|IATA: FSZ – ICAO: RJNS|
|Location||Makinohara, Shizuoka, Shimada, Shizuoka|
|Elevation AMSL||433 ft / 132 m|
|Website||Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport|
Shizuoka Airport (静岡空港 Shizuoka Kūkō?) (IATA: FSZ, ICAO: RJNS), also called Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport, is located in Shizuoka Prefecture Japan. Opened on June 4, 2009, the airport has domestic service to Sapporo, Fukuoka, Naha (Okinawa), Komatsu, Kumamoto, and Kagoshima. International routes connect it to Ningbo, Seoul and Shanghai.
The airport is located in Makinohara and Shimada. It is 27 km (17 mi) southwest of Shizuoka Station and about 45 km (28 mi) from Hamamatsu, 80 km (50 mi) from Mt. Fuji, 130 km (81 mi) from Nagoya airport, and 175 km (109 mi) from Tokyo in a direct line.
To allow for growth in air travel to Shizuoka, Hamamatsu, and the Mount Fuji area, and to fill the gap between Tokyo and Nagoya airports, Shizuoka Prefecture bought 190 hectares (470 acres) of land for Shizuoka Airport. One reason for building this airport in this particular location is that locals and tourists will not have to rely on the severely congested airports of the Tokyo region. Any flights that bypass the Tokyo region will help overall air traffic, including direct international flights. Like Kobe Airport, Shizuoka Airport has come under criticism as Nagoya Airport is not congested and is also in an expansion phase.
The airport was originally scheduled to open in March 2009, but was delayed by the shortening of the runway from 2,500 m (8,202 ft) to 2,200 m (7,218 ft), by the use of a displaced threshold that cannot be used for takeoff or landing, due to environmental and noise concerns.
Airlines and destinations
|Air New Zealand||Charter: Auckland, Christchurch |
|All Nippon Airways||Naha, Sapporo-Chitose|
|China Eastern Airlines||Ningbo, Shanghai-Pudong, Wuhan|
|China Southern Airlines||Nanning, Wuhan (both begin 15 May 2015)|
|Fuji Dream Airlines||Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Sapporo-Chitose|
|Xiamen Airlines||Xiamen (begins 2 July 2015)|
The closest railway station is Kanaya Station on the Tōkaidō Main Line and the Ōigawa Main Line. It is about 6 km from the airport. Taxi service to Shizuoka Station, a major station in the area, is available for 8,500 yen.
Buses run by three operators connect the airport to various railroad stations. The time required for the trip is about 55 minutes to Shizuoka Station, 25 minutes to Shimada Station, 42 minutes to Kakegawa Station stopping en route at Kikugawa Station, two hours to Hamamatsu Station, and 215 minutes to Kawaguchi Station with continuing service to Fujikyū Bus Terminal near Fuji-Q Highland.
Free parking for 2,000 cars is available at the airport.
- AIS Japan
- Shizuoka airport to open in June
- Domestic Flights :: Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport (Retrieved on June 9, 2009>
- International Flights:Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport (Retrieved on June 9, 2009)
- "China Southern Adds Nanning – Shizuoka Service from mid-May 2015". airlineroute.net. March 19, 2015. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- Car and Motorcycle Guide:Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport (Retrieved on June 9, 2009)
- (English) Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport website
- (English) Shizuoka Prefecture Department of Airport – Mt.Fuji Shizuoka Airport
- (English) Port and Airport Department,Chubu Regional Bureau, MLIT – Shizuoka Airport
- (Japanese) Tokyo Regional Civil Aviation Bureau,MLIT – Shizuoka Airport