Shire of Wickepin
|Shire of Wickepin
Location in Western Australia
|Population||750 (2013 est)|
|• Density||0.3674/km2 (0.951/sq mi)|
|Area||2,041.6 km2 (788.3 sq mi)|
|Mayor||S J (Steve) Martin|
|Website||Shire of Wickepin|
The Shire of Wickepin is a local government area in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia, east of Narrogin and about 220 kilometres (137 mi) southeast of the state capital, Perth. The Shire covers an area of 2,042 square kilometres (788 sq mi), and its seat of government is the town of Wickepin.
In 1909, the Wickepin Road District was created. The Road Board consisted of a chairman, secretary and seven members. On 1 July 1961, it became a shire under the Local Government Act 1960.
The Shire is at present undivided with its nine councillors representing the entire shire.
Until 20 October 2007 the shire was divided into 5 wards:
- Townsite Ward (2 councillors)
- North Ward (2 councillors)
- Central Ward (2 councillors)
- South Ward (2 councillors)
- East Ward (1 councillor)
Towns and localities
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 3 April 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 July 2007.