Shire of Victoria Plains
|Shire of Victoria Plains
Victoria Plains shire offices, Calingiri, 2014
Location in Western Australia
|Population||921 (2013 est)|
|• Density||0.35851/km2 (0.9285/sq mi)|
|Area||2,569 km2 (991.9 sq mi)|
|Website||Shire of Victoria Plains|
The Shire of Victoria Plains is a local government area in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia, about 160 kilometres (99 mi) north of the state capital, Perth. It covers an area of 2,569 square kilometres (992 sq mi), and its seat of government is the town of Calingiri.
In 1871, the Victoria Plains Road District was created over an area extending as far north as Carnamah and east to the South Australian border. These areas gradually obtained their own local government over the next 40 years. On 1 July 1961, the area that remained became the Shire of Victoria Plains under the Local Government Act 1960.
The shire is divided into four wards.
- West Ward (three councillors)
- Central Ward (two councillors)
- East Ward (two councillors)
- South Ward (two councillors)
Towns and localities
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 3 April 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 July 2007.
Media related to Shire of Victoria Plains at Wikimedia Commons