|Competitor for Japan|
|Silver||2000 Sydney||+100 kg|
|Silver||1997 Paris||+95 kg|
|Gold||1999 Birmingham||+100 kg|
|Bronze||2001 Munich||+100 kg|
|Gold||1998 Bangkok||+100 kg|
|Gold||1995 New Delhi||+100 kg|
|Gold||1995 New Delhi||Open|
|East Asian Games|
|Gold||1997 Busan||+95 kg|
Shinichi Shinohara (篠原 信一 Shinohara Shin'ichi?, born January 23, 1973 in Kobe, Japan) is a retired Japanese judoka and winner of the gold medal at the 1999 World Judo Championships in Birmingham. To Shinohara's disappointment, French champion David Douillet did not compete at Birmingham due to back injury; Shinohara was quoted as saying, "Even though I lifted the double crown at the worlds, it won't mean anything as long as people say it was won in Douillet's absence." Douillet had previously been declared victor at the 1997 championships in Paris after a French judge gave Shinohara a controversial penalty.
Three years after, Shinohara received the silver medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics when he was defeated by Douillet due to another disputed judgment about Uchi Mata Sukashi in the finals which was strongly protested by the Japanese participants. Douillet performed Uchi Mata but over-rotated and landed on his back; Shinohara fell to the mat as well. One judge had ruled for Shinohara, while the other two ruled for Douillet. Shinohara cried throughout the medal ceremony as a result of his loss, while head coach and 1984 Olympic champion Yasuhiro Yamashita harshly criticised the judges and apologized to Shinohara for his powerlessness after the ceremony. However, at a later press conference, Shinohara expressed that he was not dissatisfied with the judgment, stating, "I lost because I was weak. Douillet was strong."
- "篠原 信一". Japanese Olympic Committee. Retrieved 2007-10-28.
- "Japan's judo giant seeks revenge over French rival". CNN. 2000-08-25. Retrieved 2007-10-25.
- "Summer Olympics 2000: Douillet returns to retain Olympic crown". ESPN. 2000-09-22. Retrieved 2009-03-13.
- 「判定まさか」篠原無念 (in Japanese). Nihon Keizai Shimbun. 2000-09-22. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- Youtube Video (2000 Summer Olympics blue:Shinohara, white:Douillet)
- Judo results of Shinichi Shinohara (judoinside.com)
- Competition videos of Shinichi Shinohara (judovision.org)
|This Japanese biographical article related to martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|