Shire of Dumbleyung
|Shire of Dumbleyung
Location in Western Australia
|Population||644 (2011 est)|
|• Density||0.27/km2 (0.70/sq mi)|
|Area||2,540.1 km2 (980.7 sq mi)|
The Shire of Dumbleyung is a local government area in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia, about 40 kilometres (25 mi) east of Wagin and about 275 kilometres (171 mi) southeast of Perth, the state capital. The Shire covers an area of 2,540 square kilometres (981 sq mi), and is involved in grain and livestock production and various biodiversity industries including cereals, summer crops, oil mallees, yabbies, emus, poultry and trout. Its seat of government is the town of Dumbleyung.
On 1 October 1909, the Dumbleyung Road District was created. On 1 July 1961, it became a Shire following the enactment of the Local Government Act 1960.
As of 3 May 2003, the shire has been divided into 4 wards.
- Dumbleyung Ward (3 councillors)
- North Ward (3 councillors)
- Kukerin (1 councillor)
- South Ward (2 councillors)
Previously, there were 5 wards: Central (Dumbleyung), North (Dongolocking), South (Datatine), Merilup and Kukerin.
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 30 March 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2012.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 July 2007.