Shine (Take That song)
|Single by Take That|
|from the album Beautiful World|
|B-side||"Trouble With Me"
"We Love To Entertain You"
|Released||26 February 2007|
|Length||3:31 (Album Version)
3:29 (Radio Mix/Single Version)
|Writer(s)||Take That, Steve Robson|
|Take That singles chronology|
"Shine" was released on 26 February 2007 and features lead vocals by Mark Owen. A 'live' version was recorded at a session with BBC Radio 2, and appears on the CD singles of "I'd Wait for Life" and "Reach Out".
It became Take That's sixth consecutive number one single and their tenth number one overall, making them one of only seven acts in the history of the UK charts to have more than nine number one hits.
The live version of "Shine" performed during the band's Beautiful World Tour in 2007 featured an intro that was taken from the finale to the song "Mr. Blue Sky" by the British pop/rock group Electric Light Orchestra - this was also done on the group's subsequent The Circus Tour in 2009 and Progress Live Tour in 2011.
UK music licensing body PPL announced in December 2009 that this was the second most played and used song in the UK of the 2000s.
The song is written in the key signature of E flat major; however, on some live versions it is performed in D major.
Use by other artists
Use in media
The song was featured in several commercials for the Morrisons supermarkets in the UK, fronted by actress Denise van Outen, comedian Nick Hancock, television presenter Gabby Logan, gardener Diarmuid Gavin, singer Lulu, and television presenter Richard Hammond.
It was then brought back in an instrumental form in 2013 as part of the 'More of what Matters' campaign.
It is also used on the third series of The Kevin Bishop Show in the celebrity book club sketch.
The single entered the UK Singles Chart at #84, and made its official debut to the charts at #30 the following week, three weeks before its physical release. It reached number one on 4 March 2007, staying two weeks at the top. The single peaked at number two on the download chart. During its first week at the top of the UK Singles Chart, the single rose from #20 to #2 on the Irish Singles Chart.
- Album Version (3:31)
- Radio Mix (3:29)
- BBC Radio 2 'Live & Exclusive' (3:36)
- Live at Wembley (3:46)
- Abbey Road Version (3:42)
- Progress Live (5:43)
Charts and certifications
"Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs
|UK Singles Chart number-one single
4 March 2007 - 18 March 2007 (2 weeks)
"Walk This Way" by Sugababes vs. Girls Aloud
- Ascap entry for song ASCAP, accessed 22 October 2010
- "Entertainment | Take That scoop Brit Award double". BBC News. 2008-02-21. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "Take That - Shine Video and Lyrics". Musicloversgroup.com. 2007-05-21. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "News - Take That "Shine"". Golden Sq. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- [dead link]
- "Take That Shine UK CD single (CD5 / 5") (389879)". Eil.com. 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "Take That Shine Germany CD single (CD5 / 5") (396902)". Eil.com. 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "Images for Take That - Shine". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "Shine (2-Track): Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "Take That – Shine – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Take That – Shine" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Take That – Shine" (in French). Ultratip.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200718 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Take That – Shine". Tracklisten.
- "Hits of the World – Eurochart Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. 17 March 2007. p. 103. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Kereső - lista és dátum szerint - Archívum - MAHASZ - Magyar Hangfelvétel-kiadók Szövetsége". Mahasz.hu. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Take That – Shine". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Take That – Shine" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- Take That – Shine Retrieved on 2011-09-30.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200715 into search.
- "Take That – Shine – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Take That" UK Singles Chart.
- "Billboard - Google Books". Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- BPI Best Selling singles 2007
- "Il blog di Chartitalia: Chart Run/ The Flood - Take That". Chartitalia.blogspot.co.uk. 2004-02-26. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- "British single certifications – Take That – Shine". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Shine in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go