Shire of Cambooya
|Shire of Cambooya
Location within Queensland
|Population||5,652 (2006 census)|
|• Density||8.8520/km2 (22.927/sq mi)|
|Area||638.5 km2 (246.5 sq mi)|
The Shire of Cambooya was a local government area in the Darling Downs region of Queensland, Australia, immediately south of the regional city of Toowoomba. The shire, administered from the town of Greenmount, covered an area of 638.5 square kilometres (246.5 sq mi), and existed as a local government entity from 1914 until 2008, when it amalgamated with several other councils in the Toowoomba area to form the Toowoomba Region.
Its main pursuits included dairying and beef cattle, pig production, horse spelling and breeding, grain growing and vegetable production. The northern section, containing rural-residential suburbs such as Vale View and Hodgson Vale, are commuter districts within 12 kilometres (7 mi) of Toowoomba's urban core.
Cambooya had four divisions electing two councillors each, with a separately elected mayor.
On 15 March 2008, under the Local Government (Reform Implementation) Act 2007 passed by the Parliament of Queensland on 10 August 2007, the Shire of Cambooya merged with the City of Toowoomba and the Shires of Clifton, Crows Nest, Jondaryan, Millmerran, Pittsworth and Shire of Rosalie to form the Toowoomba Region.
Towns and localities
- East Greenmount
- Hodgson Vale
- Mount Rascal
- Nobby (split with Shire of Clifton)
- Top Camp
- Vale View
- Wyreema (split with Shire of Jondaryan)
# The estimated 1947 population of the post-1949 area was 1,959.
Chairmen and mayors
The leaders of the Cambooya Shire Council were:
- 1914—1916: Arthur Hoey Davis, better known as the author Steele Rudd
- 1916: James Purcell
- 1916—1918: Edward Fitzgerald
- 1918—1919: Timothy O'Rourke
- 1919—1920: William Purcell
- 1920—1921: Malcolm Brodie
- 1921—1923: James Lemon
- 1924—1939: Edward Fitzgerald
- 1939—1943: Samuel John Gilmour
- 1943—1949: William Henry Lipp
- 1949—1966: Leslie Ashby Free
- 1966—1973: George Gordon Savage
- 1973—1976: George Hannaford
- 1976—1982: George Gordon Savage
- 1982—1985: William Archibald Woods
- 1985—1993: Thomas Stratford Newman
- 1993-2000: Robert Leslie Free
- 2000-2004: John Gordon Savage
- 2004-2008: Carol Estelle Taylor
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Cambooya (S) (Local Government Area)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Toowoomba Regional Council (2004). "A Brief History of Cambooya Shire". Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- Queensland Government Gazette. 17 March 1949. p. 172:981–985.
- Queensland Year Book, No.11 (1950), p.47.
- "Cambooya Shire Council Past Chairmen and Mayors". Toowoomba Regional Council. Retrieved 4 February 2014.