|District||Dakshina Kannada, Hassan Districts|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Shiradi is a village on NH 48 which runs from Mangalore to Bangalore. The shiridi ghat starts from small temple "garadi chamundashwari temple" near Gundya at the border of Dakshina kannada and Hassan districts. The village is situated in Puttur taluk of Dakshina Kannada district. The ghat section of Western ghats through which NH-48 passes is called Shiradi Ghat.
Once you reach Shiradi, you need to travel a few hundread meters where you reach a bridge taking right there you need to start trekking to reach the famous "Ombathhu Gudda"
Shiradi Ghat Road
The stretch of the National Highway passing through the Shiradi Ghat is poorly maintained according to sources. It was upgraded by the National Highways Authority of India at a cost of 26 crore. Elephants have also been sighted on the road. In 2012, the Government of Karnataka sought help from the Japanese government to bore a tunnel through the ghat. Later, the State Government released money to keep the road motorable during rains.
There was a proposal put forward by Japanese consultants to dig the tunnel through the Shiradi ghat which could have brought down the travel time in ghat section from 3 hours to 30 mins, but NHAI has shelved the proposal in the notification. This was proposed as a four-lane expressway between Sakleshpur in Hassan district and Gundia in Dakshina Kannada district along National Highway 48 connecting Bangalore and Mangalore.
- Kamila, Raviprasad (2010-04-10). "NHAI to maintain 10 more stretches of highways". Mangalore: The Hindu. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Rs. 26 crore for Shiradi Ghat road". Bangalore: The Hindu. 2006-11-19. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Tusker found crossing NH in Shiradi Ghat stretch". Mangalore: Deccan Herald. 2009-12-08. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Belgaumkar, Govind (2009-12-15). "Lone tusker sighted in Shiradi ghats". Mangalore: The Hindu. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Karnataka govt seeks a boring solution to the Shiradi Ghat problem". Bangalore: Daily News and Analysis. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "More funds promised for Shiradi Ghat road repair". The Hindu (Mangalore). 11 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Shirady Ghat will be shipshare during monsoon: CM". The Times of India (Mangalore). 10 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
|This article related to a location in Dakshina Kannada district, Karnataka, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|