Yarra Ranges Shire
|Shire of Yarra Ranges
Map of Melbourne with Yarra Ranges LGA highlighted
|• Density||58.5210/km2 (151.569/sq mi)|
|Area||2,469.9 km2 (953.6 sq mi)|
|Region||Outer Eastern Melbourne|
|Website||Shire of Yarra Ranges|
The Shire of Yarra Ranges is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the outer eastern and northeastern suburbs of Melbourne extending into the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges. It has an area of 2,469.9 square kilometres (953.6 sq mi), and at the 2011 census, it had a population of 144,541.
Yarra Ranges is divided into nine wards, each of which elects one councillor for a period of four years.
- Billanook Ward
- Chandler Ward, named after a pioneering family
- Chirnside Ward, named after George Chirnside, a Mooroolbark settler and owner of the Werribee Park Mansion.
- Lyster Ward, named after William Lyster, an impresario who had a dairy farm in the area.
- Melba Ward, named after Dame Nellie Melba.
- O'Shannassy Ward, named after O'Shannassy River and reservoir, ultimately from John O'Shanassy (sic), premier of Victoria .
- Ryrie Ward, named after William Ryrie who planted the first vineyards in the area.
- Streeton Ward, named after Sir Arthur Streeton, a painter who lived at Olinda.
- Walling Ward, named after Edna Walling, landscape designer.
Suburbs and towns
Suburbs and towns within the boundaries of the Shire include:
|Suburbs||Hills Townships||Rural Localities (North East)||Rural Localities (East)|
- Burwood Highway
- Canterbury Road/Swansea Road
- Maroondah Highway
- Belgrave-Hallam Road/Monbulk Road/Hereford Road/Anderson Street
- Belgrave Road
- Olinda-Monbulk Road/Emerald Monbulk Road
- Warburton Highway
- Healesville- Koo Wee Rup Road
- Mount Dandenong (Tourist) Road
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (30 October 2012). "2011 Census QuickStats". Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Official website
- Community Profile
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps