Shire of Moorabool
|Shire of Moorabool
Location in Victoria
|• Density||13.33/km2 (34.52/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||6 May 1994|
|Area||2,110 km2 (814.7 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Paul Tatchell|
The Shire of Moorabool is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the western part of the state. It covers an area of 2,110 square kilometres (810 sq mi) and, at the 2011 Census, had a population of 28,124. It includes the towns of Ballan, Bacchus Marsh, Balliang, Mount Wallace, Myrniong, Blackwood, Greendale, Gordon, Koorweinguboora and Mount Egerton, Bungaree, Elaine and Wallace. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Bacchus Marsh, Shire of Ballan and parts of the Shire of Bungaree and City of Werribee.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Moorabool Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Ballan, it also has service centres located in Bacchus Marsh and Darley. The Shire is named after the Moorabool River, a major geographical feature that meanders through the LGA.
The council is composed of four wards and seven councillors, with four councillors elected to represent the East Moorabool Ward and one councillor per remaining ward elected to represent each of the other wards.
|Central Moorabool||Paul Tatchell||Mayor (2013–14)|
|East Moorabool||Allan Comrie|
|West Moorabool||Tom Sullivan|
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Ballan Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Ballan, and its service centre in Bacchus Marsh.
Localities which encompass the Shire of Moorabool include:
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Moorabool (S) – LGA25150". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "Order estg (Part 4) the Shire of Moorabool". "S23 of 1994". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 9 May 1994). p. 1. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "Order altg (Part 22) the Shire of Moorabool". "S97 of 1994". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 15 December 1994). p. 10. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Moorabool Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Moorabool Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|