Shipping Corporation of India
public company (BSE: 523598NSE: SCI)
|Founded||Bombay, 2 October 1961|
Madame Cama Road,
Mumbai 400,021 India
|Key people||B K Mandal (Chairman and managing director)|
|Revenue||39026.9 million (US$650 million)|
The Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) (Hindi: भारतीय नौवहन निगम) (BSE: 523598NSE: SCI) is a Government of India Public Sector Enterprise with its headquarters in Mumbai that operates and manages vessels that services both national and international lines.
SCI was established on 2 October 1961 by the amalgamation of Eastern Shipping Corporation and Western Shipping Corporation. Two more shipping companies, Jayanti Shipping Company and Mogul Lines Limited, were merged with SCI in 1973 and 1986 respectively.
SCI was also awarded the prestigious "Navratna" status by Indian Government in 2008.
- On 17 September 1991 SCI signed Contracts with STX Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. of South Korea for building and delivering six Newbuilding LR-I Product Tankers. This is the largest shipbuilding contract in terms of value, signed by SCI since its inception.
- On 14 November 2006, SCI signed Contracts with Hyundai Samho Heavy Industry, of South Korea for building and delivering two Newbuilding 4,400 TEU Container Vessels. The deliveries of these vessels are scheduled by the end of November 2008.
The SCI operates a fleet of 74 vessels (1 March 2014) totalling 5.90 million DWT. It also manages 39 vessels (1 March 2013) totalling 200,658 DWT on behalf of various Government Departments and other organisations. SCI’s owned fleet includes Bulk carriers, Crude oil tankers, Product tankers, Container vessels, Passenger-cum-Cargo vessels, Phosphoric Acid / Chemical carriers, LPG / Ammonia carriers and Offshore Supply Vessels.
Particulars No. Crude Oil 18 Product 14 Chemical 1 Gas 2 VLCC 4 Bulk Carriers 17 Liners 5 Offshore Supply 12 Passenger-cum-Cargo 1 Total 74
- Liner and passenger services
- Bulk carrier and tanker services
- Offshore services
- Liquefied Natural Gas
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd.
- Steel Authority of India Ltd.
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd.
- Reliance Industries Ltd.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
- British Petroleum
- British Gas