Shire of Augusta-Margaret River
|Shire of Augusta-Margaret River
Location in Western Australia
|Population||13,168 (2013 est)|
|• Density||5.8718/km2 (15.2078/sq mi)|
|Area||2,242.6 km2 (865.9 sq mi)|
|Shire President||Mike Smart|
|Council seat||Margaret River|
|State electorate(s)||Vasse, Warren-Blackwood|
The Shire of Augusta-Margaret River is a local government area in the south-west corner of the South West region of Western Australia, approximately 270 kilometres (168 mi) south of Perth. The shire covers an area of 2,243 square kilometres (866 sq mi) and has an estimated population of 12,913 people (June 2011), about half of whom live in the towns of Margaret River and Augusta.
Nearly half of Augusta-Margaret River's land area is state forest or national park. National parks include Scott National Park and Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park. Other land uses include agriculture, especially dairy and beef cattle; viticulture; and tourism.
In 1891, the Augusta Road District was gazetted, and was renamed to Augusta-Margaret River Road District in 1926. On 1 July 1961, it became a shire under the Local Government Act 1960.
As of 2009 the Shire is divided into three wards.
- Margaret River (two councillors)
- North Ward (three councillors)
- Leeuwin Ward (two councillors)
Towns and localities
- Alexandra Bridge
- East Augusta
- Forest Grove
- Hamelin Bay
- Molloy Island
- Rosa Brook
- Rosa Glen
- Warner Glen
- Western Australia. Dept. of Land Administration. Cartographic Services Branch. (2004) South West Corner/Western Australia Perth, W.A.. Scale 1:150 000 ; (E 114°58'--E 115°40'/S 033°27'--S 034°25') Also known as StreetSmart Touring Map - with localities Augusta, Busselton, Dunsborough and Margaret River on title ISBN 0-7309-2907-8
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 3 April 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 July 2007.
- Burton, L.C. (1996). Barefoot in the Creek: A Group Settlement Childhood in Margaret River. Nedlands, W.A.: University of Western Australia Press. ISBN 1875560831.
- Cresswell, Gail J. (2003). The Light of Leeuwin: The Augusta-Margaret River Shire History (new ed.). Margaret River, W.A.: Augusta-Margaret River Shire History Group. ISBN 0731694449.
- Cullen, Shelley; Rigby, Peter (1999). Margaret River Style. Fremantle, WA: Fremantle Arts Centre Press. ISBN 1863682856.
- Wiltshire, Trea (2000). Margaret River. Australian Wine Regions series. Singapore: R. Ian Lloyd Productions. ISBN 9810426747.
- Zekulich, Michael (2000). Wine Western Australia (all new ed.). Perth: St George Books. ISBN 0867780614.