|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Single by Barry Gibb|
|from the album Now Voyager|
|Format||7", 12", CD single|
|Genre||Soft rock, adult contemporary|
|Writer(s)||Barry Gibb, Maurice Gibb, George Bitzer|
|Producer(s)||Barry Gibb, Karl Richardson|
|Barry Gibb singles chronology|
"Shine, Shine" is a song released by Barry Gibb. It was the first single on his debut solo album Now Voyager. This proved to be another hit single for Gibb as he previously released the US Top 10 singles "Guilty" and "What Kind of Fool" (with Barbra Streisand).
It was written by Barry Gibb, Maurice Gibb and George Bitzer. The song has a fast percussion beat and a relatively straight melody line. Recorded in undocumented date in 1984 in Middle Ear Studios while the string arrangements of the song was added later in Ocean Way Studios, Los Angeles. Gibb also sings background and harmony vocals and played acoustic guitar on this track.
As the song's music video implies, the song is about a man about watching a woman you love, marry some other guy
Release and reception
"Shine, Shine" was chosen as the first single on Now Voyager with "She Says" as the B-side. The song was charted in North America, Canada, UK and on other European countries. The song was released on PolyGram Records in Portugal. MCA also put out a 12-inch single but with the same versions of two songs. The extended version of this single was released only in the UK. The horn section is featured in the instrumental break and on the coda of the song. The cover of the single was taken by Annie Leibovitz.
William Ruhlmann at Allmusic describes the song as "having an engaging chorus and Caribbean riff." Rolling Stone described "Shine, Shine" has a "new wave synth-pop bounce, a hopped-up reggae beat".
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||87|
|Belgium (Ultratop Flanders)||29|
|Canada Adult Contemporary Charts (RPM)||5|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||53|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||45|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||45|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||95|
|US Billboard Hot 100||37|
|US Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary||8|
|US Cash Box||39|
|US Radio & Records||38|
- Brennan, Joseph. "Gibb Songs: 1984". Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Barry Gibb, "Shine Shine"". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Discogs.com. "Barry Gibb - Now Voyager".
- Discogs.com. "Barry Gibb - Shine Shine".
- Ruhlmann, William. "Barry Gibb - Now Voyager". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 11 February 2013.
- "Songs written by the Gibb Family on the International Charts - page 4". brothersgibb.org. p. 4. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "ultratop.be - Barry Gibb - Shine Shine". Ultratop. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Barry Gibb - Shine, Shine". officialcharts.de. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Barry Gibb - Shine Shine". Dutch Charts. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Barry Gibb - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- "Cash Box Top 100 Singles". Cashbox. 6 October 1984. Retrieved 22 December 2014.