From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shiroishi town hall
Location of Shiroishi in Saga Prefecture
|• Mayor||Hiroaki Katafuchi|
|• Total||99.46 km2 (38.40 sq mi)|
|Population (January 1, 2011)|
|• Density||260/km2 (660/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Sweet Osmanthus|
|Address||253-1 Ōaza Sakata, Shiroishi-chō, Kishima-gun, Saga-ken
|Website||Town of Shiroishi|
- Annual Mean Air Temperature: 16˚C (60.8˚F)
- Annual Mean Precipitation: about 1450 mm (57 in)
Adjoining Cities and Municipalities
- April 1, 1889 - The modern municipal system is established. At this time Shiroishi consists of nine separate villages: Hashishita, Fukudomi, Fukuji, Kinkō, Kita-Ariake, Minami-Ariake, Rokkaku, Ryūō, and Suko.
- April 1, 1936 - Fukuji gains town status and is renamed Shiroishi.
- April 1, 1955 - Kinkō and Ryūō merge to form Ariake.
- July 20, 1955 - Rokkaku and Suko are incorporated into Shiroishi.
- September 30, 1955 - Minami-Ariake is incorporated into Ariake.
- July 1, 1956 - Kita-Ariake is incorporated into Shiroishi.
- October 1, 1962 - Ariake gains town status.
- April 1, 1967 - Fukudomi gains town status.
- January 1, 2005 - The towns of Shiroishi, Fukudomi, and Ariake are merged under the name Shiroishi.
27.01% of the population (7,437) are 65 or older. In 2005 there were 183 births and 322 deaths, 624 immigrants and 805 emigrants, indicating a negative population growth.
- Shiroishi High School
- Saga Agricultural School
Junior High Schools
- Shiroishi Junior High School
- Fukudomi Junior High School
- Ariake Junior High School
- Suko Elementary School
- Rokkaku Elementary School
- Shiroishi Elementary School
- Hokumei Elementary School
- Fukudomi Elementary School
- Ariake East Elementary School
- Ariake West Elementary School
- Ariake South Elementary School
- Yasaka Shrine Summer Festival (八坂神社 夏祭り yasakajinja natsumatsuri?), July 13th - Floats are pulled down the main shopping district in the tradition of the Kyoto Gion Festival.
- Hassaku (八朔?), October 1st - A fall festival celebrating the sea at Kaidou Shrine.
- Okunchi (おくんち?), October 19th - This fall festival is held at the Tsumayama, Rokkaku, Inasa, and Fukudomi shrines. It features Japanese horseback archery, called yabusame.
- Ohitaki Festival (お火たき祭り ohitakimatsuri?), December 26th - A bonfire festival where people pray for the coming year.
- Utagaki Park (歌垣公園 utagaki kouen?), a park with many flowers.
- Inasa Shrine (稲佐神社 inasa jinja?), an old shrine in the mountains west of Shiroishi. Of particular note is the stone paved road leading to the shrine.
- Fukudomi My Land Park (ふくどみマイランド公園 fukudomi mairando kouen?) a park and playground.
Media related to Shiroishi, Saga at Wikimedia Commons