The idea of establishing a private university to support private sector development in Thailand and the region was initiated in 1996 by Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra and his colleagues. This was followed by the design and development of an environmentally friendly campus by Dr. Soontorn Boonyatikarnin 1997. A year later, the innovative plans were presented to Her Royal Highness Princess Mahachakri Sirindhorn, and then to the Ministry of Universities which granted the license for operation towards the end of 1999.The first Shinawatra University Council Meeting was held on May 19, 2000, marking the initial milestone of the long road to becoming an accomplished private university. In September 2002, the first batch of students was admitted, and the venture of creating and nurturing a prospective university had begun.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Past and Present Presidents
- 2.1 ● 1999-2000 Prof. Dr. Purachai Piumsombun
- 2.2 ● 2000-2002 Dr. Sangsan Panich (Acting President)
- 2.3 ● 2002-2003 Dr. Wittaya Manawanicharoen (Acting President)
- 2.4 ● 2003-2004 Dr. Thanong Bidaya (Acting President)
- 2.5 ● 2004-2008 Prof. Dr. Prida Wibulswas
- 2.6 ● 2008-2009 Prof. Dr. Somchart Sophonronnarit
- 2.7 ● 2009-2011 Kittiratt Na-Ranong
- 2.8 ● 2011-2012 Asst. Prof. Dr. Prinya Tantaswadi (Acting President)
- 2.9 ● 2012-present Prof. Dr. Voradej Chandarasorn
- 3 University Council (UC)
- 4 School of Information Technology
- 5 School of Management
- 6 School of Management Technology
- 7 School of Liberal Arts
- 8 คณะรัฐประศาสนศาสตร (School of Public Administration)
- 9 คณะพยาบาลศาสตร์ (School of Nursing)
- 10 Main campus
- 11 Computer Facilities
- 12 Laboratories
- 13 Dormitories
- 14 Accident Insurance
- 15 Student Activities
- 16 Convenience Store
- 17 Cafeteria
- 18 Parking
- 19 Bangkok Center
- 20 Library
- 21 Key Performance Indicators
- 22 References
- 23 External links
Shinawatra University (SIU) is an international university in Thailand. It was established in response to the current needs of educating the young people to keep up with the global trends and the rapid changes in working culture, thinking and ways of doing things. To achieve the above objectives, the university has given importance to the selection of faculty, the creation of university buildings, dormitories, library, and communication networks so that study facilities, including the environment, can promote the learning atmosphere. Living comfort is emphasized to support learning and self-development. It is currently rated as number 11,976 among the world's universities.
Past and Present Presidents
● 1999-2000 Prof. Dr. Purachai Piumsombun
● 2000-2002 Dr. Sangsan Panich (Acting President)
● 2002-2003 Dr. Wittaya Manawanicharoen (Acting President)
● 2003-2004 Dr. Thanong Bidaya (Acting President)
● 2004-2008 Prof. Dr. Prida Wibulswas
● 2008-2009 Prof. Dr. Somchart Sophonronnarit
● 2009-2011 Kittiratt Na-Ranong
● 2011-2012 Asst. Prof. Dr. Prinya Tantaswadi (Acting President)
● 2012-present Prof. Dr. Voradej Chandarasorn 
University Council (UC)
1. Mr. Paron Israsena Na Ayudhaya, Chairman
2. M.D. Prommin Lertsuridej, Vice Chairman
3. Ms. Pensom Damapong, Member
4. Mr. Prasit Tansuwan, Member
5. Mrs. Doris Gold Wibunsin, Member
6. Professor Dr. Damrong Khummongkol, Member
7. Associate Professor Dr. Ake Chaisawadi, Member
8. Associate Professor Dr. Pira Chirasopone, Member
9. Dr. Pollasanha Positong, Member
10. Associate Professor Dr. Thanmanustanun Phaniphuk, Member
11. Associate Professor Dr. Sugree Charoensook, Member
12. Dr. Chantavit Sujatanond, Member
13. Professor Emeritus Dr. Sophon Roengsumran, Member
14. General Dr. Charupat Ruangsuwan, Member
15. Prof. Dr. Voradej Chandarasorn, Member
16. Mr. Chainum Pavavimol, Secretary
School of Information Technology
Bachelor of Science Program in Computer Science
● Web and Mobile Applications
● Software Engineering
● Network and Database Management
● Business Informatics
The undergraduate program is conducted at the Pathumthani Campus.
Master of Science Program in Information Technology
● Software Development
● System Architecture
● Computer Networking
● Data Management
Doctor of Philosophy Program in Information Technology
School of Management
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
● Hotel Management
● International Business
● Professional Finance
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Management
Doctor of Philosophy in Management Sciences (PhD Management Sciences)
School of Management Technology
Bachelor of Science in Management Technology (BSMT) Options:
● Architectural Technology Management
● Energy and Environment Management
● Building and Facility Management
Master of Science in Management Technology (MSMT)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Management Technology
School of Liberal Arts
Bachelor of Arts Program in Liberal Arts (BALA)
● สาขาการสื่อสารแบบหลอมรวม (Bachelor of Arts Program in Convergence Communication
Master of Education in Teaching English as International Language (MedTEIL)
คณะรัฐประศาสนศาสตร (School of Public Administration)
หลักสูตรปรัชญาดุษฎีบัณฑิต สาขาวิชารัฐประศาสนศาสตร (PhD Public Administration)
หลักสูตรรัฐประศาสนศาสตรมหาบัณฑิต (Master of Public Administration)
คณะพยาบาลศาสตร์ (School of Nursing)
Shinawatra University's main campus is located in Pathumthani Province, 50 kilometers from Bangkok. The campus's modern architecture has received both the Asia Energy Award and the Energy Efficient Building 2003 Award.
Information technology (IT) is indispensable for business, science and technology itself.Fast and reliable connections are essential for high-quality learning environments. Shinawatra University is equipped with state-of-the-art IT infrastructure.Classrooms contain desktop or laptop computers for teaching purposes and LCD visualizers connected to bright LCD projectors. The university is connected to the Internet through very fast leased-line optical fiber connections. Full Wi-Fi coverage is available in all academic buildings and dormitories. Students are provided with log in accounts and personal e-mail addresses which can be used to log on to the Internet, to communicate with professors, families,classmates and friends, or to build personal websites to be seen by the world.Students in science and technology will also benefit from the Microsoft Developer’s Network Academic Alliance program which allows them to be exposed to the latest software packages from Microsoft relevant to their fields of study.
Besides regular classrooms, plenty of laboratories are available to enhance students’ learning experiences:
● Apple Laboratory,featuring 21-inch and 27-inch iMacs, iPad2′s, iPod Touches and a touch screen LCD projector, located on the ground floor of the main academic building
● Architectural and Environmental Design Studio with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) software, located on the fifth floor of the main academic building
● Computer Networking, Operating System and Microprocessor Laboratory, located on the third floor of the main academic building
● Computer Programming Laboratory, located of the third floor of the main academic building
● Electronics and Circuits Laboratory, located on the second floor of the laboratory building
● General Computer Laboratory with high-speed laser printer and large-format color inkjet printer,located on the third floor of the main academic building
● Language Laboratories (Sound Labs), located on the third floor of the main academic building and on the ground floor of the dormitory
First-year students are required to stay in the dormitories.Air-conditioned dormitories are available on Pathumthani campus during the regular semesters and summer sessions. SIU provides separate facilities for men and women. Computer network connections, telephone lines, a refrigerator and hot/cold water system are available in each room. On each floor, students have access to a common room with TV. A kitchen and a laundry rooms are also available. Each resident will be given 3 keys; room, desk and wardrobe.The students will be provided with a smart card, which gives them access to the dormitory. All undergraduate students are encouraged to stay on campus at least for the first year. Dorms are secure and quiet, with ample space for recreation, relaxation and study.
Accident Insurance 
Accident insurance is provided for all full-time students upon enrollment. For further information, please contact the Office of Student Affairs. International students must have full health insurance coverage.
Student Activities 
Shinawatra University promotes and facilitates students' participation in a variety of activities, which help them in building better career opportunities.Activities are usually organized through the Student Clubs, where executives are elected by a majority of votes. The clubs organize and manage various student activities that focus on academic affairs, cultural promotion, social development and sports. The University partially subsidizes funds on student activities.
Convenience Store 
A convenience store on the 3rd floor of the main building is open every day from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. during weekdays and 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. during weekends.
The cafeteria is located next to the sky link. A variety of food is offered at reasonable prices. The cafeteria is open from 11:00 a.m. till 8:00 p.m. Thai food is available in the cafeteria, with options for takeaway meals and snacks from other outlets in the main building. Some students cook for themselves and friends in the main dorm kitchen, while another group makes fresh fruit drinks for sale from their kiosk in the cafeteria.
Parking is available at dormitories on the main campus. Driver licenses are required for students to bring their cars to the main campus.
● Apple Corner,featuring 21-inch iMacs, located on the ground floor in the library
● General Computer Laboratory, located on the second floor of the building
● Multi-purpose conference and meeting rooms, featuring touch screen LCD projectors
Shinawatra University Library provides information resources and services to support teaching, learning, research, and edutainment. It also keeps a chronicle of the development of Shinawatra University. The Shinawatra University Library uses the Library of Congress Classification System (L.C.) to organize the collection. An automated library search system to supports users through the Internet. This online service enables users to access many of the library’s resources. The Library was the first in Thailand to implement RFID (Radio Frequency Identification)technology, called LIS Intelligence, in December 2002 to automate the book-handling processes, including systems for self-circulation, detection and inventory management. The undergraduate library at the Pathumthani Campus, Shinawatra University, houses over 10,000 of the most current books and magazines from around the world. In addition to hard copies of the 24 top business,management and technology journals, including 11 computer science journals,each student has access to online databases covering current and back issues of over 1,500 journals. The on-site library is open 12 hours a day, 6 days a week.The online catalog and reference databases are accessible 24 hours a day over the Internet.More details and up-to-date information on all library services can be found on the Library's website at http://library.shinawatra.ac.th
Key Performance Indicators
- 100% graduate employment with very high average salaries.
- Top 10% of all higher education institutes accredited by The Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (Public Organization) ONESQA.
- Ranked 2nd by ONESQA among private higher education institutions in Thailand.
- Education Standards of SIU and all its schools in 2006 were unconditionally approved by ONESQA
- Faculty members with leading research performance as assessed by Thailand Research Fund (TRF).
- Over 70% of faculty members with doctoral degrees and 60% hold academic rank position.
- Prestigious TRF Royal Golden Jubilee PhD Scholarships awarded to 20% of faculty members.
- More than 30% of faculty members and 20% of students are International
- More than 50% are graduate students.
- NRCT research grants awarded to faculty members.
- Shinawatra University web site www.siu.ac.th
- Education andlanguage education in Thailand - Bangkok post http://www.bangkokpost.com/education/site2002/cvmy0702.htm
● Shinawatra University www.siu.ac.th
● Shinawatra University Library http://www.siu.ac.th/library/