 1 October 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Shin, Hae-in (14 April 2009). "Stunning ending polarizes audiences in sisterhood movie". Yonhap. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Oh, Jean (9 August 2010). "Will two big stars create fireworks?". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- Oh, Jean (12 August 2012). "Shin Min-a returns to supernatural in Tale of Arang". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (5 July 2012). "Shin Min Ah was Lazy and Conceited in her Early 20s". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "신민아, 파리지엔느 변신 14일간 프랑스 여행기 공개". Newsen (in Korean). 15 October 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "프렌치 다이어리". Aladin (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (22 August 2012). "Shin Min Ah Lends her Voice for Arang and the Magistrate OST". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (23 August 2012). "Shin Min-a to sing on drama OST". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "현빈-신민아-류승범 XNOTE CF 새 모델". No Cut News (in Korean). 23 June 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "정우성-소지섭-신민아-타이거JK, 지오다노 모델 선정…'열풍 기대'". SSTV (in Korean). 31 January 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "The Lover". Elle Korea (in Korean). 28 September 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "DIY Project: Mina Shin". Rag & bone. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Style to a T: Mina Shin". T Magazine. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (28 April 2012). "Shin Min-a featured in New York Times". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Icon of Asian beauty". Korea JoongAng Daily. 12 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shin Mina.|