|Type||Public limited company|
|Traded as||LSE: SHP, NASDAQ: SHPG|
|Predecessor(s)||Shire Pharmaceuticals Group Plc|
|Headquarters||Registered Office: St Helier, Jersey
Corporate HQ: Dublin, Ireland
UK Operations: Basingstoke, England
|Key people||Matthew Emmens (Chairman)
Flemming Ornskov, MD (CEO)
|Revenue||$4,681.2 million (2012)|
|Operating income||$949.2 million (2012)|
|Net income||$745.4 million (2012)|
Shire Plc is a Jersey-registered, Irish-headquartered global specialty biopharmaceutical company that is the manufacturer of pharmaceuticals. Originating in in the United Kingdom with a large operational base in the United States, its brands and products include Vyvanse, Adderall XR, Intuniv, Lialda, Pentasa, Fosrenol, Replagal, Elaprase, VPRIV, Firazyr and Dermagraft.
Shire has its primary listing on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. It had a market capitalisation of approximately £11.1 billion as of 26 April 2013, making it the 37th-largest company on the London Stock Exchange. Shire has a secondary listing on NASDAQ.
Shire was founded by Harry Stratford, Dr James Murray, Dennis Stephens, Peter Moriarty, and Geoff Hall in 1986. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1996. Shire's initial products were calcium supplements for patients seeking to treat or prevent osteoporosis. Shire's acquisitions include:
- Pharmavene in 1997
- Richwood Pharmaceutical Company in 1997, which formed Shire-Richwood, Inc.
- Biochem Canada in 2001
- Transkaryotic Therapeutics (now Shire Human Genetic Therapies) in 2005
- New River Pharmaceuticals Inc, owners of Vyvanse, for $2.3bn in 2007
- Jerini, a German company focusing on hereditary angioedema (HAE), in 2008
- Movetis, a Belgian company focusing on gastrointestinal products, in 2010
- Advanced BioHealing, a regenerative medicine company, in 2011
- FerroKin BioSciences, a privately held biotechnology firm, in 2012
- Lotus Tissue Repair, Inc., a privately held biotechnology company, in 2013
- Premacure AB, a privately held biotechnology company, in 2013
- SARcode Bioscience Inc., a privately held biopharmaceutical company, in 2013
Shire develops and provides healthcare in the areas of behavioral health, gastrointestinal conditions, rare diseases, and regenerative medicine.
|Vyvanse||$1,029.8M||Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)|
|Adderall XR||$429.0M||Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)|
|Replagal||$497.5M||Fabry disease (lysosomal storage disorder)|
|Elaprase||$497.6M||Hunter syndrome (lysosomal storage disorder)|
|Lialda/Mezavant||$399.9M||Gastrointestinal (Ulcerative colitis)|
|VPRIV||$306.6M||Type 1 Gaucher disease|
|Pentasa||$265.8M||Gastrointestinal (Ulcerative colitis)|
|Intuniv||$287.8M||Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)|
|Dermagraft||$153.8M||Diabetic Foot Ulcers (“DFU”)|
Royalty income 
|Adderall XR||$70.3M||Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)||Imapx and Teva|
|3TC (Lamivudine) and Zeffix (Lamivudine)||$91.6M||HIV and Chronic hepatitis B||GlaxoSmithKline|
|Fosrenol||$53.3M||Renal disease||Bayer Yakuhin|
The original corporate head quarters and still major operation base are located in Basingstoke, Hampshire, England. Other major offices are located in the United States in Wayne, Pennsylvania and Cambridge, Massachusetts. In addition, Shire owns a manufacturing site in Lexington, Massachusetts and San Diego, California.
Tax Avoidance 
In 2008, in reaction to new taxation measures announced by the Labour Party in the treatment of royalties on patents, the company moved its tax domicile to Dublin, Ireland. Effected through the creation of a new holding company in St Helier, Jersey in the Channel Islands, it will pay reduced tax on global earnings, where royalties on patents lodged in Ireland are tax free.
Corporate leadership 
The non-executive Board Chairman is Matthew Emmens. Flemming Ornskov, MD, Chief Executive Officer. Graham Hetherington, Chief Financial Officer.
See also 
- "Preliminary Results 2012" (PDF). Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- 10K Report
- "Contact Us". Shire plc. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "FTSE All-Share Index Ranking". stockchallenge.co.uk. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- How Shire evolved
- Shire buys US drugs delivery firm for pounds 105m The Independent, 26 February 1997
- Investment Column: Shire focuses on buying Richwood The Independent, 5 August 1997
- Canadians give go-ahead for Shire takeover of BioChem The Telegraph, 10 May 2001
- U.K. drug maker agrees to buy Transkaryotic Wall Street Journal, 2005
- Shire buys New River Pharmaceuticals for $2.6 billion Pharma Times, 21 February 2007
- Shire to buy Jerini in $521M deal Fierce Biotech, 3 July 2008
- Shire forges $565M buyout deal for Movetis Fierce Biotech, 3 August 2010
- Shire swoops to buy Advanced BioHealing Pharma Times, 18 May 2011
- Shire to buy U.S. biotech firm for up to $325 million Reuters, 15 March 2012
- Shire Acquires Lotus Tissue Repair, Inc. Shire.com, 8 January 2013
- Shire Acquires Premacure AB Shire.com, 12 March 2013
- Shire to Acquire SARcode Bioscience, Expands Presence in Ophthalmology Shire.com, 25 March 2013
- Shire moves to Ireland for tax Irish Examiner, April 2008