Shinwari (Pashtun tribe)
 The Shinwari (Pashto: شينواري) are an ethnic Pashtun tribe of eastern Afghanistan, and Pakistan. Among the greatest poets of the Pashto language in the 20th century was the late Ameer Hamza Shinwari, also known as "Hamza Baba". Barakatullah Salim shinwari is the champion of the Quran reciters and wins World Cup since 1981. Finally the international jury decided to give him a special permit. He is no longer only the champion, now he became the "CHAMPION of CHAMPIONS" The Shinwari tribe is settled in the eastern valleys of Nangarhar province, in Dih Bala, Achin, Rodat, Bati Kot, Kot, Chaprahar, Shinwar, Dor Baba and Nazian districts. A major portion of the tribe is between Landi Kotal (Pakistan) and Jalalabad (Afghanistan), as well as in Parwan province of Afghanistan where they are concentrated in Shinwari, Ghorband, and Jabalussaraj districts. These Shinwaris are mostly traders and businessmen. There is also a significant minority of the tribe settled in Kohat (Jangal Khel), Pakistan, a settlement 60 km south of Peshawar. There are about 2000 to 3000 shinwaris settled in village Ali zai, 15 km away from kohat, Pakistan. These settled shinwaris belong to Fiqa Jaffaria in Islam. In Afghanistan, the Shinwari are also located in Kunar province. Reporting from 2010 states that there are around 400,000 Shinwari in Afghanistan.
The Shinwari tribe is settled in the eastern valleys of Nangarhar province, in Dih Bala, Achin, Rodat, Bati Kot, Kot, Chaprahar, Shinwar, Dor Baba and Nazian districts. A major portion of the tribe is between Landi Kotal (Pakistan) and Jalalabad (Afghanistan), as well as in Parwan province of Afghanistan where they are concentrated in Shinwari, Ghorband, and Jabalussaraj districts. These Shinwaris are mostly traders and businessmen. There is also a significant minority of the tribe settled in Kohat (Jangal Khel), Pakistan, a settlement 60 km south of Peshawar. There are about 2000 to 3000 shinwaris settled in village Ali zai, 15 km away from kohat, Pakistan. These settled shinwaris belong to Fiqa Jaffaria in Islam. In Afghanistan, the Shinwari are also located in Kunar province. Reporting from 2010 states that there are around 400,000 Shinwari in Afghanistan.
The elders of the Shinwari tribe in Nangarhar signed a pact, uniting against the Taliban. They promised that anyone supporting the Taliban, would be punished with fines and expulsion. This pact, which per The Times "appears to be the first" incident of an entire tribe declaring war on the Taliban, has invited comparison with the Sunni Awakening of 2006, which tipped the balance of power in Iraq against the Sunni insurgency. The pact also had economic implications that the United States offered over in development funding. Further, reports suggested the Shinwari were against Taliban interference with their traditional smuggling routes across the Pakistani border.
British assessment (1885) 
In 1885, a British author described the Shinwari ("Shanwari" in his text):
- The Shanwari inhabit a portion of the Khaibar mountains, some of the eastern valleys of the Safed Koh, and are also found on the borders of Bajawar. They have five sections - Abdul Rahim, Manduzai, Sangu, Sipai, and Ali Sher. They have been continuously predatory since the British approached their borders. They are the most industrious carriers between Peshawur and the other marts on the way to Kabul, using mules and camels for carriage. They are brave, hospitable, stalwart and hardworking. They are well-educated people
Role in 1929 Afghan Civil War 
The Shinwari tribe were the first to openly rebel against king Amanullah Khan's imposition of various new laws, including the requirement to wear European dress, the rule that required them to send a quota of their daughters to Kabul for education and the impositions of taxes (they had never previously paid tax). The Shinwaris attacked Jalalabad, cutting off its water supply and closing the Kabul - Peshawar road. Amanullah responded by using his fledgling Air Force, including Russian refugee pilots, to bomb the Shinwaris. The use of foreign "infidels" to subjugate Muslims roused other tribes to revolt and the country descended into what would become the 1929 Afghan Civil War.
|Tribe||Subtribes||Clans of Tribe||Subclans of Tribe||division of Tribe||Section of Subdivision||Minor Fractions||Other Fractions|
|Shinwari||Mandhizai/Manduzai||[Hamza khel] [Llias khel]
|[Ahmad khel] [Maghdud khel] [Daulat khel]
[kotwal] [kuki khel] [Musi khel] [Umar khel] [Da Oghaz khel]
|[Haska mena (Deh bala)]|
|Alisher khel||[Adal khel] [Ash khel]||[Khuga khel] [Mirdad khel] [Utar khel]
]Piro khel] [Piset khel] [Shekmal khel]
|Sangu khel||[Ghani khel]||[Haider khel] [kachkal khel] [Khani khel]
[Karmu khel] [Mirjan khel] [Mai khel] [Soulor ptar] [Mullagoris
|Sephai||[Rahimdad khel] [Haider khel]
[Suliman khel] [Babar khel] [Shabul khel]
|[Aka nmasi] [Ata nmasi] [Mama khel]
[Aka khel] [Fatima nmasi] [Nimidar khel] [Mamai khel] [Lala nmasi] [ya khel]
Notable Shinwaris 
Brgider Dr GhulamJan Jakar Shenwari, MD, Writer, Poem writer, short story writer, politation
- Ameer Hamza Shinwari, poet
- Basharmal Afghanworor, Born 1986, Masters degree in economic and international finance, politician and advocate for the rights of youth and civilization.
- Haji Purdil Khan Shinwari,Great politicain,he struggled against British Empire before Pakistan Independence and had a lot of time been jailed with Khan Abdull Gafar Khan .He belonged to JungleKhell KOHAT.
- Qari barakatullah saleem shinwari, popular Quran reciter.
- Haseebullah Shinwary, politician and advocate for the rights of youth and civilization.
- Khanbahadur Sadullah Khan Shinwari, Graduated from Law College Ali Garh University in 1920, was a session judge and elected councillar of Kohat for 15 years, lifelong contribution to law and development of Kohat City, Pakistan.
- Akbar khan shinwari, Leader of Afghan peace Movement. Dih bala, Nangarhar, Afghanistan
- Rafiq Shinwari, singer
- Ghalib Hassan, leader in the anti-Taliban resistance under Abdul Haq., appointed District Commander of Shinwar, Afghanistan by Hamid Karzai., held in extrajudicial detention in the United States' Guantanamo Bay detention camps, in Cuba.
- Malalai Shinwari, member of the national legislature and advocate for the rights of women
- Farmeenullah Shinwari,Graduated from University of Pune,India and Working with USAID as Finance officer.
- Faisal Ahmad Shinwari, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Afghanistan 2001-2006
- Samiullah Shinwari, Sportsman, member of the Afghanistan national cricket team.
- Azam Khan Shinwari, Pioneer Civil Engineer in Pakistan's early years; Chairman WAPDA East Pakistan, Chief Engineer Warsak Dam.
- Muhammad Zaman Khan Shinwari, pre-partition politician and member of legislative assembly from Kohat.
- Zakir Shinwari, wapda[clarification needed] Chief.
- Nazir Khan Shinwari, Ex-MPA, politician from Kohat.
- Brigadier (R) Qayyum Sher Shinwari, SJ Hero of 1965 Indo-Pakistan war; was given the title "Defender of Lahore" by President Ayub Khan of Pakistan for leading an infantry brigade in the heat of battle. He is from Kohat.
- Brigadier (R) Zafar Khan Shinwari, SJ Hero of 1965 Indo-Pakistan war; he saw action and demonstrated extraordinary valor at the battle of Chawinda. He was from Kohat.
- Shahbaz Gul Shinwari, politician and businessman from Kohat.
- Israr Khan Shinwari, Police Officer from Kohat; He served as Inspector General of Police of AJK, and held top positions in Anti-Narcotics Force and FIA. He was Commandant of the Frontier Constabularly when he died in 2005 during service.
Malik jungbahadur a leading member of "surkhposh" who fought against English rule in subcontinent. Mr imtiaz shinwari a prominent lawyer and polytical worker.
See also 
Niaz ali khan shinwari the lead actor of an Australian movie made in Pakistan about the Pushtun culture and has won awards! Amir Muhammad shinwri is graduated from Ningarhair university in 1390 and also work in Ainikass FM radio
Dr.Shafaq Shinwari President & Founder of (Hamza BaBa Educational and Cultural Society)
Haji Purdil Khan Shinwari, the great politicain before the Pakistan independence and struggled again British Empire with the great congress leader Mahatma Gandi ans also at that time he got good busniness in Kohat
- This article incorporates text from The cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia: commercial, industrial and scientific, products of the mineral, vegetable, and animal kingdoms, useful arts and manufactures, Volume 2, by Edward Balfour, a publication from 1885 now in the public domain in the United States.
- From British library, books, shinwari elders, told by Hamza baba beside from a great poet he was the brother of influential malik who wired Muhammad ali Jinah for his support.
- Afghan Shinwari elders vow to support Hamid Karzai in exchange for US cash. The Times (UK). January 29, 2010.
- Edward Balfour. The cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia: commercial, industrial and scientific, products of the mineral, vegetable, and animal kingdoms, useful arts and manufactures, Volume 2. Publisher B. Quaritch, 1885.
- Shinwari tribe, Center for Culture and Conflict Studies, US Naval Postgraduate School.
- OARDEC (date redacted). [[[:Template:DoDtainees ARB]] "Summarized Unsworn Detainee Statement"]. United States Department of Defense. pp. pages 1–10.
- OARDEC (1 October 2004). "Summary of Evidence for Combatant Status Review Tribunal -- Ghalib, Haji". United States Department of Defense. pp. page 8. Retrieved 2008-01-19.