Japanese cover of Mushrambo Complete DVD
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Tetsuo Imazawa|
|Original run||February 5, 2000 – September 23, 2000|
|Written by||Yoshihiro Iwamoto|
Shinzo, known as Mushrambo (マシュランボー Mashuranbō?) in Japan, is an anime produced by Grouper Productions and based on the Chinese legend Journey to the West. In the series, creatures known as Enterrans take over Earth and rename it in their own image: Enterra. Now three Enterrans have to protect the last human in order to restore the human race. The anime focuses primarily on the adventures they undergo while working to accomplish this task.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Characters
- 3 Episodes
- 4 Cast
- 5 Crew
- 6 Changes in the English Dub
- 7 Allusions
- 8 External links
In the distant past, the Guardian of the Milky Way galaxy named Lanancuras began to harbor a desire for more power. Because of his connection to the galaxy, he was able to absorb parts of planets and add them to his strength. As a result, he began invading the worlds he was assigned to protect. In the wake of his destruction, a following of creatures from across the galaxy pledged allegiance to Lanancuras and became known as the Kadrians. Taking notice of his ever growing power and followers, the other Celestial Guardians confronted him; however, he had become too powerful, and they were defeated. Unable to subdue Lanancuras, the Celestial Guardians each gave up a part of their power and combined it into a single new Guardian, Mushra. In a final desperate attempt, they used Mushra's core by transforming it into a powerful card with which to seal Lanancuras in a prison. The prison was created from the remains of planets that had suffered under Lanancuras' tyranny. Because planets are themselves large beings, their combined strength- along with the power of the card- was able to restrain him. Thus Lanancuras was successfully sealed in a large meteorite.
The meteorite was sent off into the galaxy to be sealed forever. Meanwhile, the way Lanancuras had increased his strength had consequences on the planets of the Milky Way. On Earth, it was in the shape of a virus that merged with human DNA and destroyed the humans that way. In order to eliminate the virus, scientists worked on combining human DNA with the DNA of animals and other creatures immune to the effects. They succeeded and created a sentient race known as Enterrans (a race of Engineered Earthlings) where the Enterrans are based on Humans, Insects, Reptiles, Birds, Sea Creatures, Wild Beasts, and Phantom Beasts. Eventually, a cure was found and the human race survived. This all took place around the 22nd century.
Meanwhile, the Kadrians had devised a plan to free their master: crashing the meteor into Earth would destroy the seal, thus allowing Lanancuras to escape. The Guardians eventually discovered this plan, but it was too late. With the meteorite already redirected and heading towards Earth, the Guardians held a vow that they would not directly intervene. They reasoned it was the duty of the planet and its inhabitants to defeat Lanancuras. In a stroke of luck, the Kadrians' plan was not a complete success. At impact, the seal holding Lanancuras merely ripped due to the impact; therefore, the Kadrian King was still trapped by the planetary pieces.
At impact, Lanancuras sent out three special gems that he had corrupted from the meteorite and placed them into the strongest Enterran he could find: Mushrambo. However, he also felt the Guardians influence and how they secured the energy they had given to Mushra, away from the meteorite. Lanancuras guessed that they would at some time grant this power to someone to counter him, and it could not be an Enterran since in a way, the Enterrans were a product of him becoming evil, and easily to be influenced because they were card-based creatures. It had to be a human. He chose six more generals to lead the Enterrans into a war against the humans, making them believe humans enslaved them. Besides Mushrambo, the other six Enterrans consisted of Daku the Insect King, Ryuma the Reptile Emperor, Rusephine the Bird Queen, Franken the Sea Queen, Diehanger the Wild Beast King, and Kymalis the Phantom Beast King.
Mushrambo led the war, and was like all the others completely oblivious to the reason he felt such a hatred. All they knew was that they wanted the humans destroyed and only Queen Rusephine of the Bird Enterrans and Mushrambo knew that the meteorite had something to do with the whole thing.
At one point, the Guardians elected a keeper of their power. The baby girl Yakumo Tatsuro was chosen where her father Dr. Daigo Tatsuro helped develop the Enterrans and the cure. Daigo knew they were losing the war, and under the inspiration of the Celestial Guardians he built a place where he could make Yakumo survive, knowing she was special. The Guardians sent Hakuba, a Celestial Equine who would transform into the Reversian Blade upon death. The most powerful weapon in the universe was shaped like a robot to transport Yakumo and was always aware of his task.
By the time Yakumo was at the age of 4, Daigo had finished building an underground for Yakumo to survive in, which would allow her to live for 30 years and only grow a single year in physical shape (50 in the dubbed version). Just at the moment this happened, Mushrambo destroyed the last sanctuary of the humans, the place called Shinzo. Then he went after Yakumo and killed Daigo in the process. However, the machines keeping Yakumo alive activated and awoke her powers. Yakumo froze the energy of Mushrambo and ripped him apart with her own aura. Mushrambo died, and his EnCard was divided into three gems. The Guardians guided these gems away for a later purpose (Mushra, Saago and Kutal were later sent to the past, but unable to make a difference).
The machine malfunctioned, though this was in fact the Guardians doing. Yakumo slept for 300 years (500 in the dubbed version) and woke up at the age of 17 close to the time Lanancuras would break out. She was told to search for Shinzo, the last sanctuary of the human race and bring peace to the Enterrans. In fact, this journey was to help her become aware of her powers.
A while before that, the three gems had been given to three Enterrans. One of them was Mushra, who had been given a new body on Enterra by the Guardians, since they were both card based beings. Mushra received the Crown of Koira, a powerful artifact that had been given to him before to seal Lanancuras, but that was then used by Lanancuras to control Mushrambo.
Mushra met Yakumo after being hung above a waterfall as punishment for a crime. She freed him (which took her days to break one of the chains with a large rock) and he somehow felt compelled to go with her (the gem at work). Later they met Sago, who held the blue gem, and the cat Enterran Kutal, who held the green gem. While on their quest to find Shinzo, Yakumo, Mushra, Sago, and Kutal are often attacked by Enterrans who seek to claim the bounty for Yakumo's capture.
Yakumo's powers took long to develop, as she was a peaceful person and willing to forgive. She often had a conflict with Mushra and his violent nature.
The story tells about the group traveling and the enemies they meet, and bit by bit parts of the past are revealed. At the end of the first season, the timeline was altered by the destruction of the Evil Mushrambo, leaving only Yakumo and the three gems. The battle resulted in the timeline being altered. As a result, the human race didn't die out and the war between humans and Enterrans never happened.
This also meant that in the second timeline Lanancuras never used up a lot of energy to control the war, and while he was completely dormant in the first timeline, he was about to break free in the second.
- Yakumo Tatsuro (ヤクモ Yakumo?)
- Voiced by: Yūko Minaguchi (Japanese), Peggy O'Neal (English)
- The last surviving human and the female protagonist of the series. She has celestial powers as a result of absorbing one of the four gems from the meteor that held Lanancuras (Chi elemental). She hates violence and follows the path of peace, until she eventually learns violence is required to achieve that peace. Represents the K'i-Lin and the Core. She's in love with Mushrambo but Mushra attempts to show his love several times for her and she responds kindly in turn but it is unconfirmed as to whether she loves him as well. Yakumo is extremely powerful, able to match any of Lanancuras' minions. She is also considered to be the biggest threat to Lanancuras. Yakumo is exceedingly stubborn and even after Mushra, Kutal, and Sago discover their origins as the evil Mushrambo, she doesn't give up faith in them. Yakumo's gentle nature and kind heart have the ability to change those that are around her long enough for the better and she's always trying to protect those she loves. Yakumo seems to be at least semi-capable with a sword, able to dual with Black Mushrambo and even outmatch him momentarily. In one episode, it is shown that Yakumo can play the piano when it came to finding out King Nipper's connections with her father. Her powers activate during their encounter with Rusephine, and she very rapidly gains mastery over them. Immediately after she discovers them, Rusephine fires several energy bolts at her which she blocks, though her shields rapidly drain her strength. Her powers also appear in the first timeline to be more telekinetic as she uses them to hurl a massive rock at Satan Mushrambo. In spite of her kind nature and after believing her three friends in the form of Mushrambo to be dead, she informs Satan Mushrambo "All my life, I have tried not to be a vengeful person. But that is over! I cannot forgive you!" As the series progresses she becomes more and more powerful to the point where she can easily eliminate many enemies which Sago, Mushra, and Kutal struggle with even in their hyper-forms. In the second timeline, as they near the meteor where Lanancuris is imprisoned, her powers begin to dwindle due to her constant use, since she uses them to maintain the seal even while asleep. In spite of every one else telling her to stop and to rest, she insists on using her power to weaken Lanancuras as much as she possibly can, and even though they try to distance her from the fight she continues to send her power. After a tear-filled conversation with Binka, she dies at sunset which all of the characters immediately sense. Yakumo's power is so great that even after her death, she uses her power to revive Mushrambo's EnCard so that he can fight against Lanancuras, in spite of it being burned and scattered. Her spirit joins Mushra as he carries Lanancuras into the flare from the sun, presumably to comfort him in his final moments (though he's shown later alive). Her spirit informs Mushra that she has finally reached Shinzo. Yakumo deeply impacts the lives of Mushra, Saago, Kutal, and Binka, and they are nearly overwhelmed by her death. However, she also gives them the hope to continue on and live for the future.
- Mushra (マシュラ Mashura?)
- Voiced by: Minami Takayama (Japanese), Tom Gibis (English)
- An Ex-Celestial Guardian and the male protagonist of the series. He is a Human-type Enterran with fire-based powers. Mushra is a stubborn and at times naive; unlike Yakumo he believes that violence is necessary. He can transform into Hyper Mushra (フェニックスマシュラ Fenikkusu Mashura?, Phoenix Mushra) (by the command "Hyper Flame!"), a phoenix-knight warrior, he eventually received a boost by King Nipper, giving him wings. Originally a Celestial Guardian, he became an Enterran so he can try to stop Lanancuras, without memory of his previous life. He eventually resumed original form at the end of the series into Celestial Mushra (ゴッドマシュラ?, God Mushra) (by the command "Astro Power!"). It seems that when he transforms he is more mature and stronger than his other form. He is also in love with Yakumo ever since she freed him from being hanged over the waterfall. Among his attacks are Hyper Burn, Inferno Blast, Flame Vortex, Heat Blast, Ultra Hyper Flame, Ultra Hyper Vortex Storm, Hyper Vortex of Fire, Hyper Fire Storm, Solar Blast, Fire of the Phoenix, Solar Missiles of Flames, Hyper Flame of Enterra, Fire Nova, Flaming Cross of the Phoenix, and Flames of the Phoenix.
- Sago (サーゴ Sāgo?)
- Voiced by: Yasuhiko Kawazu (Japanese), Steven Blum (English)
- A water-elemental Human Enterran. Represents the Dragon and the East. Hyper Sago (transforms by the command "Hydro Power!") is something described as a Water Devil, he gained bat-like wings from the boost he received from King Nipper. He can create Aqua Dragons out of water as one of this attacks. Also is the only one who can use his element outside of his Hyper Form. Among his attacks are Tidal Wave, Hydro Blast, Aqua Dragon, Hydro Tornado, Hydro Twister, Aqua Vortex, Mist Grenade, and Aqua Tornado.
- Kutal (クータル Kūtaru?)
- Voiced by: Naoki Tatsuta (Japanese), Bob Papenbrook (English)
- An Earth-elemental humanoid cat Enterran of the Wild Beast Enterrans. Represents the Tiger and the West. Hyper Kutal (transforms by the command "Eye of the Lion!") is a liger with seismic-themed attacks. Kutal is a cook and a traveler, even though he usually sends the group in the wrong direction to Shinzo. He is also a heavy eater. He later received a power boost from King Nipper, giving him fairy-like wings. Among his attacks are Enterra Quake, Earth Crusher, Enterra Shockwave, Seismic Strike, and Enterra Crusher, however all of them seem to be the same attack making a giant rift in the ground with energy tearing through it. His attacks have the least variation of all three of the main characters.Yakumo
- Mushrambo (破壊神マシュランボー Hakushin Mashrambo?, Destroyer Musharambo):
- Voiced by: Minami Takayama (Japanese), Dan Lorge (English) (normal form), Steven Blum (Gold)
- By absorbing Hyper Sago and Hyper Kutal's EnCards, Hyper Musha becomes the reborn Ultimate Warrior of Enterra (in his deput episode, the command for the transformation was "Hyper Flame Mushrambo!"). Ryuma tried to control Mushrambo with the Black Card, becoming Black Mushrambo (漆黒の破壊神ブラックマシュランボー?), only to be killed by the corrupted warrior who, as it turned out, Ryuma was not able to control. When Yakumo attempted to save him, she was told by Ryuma's minion who made the card that she would have to use Ryuma's sword to cut the card out of Mushrambo. When Black Mushrambo attempts to kill her, Yakumo uses her love and pure heart to purify him and destroys the black card. This may have been the first time she used her power, but it is debatable whether it was her celestial power or her gentle nature that saved him. Mushrambo later becomes Gold Mushrambo (黄金の守護神ゴールドマシュランボー Ongon Shugojin Gorudo Mashrambo?, Golden Guard Gold Mushrambo) during his final battle with Dark King Mushrambo. This power-boost was revoked by the Reversian Blade during the battle with Lanancuras. He has a Rhombic Aura that can protect him from most attacks, and one of his attacks, which he refers to as a "Lavender Ball" can neutralize the central nervous system of any weaker opponent.
- Hakuba (ハクバー Hakubā?)
- Voiced by: Tsutomu Kashiwakura (Japanese), Tom Fahn (English)
- A Celestial Equine that came to Earth like Mushra has. Taking on a robotic-form, Hakuba served to protect Yakumo and serve as her mode of transportation. Represents the Turtle and the North. Hakuba is a loyal and gentle guardian for Yakumo and helps her adapt to her greatly changed world. During the battle with Lanancuras, he absorbed the EnCards of the six Enterran generals and reassumed his true form, the Reversian Blade. The Reversian Blade later broke during battle when Lancuras' power was increased after absorbing Yakumo's lifeless body.
- Rei, Sen, Este (レイ, セン, サンジュ Rei, Sen, Sanju?)
- Rei Voiced by: Fushigi Yamada (Japanese), Dorothy Elias-Fahn (English)
- Sen Voiced by: Chie Sawaguchi (Japanese), Brianne Siddall (English)
- Este Voiced by: Ai Maeda (Japanese), Sandy Fox (English)
- Kutal's nephews and niece. Out of all three of the kittens, Este is the most out spoken. Rei and Sen are often difficult to distinguish from each other.
- Binka (ビンカ Binka?)
- Voiced by: Aya Hisakawa (Japanese), Philece Sampler (English)
- A young girl introduced in the second timeline, sent out by Yakumo (who helped her after her parents were killed) to find the chosen ones. She is armed with a bazooka and several other weapons. Personality-wise she is the opposite of Yakumo where Binka is spunky, tomboyish, and short-tempered unlike the demure and gentle Yakumo, whom she loves like a mother nevertheless. Finding Mushra and the others, she keeps them on track on their journey though she is constantly bemused by their lack of resolve. She rides in a turtle-like robot which seems to have a mind of its own, but it is unknown whether the turtle is human-made or something akin to Hakuba. Binka has no powers of her own yet still fights with all her might. She and Hakuba are the only ones with Yakumo when she dies and she seems to be the most deeply affected. In spite of her bravery, Binka can be very insecure and has terrible nightmares on a regular basis. She remains loyal to Yakumo no matter what and often takes it upon herself to take care of Yakumo as she starts to lose strength.
- Dr. Daigo Tatsuro
- Voiced by: Stephen Apostolina
- A scientist who was the father of Yakumo. Daigo had helped to develop the cure for the DNA Virus and helped to create the Enterrans. During the war against the Enterrans, Daigo knew they were losing the war against the Enterrans. Under the inspiration of the Celestial Guardians he built a place where he could make Yakumo survive, knowing she was special. By the time Yakumo was at the age of 4, Daigo had finished building an underground for Yakumo to survive in, which would allow her to live for 30 years and only grow a single year in physical shape (50 in the dubbed version). Just at the moment this happened, Mushrambo destroyed the last sanctuary of the humans (the place called Shinzo). Then Mushrambo went after Yakumo and killed Daigo in the process.
- King Nipper (15-18)
- Voiced by: Derek Stephen Prince
- Nipper is a robot who was once Dr. Tatsuro's robotic partner, he became the ruler of Mechano City. However, he reluctantly became a whipping boy for Rusephine's soldiers, making him hated by his people. But by the time Yakumo arrived, Nipper revealed his true nature and sacrificed himself to give time for Yakumo's three bodyguards to undergo the power boost he planned for them. Dies after telling the heroes about the Seven Enterran Generals.
- Voiced by: Brad MacDonald
- Bolt is a robot who is the leader of a Robotic Rebellion against King Nipper until learning the truth about him.
- Voiced by: Wendee Lee
- A female robot friend of Bolt's in the Rebellion.
- Chip: A fat robot who is a friend of Bolt's in the Rebellion.
- Toggle: A skinny robot who is another friend of Bolt's in the Rebellion.
- Daigo (16-18): Daigo was a giant warrior robot named after Yakumo's father Dr. Daigo Tatsuro. Originally Daigo seems to lack any sentience, being only controlled by the rider but after Yakumo's tears hit its controls, it develops a personality of its own and fights without her control. He was destroyed by Caris while Mushra, Sago, and Kutal were being recharged.
- Celestial Guardians
- Celestial Guardian #1 Voiced by: Paul St. Peter
- Celestial Guardian #2 Voiced by: Bob Papenbrook
- Celestial Guardian #3 Voiced by: Jamieson Price
- The Celestial Guardians are beings that are responsible for creating Mushra and sealing Lanancuras into a meteor.
- Lanacuras (暗黒王ラナンキュラス?, 25-32)
- Voiced by: Takeshi Aono (Japanese), Tom Wyner (English)
- The main antagonist of the series who surfaced in the 2nd timeline, though he was an influence in the first. An Ex-Celestial Guardian, he became a god of sorts to the Kadrians as they intended to revive him. Attacks included: Fusion Ball, Celestial Powers of Darkness and Globe of Destruction. He was finally defeated for good when Mushra resumed his Celestial form.
Seven Enterran Generals
The seven most powerful Enterrans who led the Enterrans to destroy the human race. Yakumo and company only encountered the first four in the first timeline. In the second timeline, the EnCards of the six other generals remained in Hakuba and enable him to use their power to transform.
- The Original Mushrambo
- Voiced by: Minami Takayama (Japanese), Dan Lorge (English)
- The original Mushrambo was an Enterran with celestial powers, a result of absorbing three of the four gems from the meteor that held Lanacuras. He fell under influence of Lanancuras' evil and led the Eterran Generals in wiping out the humans. Eventually killed by Yakumo's aura, his three gems scattered and entered the three Enterrans that would be able to combine into the current Mushrambo. He was later brought to the present by Rusephine to help her fight the Golden Mushrambo. However, Mushrambo kills her and absorbed the powers of the other Generals to assume a dark angel form, commonly known as Dark King Mushrambo (悪魔王サタンマシュランボー Akumaō Satan Mashuranbō?, Devil King Satan Mushrambo), who attacked with an "Energy Ray" and "Blue Flames of Torture". Satan Mushrambo also uses Rusephine's power to fight Golden Mushrambo, easily defeating his counterpart with time manipulation. After a lengthy and horrific battle, the Dark King was finally killed by Hyper Mushra, Sago and Kutal. But as Mushrambo was summoned prior to the Enterrans' war with humans, it caused the timeline to change.
- Voiced by: Kenji Utsumi (Japanese), Paul St. Peter (English)
- Voiced by: Mami Koyama
- Emperor of the Reptile Enterrans and one of a few Enterrans who look like humans (albeit with inhumanly green eyes and an impossibly large mouth). When he assumes Hyper Form (by the command "Hyper Serpent Warrior!"), he has a near-reptile appearance and his rapier morphs into a two-edged sword. Devised a cunning scheme to bring the warrior Mushrambo to his bidding by forcing Mushra, Kutal, and Sago to become Mushrambo and use a mind controlling Black Card which one of his minions crafted to do so. Ryuma lured the three into a battle with his subordinate Grandora, succeeding in taking control of Mushrambo. He then kidnaps Yakumo, deciding to marry her to prove his superiority. He has been shown to conjure snakes out of thin air and convert them into something as seen when he turns a bunch of them into a wedding dress for Yakumo. However, it causes Black Mushrambo to turn on Ryuma upon crashing his wedding. Ryuma then absorbs Grandora's EnCard to become (by the command "Grand Ryuma Arise!") Grand Ryuma, a giant dragonoid with a broadsword. In this state, he attempted to freeze Black Mushrambo in liquid poison, yet was killed when Mushrambo released a dark energy burst as the two locked swords. Even though Ryuma shows a narcissistic, sadistic, and psychopathic personality, he does show concern for Ungra when she is mortally injured defending him. Though Ryuma dies, his rapier remained as Yakumo uses it to remove the Black Card from Mushrambo.
- Voiced by: Keiko Han (Japanese), Melodee Spevack (English) (18), Wendee Lee (19-20)
- Queen of the Bird Enterrans with power over time and space. Her lair is in the middle of the ocean on where Egypt used to be. She is able to assume her Harpy-like hyper form at the command "Hyper Talons!". Attacking Mechano City in retaliation for the death of her warrior Caris, Rusephine uses her powers to teleport Mushra, Kutal, and Sago back in time. Then, after her servants bring her the cards of Franken, Diehanger, and Kimylas, Rusephine goes after Yakumo to obtain the cards of Daku and Ryuma as well to increase her own power. Absorbing the other general cards, Rusephine assumes General Monster (ゼネラルモンスター Zeneraru Monstā?) form with her waist and below transformed into a massive mix of all the other generals. When Golden Mushrambo challenges her, Rusephine uses her power to summon the original Mushrambo to present, only to be killed and absorbed by him.
- Sea King Franken (海洋王クラーケン Kuraken?, Sea Queen Kraken)
- King of the Sea Enterrans. Died prior to the series, presumably killed by Rusephine. Originally a female when looking closer at the card but dubbed as King. Her Japanese name is modeled after Kraken.
- Beast King Diehanger (猛獣王ダイハンガー?)
- King of the Wild Beast Enterrans. He resembled a smilodon with long yellow hair. Died prior to the series, presumably killed by Rusephine.
- Phantom King Kimylas (幻獣王キマイラス?)
- King of the Phantom Beast Enterrans. Died prior to the series, presumably killed by Rusephine. His name and form are modeled after a Chimera.
Minor Evil Enterrans
Here is a list of bad guys that worked for three of the Six Enterran Generals:
- Katris (1-2)
- Voiced by: Steve Kramer
- A Bounty Hunter and Mantis-type Insect Enterran. He was the one that captured Mushra and Yakumo and had them hanging from the remains of the Statue of Liberty. When Mushra assumed his Hyper-Enterran form, Katris absorbed two insect cards to assume his Hyper-Enterran form. Upon catching up to Yakumo, Katris absorbed Queen Bee-ing's card. Carded by Hyper Mushra.
- Queen Bee-Ing (2)
- Voiced by: Kazuko Sugiyama (Japanese), Mari Devon (English)
- Queen of the Honey Bee-Ings and Hunting Bee-Ings. She believed that by consuming Yakumo she would obtain her beauty. Transformed by the command "Hyper Bee-Stinger!". Carded by Hyper Mushra, later absorbed by Katris.
- Big Blue and his older brother (3)
- Big Blue and his unnamed older brother are two Spider-type Enterrans. Attacked with "Web of Destruction". After capturing Yakumo (who was ill at the time), their threat of dropping her into the Web of Destruction enraged Sago and Kutal and led to them Hyper-Forming into their Hyper-Enterran Forms as Big Blue and his older brother assumed their Hyper-Enterran forms. Even though they were defeated, Big Blue was carded by his older brother who assumed a stronger form and ended up netting Yakumo. Carded by Hyper Mushra who slashed their cards.
- Tombo (4)
- A Centipede-type Insect Enterran. His attacks included Light of Illusion and Light of Blindness. Transformed by the command "Hyper Mode Elumination!". Carded by Hyper Mushra.
- Caterpillar Soldiers (5-6)
- Voiced by: Bill Capeze
- Servants of King Daku that rode giant caterpillars. Shown in the flashback of the wars with the humans brutally slaughtering a fleeing crowd of people.
- Katai (5-6)
- Voiced by: Dan Lorge
- A shapeshifting Insect Hyper-Enterran and servant of King Daku. He posed as a human named Kiri to lure Yakumo into Daku's castle, saying it was Shinzo. As Kiri he used his sway over Yakumo to help force away Saago, Kutal, and Mushra so as to lure her in by herself. Carded by Daku who used his powers for invisibility.
- Doctor Parasite (6)
- Voiced by: Derek Stephen Prince
- An Insect Enterran scientist and servant of Daku who specializes in brainwashing. He uses maggot type things to crawl into Mushra and Co.'s brains to devour them and make them mindless slaves. His plan backfires and he's left covered by his own maggots. His current fate is unknown.
- Crocodile Enterran Leader (7)
- Voiced by: Beau Billingslea
- An unnamed crocodile-type Reptile Enterran who alongside other Crocodile Enterrans ambushed Mushra and Yakumo by the river. After the other crocodile's were defeated, the Crocodile Leader hyper-formed and fought Mushra. Carded by Hyper Mushra.
- Waru (7-8)
- Voiced by: Lex Lang
- The King of the Lizard Enterrans and servant of Gyasa who plotted to destroy Mushra. He is able to turn his right hand into a sword, move through solid wall and shot metal darts from his mouth. He could also attack with a "Tongue Whip". He first ran into a chameleon-type Enterran who he caught plotting to attack. After the lead Crocodile Enterran was carded, Waru plotted to kill Mushra. While at an abandoned school, Waru assisted Gyasa into capturing Yakumo as Waru fought Mushra. Killed by Gyasa after Hyper Mushra broke his hand/sword with Gyasa saying "Without your blade, you're nothing."
- Gyasa (8-11)
- Voiced by: Ryūsei Nakao (Japanese), Derek Stephen Prince (English)
- The King of the Snake Enterrans. A Gorgon-like Reptile Enterran who can turn anyone to stone with the venom of his snake-like blonde dreadlocks and even undo the petrifying process. Whenever he survives a near-death experience in battle, Gyasa sheds his skin to increase his power. His attacks include Gyasa Blade, Venom Blast, and Thunder Venom. He becomes the demon-like Hyper Gyasa after summoning and absorbing numerous snake EnCards (captions said rattlesnakes, mambas, copperheads, cobras and pit vipers). His attacks as Hyper Gyasa included Hyper Viper Power, Spinning Snake Disc, Reptillian Water Blast, Hyper Venom, Hyper Gand Knife, Viper Cannon, Python Power Beam and Serpent Mind Control. He accompanied Waru in a plot to capture Yakumo which he did while Waru fought Mushra. After Waru's blade was broken by Mushra, Gyasa killed Waru and turned Yakumo to stone before engaging Mushra, Sago, and Kutal. Though he managed to card Sago and Kutal, this only lead to the first formation of Mushrambo and Gyasa meets his end at Mushrambo's hands. It is implied that Gyasa has a limited number of skins to shed, as he opts to Hyper-Form and fight instead of letting himself become damaged again and growing stronger. In Hyper-Form, he's able to absorb the damage from an enemy's attacks and deflect it back at them. However Mushrambo targets his weak point, which is on his head.
- Huntari (12)
- Voiced by: David Lodge
- Ungra (13-14)
- Voiced by: Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
- A Reptile Enterran alchemist and servant of Ryuma. She created the Black Card that was used on Mushrambo, and was against the idea of Ryuma marrying Yakumo. She was the one to release Grandora from where he was kept in stone. She dies trying to defend her master from a falling portion of the castle ceiling when Black Mushrambo attacks. Before she dies, she informs Yakumo that the only way to save Mushrambo from the Black Card is for Yakumo to take Ryuma's sword and cut it out of him. Even though she was very supportive of Ryuma's plan, when she realises she has created what she and Ryuma were trying to prevent: the release of the "dark spirit"(Dark Mushrambo), she shows regret for doing so ("What have I done?") and apologises to Yakumo ("Forgive me!'), telling her how to stop the corrupted warrior before dying.
- Grandora (13-14)
- A Three-Headed Dragon controlled by Ryuma. Grandora heads uses a different form of attacking with ice: one of Grandora's heads roar is like a blizzard, another of his heads shoots ice in different shapes (like cubes for example), and the his last head shoots an ice beam. In Ryuma's great plan to gain control of Mushrambo, Grandora was summoned to attack the city where Mushra, Sago, Kutal, and Yakumo were holding residence. After a large scale attack on the city, the three heroes became Mushrambo whereas Ryuma used his Black Card to bring his plan to fruition despite Yakumo trying to prevent Ryuma into doing so. When Black Mushrambo attacked the ice palace where Ryuma and Yakumo's wedding was taking place, Grandora made a short-lived attempt to guard his master. Grandora was overpowered by the Black Mushrambo, and the beast was absorbed by Ryuma to become Grand Ryuma.
- Lord Caris (15-18)
- Voiced by: Junko Shimakata (Japanese), Tom Wyner (English)
- A powerful Tengu-like Bird Enterran that works for Rusephine. He and the bird Enterrans have been making King Nipper and his soldiers hunt for Yakumo while dealing with Bolt's resistance group. His attacks as Hyper Caris included Feather Blade, Hyper Claw, and Hyper Thorn. He absorbed an Egg EnCard that mutated him into the deformed Ultra Hyper Caris (whose attacks included Ultra Hyper Claw and Ultra Hyper Thorn). One of the attacks upon Ultra Hyper Caris ended up regressing him back to Hyper Caris. He was carded by Hyper Mushra in his own newly gained "Ultra Hyper Form".
- Gabriel (19-20)
- An Angel-like Bird Enterran servant of Rusephine. He presents her the EnCards of Franken, Diehanger and Kimylas (other Enterran generals). His fate is unknown after his mistress was carded and the timeline altered.
An alien race whose homeworld was crashed through by the Meteor that Lanancuras was entombed in, trapping their lifeforce within it. Kadrians are different from Enterrans in different ways: they were not made by humans, they come from another world, and they are shapeshifters. Their purpose is to revive Lanancuras from his tomb and prevent the revival of Mushrambo. When a Kadrian is carded, their card is shown to have an octagon-like shape.
- Eilis (アイリス Eirisu?, 22-25)
- Voiced by: Hisao Egawa (Japanese), Steven Blum (English)
- The prideful and sadistic commander of the Kadrian army, his body is made of quicksilver metal that allows him to alter his form. Eilis is also capable of covering large areas in quicksilver and altering any area of it as he desired. He is even seen altering an entire waterfall and lake. He created a Metalasaur (a metal dinosaur) during the fight with him. Could attack with a powerful "Solar Inferno". Eilis very nearly killed Mushra during their initial encounter, and chased the main characters until he was able to corner them. He easily carded Sago and Kutal, and impaled Hyper Mushra with his own spear. However, while taunting the injured Mushra and threatening to kill Binka, he gave Hyper Mushra the will and reason to transform and become Mushrambo for the first time in the second timeline. In spite of his incredible power he was easily killed by Mushrambo, who mocked him before finishing him off.
- Lunaria (ルナリア?, 22-26)
- Voiced by: Mami Kingetsu
- Lunaria is the Second-in-command of the Kadrians. Her servants were myth-based. She creates "Hyper-Forming" seals to give her monsters an advantage over normal Enterrans, which can even prevent the formation of Mushrambo. She is capable of creating dimension-altering "mazes" to trap the main characters. She also manages to trap them in an area the size of a card on the outside, but building-sized on the inside. One of her monsters very nearly killed the main characters but Yakumo suddenly appeared, taking her by surprise, and she was killed by Yakumo's aura. Lunaria was far more cunning and intelligent than her commander and recognized Mushrambo and Yakumo to be viable threats to their plans. She came very close to killing Yakumo with an energy attack that targeted her directly in the ruins of Shinzo where she was using her power to boost the seal on Lanancuras. In spite of her destruction at Yakumo's hands, she was very possibly the reason why Lanancuris was eventually able to escape, since her attack and her forcing Yakumo to a large quantity of power in a very brief period of time to save the others drastically weakened Yakumo and most likely helped lead to her death.
- Garizani (22)
- Voiced by: Lex Lang
- Shiro & Kuro (23)
- Voiced by: Steve Kramer and Lex Lang
- Furball-Like Kadrian brothers that serve Lunaria. They tried to get on Binka's good side while attempting to take the two remaining crystals. But after a while, the two revealed their true forms: A black bear with a yellow mask (Kuro) and a white bear with a purple mask (Shiro). They can combine to form a non-menacing panda with a bamboo stick as a weapon (by the command "Kadrian Bear!") and turn into a Red Panda-like super-predator (by the command "Hyper Kadrian Predator!"). Carded by Hyper Mushra, Hyper Sago, and Hyper Kutal. The duo's names were puns on White (Shiro) & Black (Kuro).
- Pixie Kadrian (26)
- Voiced by: Mari Devon
- Servant of Lunaria that can use wind-based attacks, such as Tornado Blast and Whirlwind Attack. She trapped anyone in Lunaria's maze. Carded by Mushra.
- Troll Kadrian (26)
- A servant of Lunaria that posed as Yakumo until his cover was blown. He could sprout as many arms as he wants. He almost succeeded in killing the heroes when Yakumo's aura killed him along with Lunaria.
- Kadrian Foot Soldiers
- The foot soldiers of the Kadrians that work for Lanancuras and Lunaria.
- Granite Warriors
- The Kadrians' rock soldiers created by Lanancuras.
- Darba (12)
- Voiced by: Michael Sorich
- Bonga (15)
- Voiced by: Bob Papenbrook
- A Water Buffalo-type Wild Beast Enterran. Encountered on the plane to Mechano City. Competed in King Nipper's tournament only for his prize to resort in him being carded by Caris.
- Awakening (轟爆戦士いきなり怒変身?, The Explosive Roaring Soldier's Sudden Raging Transformation) - 27th century. A human child awakens, with the mission to find the other humans, and bring peace between them and the mutant Enterrans ruling earth now. Yakumo and Mushra meet for the first time.
- Bee-ware of the Hunters (100億力だ!!スッゲェぞ怒鉄拳!!?) - Yakumo and her new friends land in a nest of Enterran bees.
- Web of Evil (怒倒!!極悪クモ兄弟・金と銀?, Raging Falling!! The Atrocious spider siblings: Gold and Silver) - A bunch of Spider Enterrans kidnap Yakumo in believing a legend that eating a human will make the eater immortal.
- Day at the Park (マシュラ、遊園地で大暴れ!? Mushra, Yūenchi de Ō Abare?) - Yakumo, Sago and Kutal are invited to join a festival, while Mushra still roams about. When he gets the chance to do a little revenge for being sent away, he takes it where the revenge resulted in the hatching of Tombo.
- Kiri (強すぎる!昆虫王ドッカク!!?, He is Strong! Insect King Daku) - Mushra finds a human child, who claims to have escaped from a prison for humans.
- Battling Daku (最終決戦!マシュラvs昆虫王?, Final Battle! Mushra vs. the Insect King) - In an attempt to save Yakumo and Kiri from Daku, Sago comes up with the plan to be captured themselves.
- Into the Jungle (新大陸突入!ジャングルにひそむ怪人?, Thrusted into a new World! The mysterious Figure hiding in the Jungle) - Kutal's niece and nephews show up and throw the gang on an unexpected adventure.
- Reptiles (マシュラ激闘! スクールウォーズ!! Mushra Gekitō! Sukūruu Wōzu?, Mushra Clash! School Wars) - As Mushra battles Waru, another Enteran named Gyasa: King of the Snake Enterrans, appears with the intention of taking out the gang and kidnapping Yakumo.
- Gyasa (敗北!クータル、サーゴ死す!?, Defeated! Kutal and Sago Dead!) - Gyasa uses dirty tricks to take out Sago and Kutal, leaving Mushra by himself. Can he find a way to defeat Gyasa?
- Mushrambo, the Ultimate Samurai (無敵の超戦士マシュランボー The Invincible Super Warrior, Mushrambo?) - Mushrambo is able to defeat Gyasa in his first form, but what will happen when he transforms?
- Clash of the Hyper-Enterrans (脅威のチカラだ!ギャザ粉砕! Threatening Power! Gyasa's Defeat?) - Mushrambo is overpowered by the Hyper Gyasa. Can he find a way to turn the tide of the battle around?
- The Test (マシュラ・謎の老師に入門か!??) - Darba, the supposed wizard of Shinzo, appears with a proposition for the team, but what are his real intentions?
- Ryuma, Lord of the Reptiles (敵か味方か? 破壊神マシュランボー Teki ka Mikata ka? Hakaishin Mushrambo?, Friend of Foe? Mushrambo the Destroyer) - The group arrives at another forest after going through the desert, but when Grandora the 3-Headed Ice Dragon attacks the village under Ungra and Ryuma's control, it means trouble for the entire team.
- The Dark Spirit of Destruction (ノンストップ暴走! 黒い破壊神 Nonsutoppu Bōsō! Kuroi Hakushin?, Nonstop Maddness! Black Destroyer) - Mushrambo has been turned evil and is now Dark Mushrambo. Meanwhile, Ryuma goes ahead with his plans to marry Yakumo.
- Mechano City (天空のロボット王国メカノシティ?, The Robot Sky-Kingdom of Mechano City) - The group arrives in a city full of robots, but what will they do when the cops begin to pursue them?
- The Giant Robot (巨大ロボ発進!謎のカード工場?, Giant Robot Launch! The Mysterious Card Factory) - What will the robots do when they learn that Yakumo is a human?
- The Great War (弱点なし!?悪魔の発明エッグカード?, Flawless!? The Fiendish EnCard is created) - Mushra and the robots find out about Yakumo's past and the truth about the robot king, but what happens when Mushra battles Cairis to the end in a one-on-one battle?
- The Secrets of the Seven (7大将軍の秘密!?, Secret of the Seven Enterran Generals) - As a machine is using the egg card's power to revive Mushra, Sago, and Kutal, King Nipper sacrifices his life in an attempt to stop Caris and prevent him from killing Yakumo. In his dying breath, Nipper reveals the identities of the Seven Enterran Generals save for the seventh.
- The Feathered Fiend (倒せ!最強の鳥獣王ルシフェーヌ Taose! Saikyo no Torijūō Rusephine?, Defeat! The Strong Bird Queen Rusephine) - Mechano City has been destroyed by Rusephine's forces, with Mushra and company battling her forces. However, Rusephine uses her powers to send Mushra, Kutal and Sago back in time.
- The Two Mushrambos (大激突!マシュラVSマシュランボー?, Big Crash! Mushra vs. Mushrambo) - While Mushra and company battle the original Mushrambo to prevent the young Yakumo from being killed, Rusephine absorbs the Encards of her fellow generals to become all powerful. However, when Mushra and the others return to the present, Rusephine's gambit of summoning the original Mushrambo proves to be her undoing.
- The Battle of One (戦いの果てに… In the End of the Fight...?): Absorbing the EnCards of the other Enterran Generals, the original Mushrambo powers up into Dark King Mushrambo. But as the final battle between the two Mushrambos begins, the end result would alter the world's timeline.
- A New Beginning (オレは最強王・マシュラさまだ!?) - Mushra is trapped once again, but freed by the mysterious Binka, but when Lanancuras' servants attack them, can they survive without hyper power, or is there another way for Mushra to go hyper?
- Bear Claws (勇者復活のハイパーフォーム!?, Heroic Revival of the Hyper Forms) - Binka and Mushra search for Sago so Mushrambo can be reformed, but they are unaware of a pair of assassins sent to stop them en route.
- Nightmare Dream Center (地獄の使者その名はアイリス!! The Name of Hell's Emissary is Eilis?) - Eilis decides to target Mushra to prevent Mushrambo from ever being reborn. Can the team overcome him and keep Mushra alive?
- Eilis of the Storm (目覚めよ!マシュランボー Mezame yo! Mushrambo?, Awaken! Mushrambo) - It's Eilis vs. Mushrambo, but who will be the victor?
- Reviving Yakumo (遅すぎた再会 Sore wa 'Ososugita Saikai?, A Reunion That Came Too Late) - The group gets trapped in a never ending maze, and their only hope of escape is Yakumo. Can they succeed?
- Lanancuras Arises (最後の希望 Saigo no Kibou?, Final Hope) - It's Yakumo & Mushrambo vs. Lanacuras, but who has the bigger desire to win?
- Lanancuras Unbound (ヤクモ落日に死す?, Yakumo Dies in the Setting Sun) - Lanancuras gains his full power and continues the battle against Mushrambo. Who will end up being the victor, especially when it appears that Yakumo is killed.
- Mushrambo Meets His Match (果てしなき死闘?) - Mushrambo continues his battle against Lanancuras, but does he stand a chance without the help of Yakumo and Binka?
- Mushra's Mission (マシュラの使命?) - Lanancuras's apparent death was unexpected and he appears to be headed toward being the ruler of the world, but Mushra refuses to give up and calls on a new power source to assist him. Will it be enough to defeat Lanancuras in the end?
- Soul Survivor (心ある戦い Shinaru Tatakai?) - With all hope lost, Mushra vows to destroy Lanancuras once and for all, and with the guardian powers revealed he may just succeed. What will happen next?
- Long Live Yakumo (さらばマシュランボー Saraba, Mushrambo?, Farewell, Mushrambo) - The battle between Mushra and Lanancuras comes to its exciting conclusion, but whose lives will it cost?
- Banjō Ginga - Narrator, Dr. Daigo Tatsuro
- Yūko Minaguchi - Yakumo Tatsuro
- Minami Takayama - Mushra/Hyper Mushra/Mushrambo
- Yasuhiko Kawazu - Sago
- Naoki Tatsuta - Kutal
- Tsutomu Kashiwakura - Hakuba
- Takeshi Aono - Lanancuras
- Aya Hisakawa - Binka
- Hisao Egawa - Eilis
- Mami Kingetsu - Lunaria
- Ryusei Nakao as Gyaza
- Kenji Utsumi - Insect King Dokkaku
- Mami Koyama - Reptile King Ryuuma
- Ai Maeda - Rei, Sanju (7-22)
- Junko Shimakata - Toguru (15-18)
- Hiromi Konno - Kuro (23)
- Yūko Nagashima - Fairy (26)
- Toshio Furukawa - Death claw
- Hideyuki Hori - Katorasu (1-2)
- Stephen Apostolina - Dr. Daigo Tatsuro
- Steven Blum - Sago, Eilis, Golden Mushrambo
- Dorothy Elias-Fahn - Rei
- Tom Fahn - Hakuba
- Sandy Fox - Este
- Tom Gibis - Mushra
- Dan Lorge - Mushrambo/Dark King Mushrambo, Katai
- Peggy O'Neal - Yakumo Tatsuro
- Bob Papenbrook - Kutal, Bonga, Celestial Guardian #2
- Philece Sampler - Binka, Kiri
- Brianne Siddall - Sen
- Bill Capeze - Caterpillar Soldiers
- Mari Devon - Queen Bee-Ing, Pixie Kadrian
- Richard Epcar -
- Steve Kramer - Katris, Shiro (true-form)/Panda
- Lex Lang - Waru, Garizani, Kuro (true-form)/Super Predator
- Wendee Lee - Rusephine (19-20), Clip
- Brad MacDonald - Bolt
- Mary Elizabeth McGlynn - Ungra
- Paul St. Peter - Daku, Celestial Guardian #1, Additional Voices
- Jamieson Price - Narrator, Celestial Guardian #3
- Derek Stephen Prince - Doctor Parasite, King Nipper, Gyasa
- Michael Sorich - Darba
- Melodee Spevack - Rusephine (18)
- Tom Wyner - Lanancuras, Caris
Changes in the English Dub
When the show is dubbed into English by Saban, it is heavily edited and localized for younger US audiences. The English dub by Saban Entertainment is very different from the original Japanese version. Most notably, the original Japanese musical score is completely replaced by a new English score. Furthermore, all the original Japanese sound effects are removed and replaced by sound effects created in Saban studios. In addition, many moments of silence in the Japanese version are filled with either music, sound effects, or extra dialogue. Like Flint the Time Detective, the script and dialogue is completely rewritten to be very different from the original Japanese script and dialogue and with all profanity and cussing removed and with lots of jokes, puns, humor and extra dialogue added. To complete the localization, a brand new opening title sequence, brand new ending credits sequence and brand new English dub theme song were created.
- Shinzo is loosely based on the Chinese legend Journey to the West, where a Buddhist priest and his three monstrous disciples journeyed to India to recover scriptures from Buddha to bring peace and enlightenment to the world.