Shin Min-a (born Yang Min-a on April 5, 1984) is a South Korean actress. She is best known for starring in television dramas such as A Love to Kill and My Girlfriend Is a Nine-Tailed Fox.
Shin Min-a began her career as a model for teen magazine KiKi in 1998, then appeared in several music videos for K-pop boyband g.o.d., until her acting debut in 2001. The newcomer quickly rose to stardom, through the high school martial arts comedy Volcano High with Jang Hyuk, and the college romance Madeleine with Jo In-sung. She took on a supporting role in Kim Ji-woon's film noir A Bittersweet Life, reuniting her with previous Beautiful Days co-star Lee Byung-hun. This was followed by leading roles in the melodrama A Love to Kill with Rain, the romantic comedy The Beast and the Beauty with Ryoo Seung-bum, and the psychological thriller The Devil with Uhm Tae-woong and Joo Ji-hoon.
As Shin entered her mid-twenties, she began showcasing more maturity in her choice of roles, playing a sexy counterculture singer in Go Go 70s, an unfaithful wife in The Naked Kitchen, and a cynical young woman in search of her father in Sisters on the Road. But Shin became best known for her portrayals of supernatural horror icons revamped into endearingly innocent yet spunky heroines in the rom-com My Girlfriend Is a Nine-Tailed Fox (2010), and the historical drama Arang and the Magistrate (2012).
After appearing in The X, a 2013 spy thriller short film directed by Kim Ji-woon, Shin returned to the big screen in 2014 in Gyeongju, an introspective arthouse romance opposite Park Hae-il. This was followed by romantic comedy My Love, My Bride, in which she and Jo Jung-suk were cast as a newly married couple; it is a remake of the same-titled 1990 hit which starred Choi Jin-sil and Park Joong-hoon.
After her travels were documented on the cable channel O'live in 2008, Shin published a book titled Shin Min-a's French Diary in 2009.
She has also contributed her vocals to several singles and soundtracks.
Shin is one of the most in-demand and highest paid commercial endorsers in South Korea. Notable among her forays into branded entertainment is the 2008 multi-episode Summer Days opposite Hyun Bin and Ryoo Seung-bum for LG Xnote featuring music by You Hee-yeol, as well as Friends & Love, a movie-style extended advertisement for Giordano in 2011 costarring Jung Woo-sung and So Ji-sub.
In 2009, Shin went to Milan, Italy to shoot a photo spread for Elle Korea with Calvin Klein model Jamie Dornan. In 2011, she was chosen as the first Asian model for the DIY Project ad campaign of American clothing brand Rag & bone, then was subsequently featured in The New York Times's T Magazine.
Shin Min-a on February 18, 2009
Awards and nominations
- ^ Paquet, Darcy. "Volcano High". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- ^ "K-FILM PREVIEWS: 고고 70s (Go Go 70s)". Twitch Film. 1 October 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Shin, Hae-in (14 April 2009). "Stunning ending polarizes audiences in sisterhood movie". Yonhap. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Oh, Jean (9 August 2010). "Will two big stars create fireworks?". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- ^ Oh, Jean (12 August 2012). "Shin Min-a returns to supernatural in Tale of Arang". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (5 July 2012). "Shin Min Ah was Lazy and Conceited in her Early 20s". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Jung, Hyun-mok (13 June 2014). "Art-house debut for Shin". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- ^ Jin, Eun-soo (11 February 2014). "A new bride for classic tale". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- ^ "신민아, 파리지엔느 변신 14일간 프랑스 여행기 공개". Newsen (in Korean). 15 October 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ "프렌치 다이어리". Aladin (in Korean). Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- ^ Hong, Grace Danbi (22 August 2012). "Shin Min Ah Lends her Voice for Arang and the Magistrate OST". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Sunwoo, Carla (23 August 2012). "Shin Min-a to sing on drama OST". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ "현빈-신민아-류승범 XNOTE CF 새 모델". No Cut News (in Korean). 23 June 2008. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ "정우성-소지섭-신민아-타이거JK, 지오다노 모델 선정…'열풍 기대'". SSTV (in Korean). 31 January 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ "The Lover". Elle Korea (in Korean). 28 September 2009. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ http://diy.rag-bone.com/mina
- ^ "DIY Project: Mina Shin". Rag & bone. 1 November 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ "Style to a T: Mina Shin". T Magazine. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ Sunwoo, Carla (28 April 2012). "Shin Min-a featured in New York Times". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- ^ "Icon of Asian beauty". Korea JoongAng Daily. 12 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shin Mina.