Shock Totem #8 Artwork created by Mikio Murakami.
|Editor||K. Allen Wood|
|Publisher||Shock Totem Publications, LLC.|
|First issue||July 2009|
|Language||American English, British English, Canadian English, Australian English|
Shock Totem Magazine
The debut issue of Shock Totem: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted, a digest-sized magazine of fiction and nonfiction, was first published in July 2009. To date, nine issues have been released, as well as three special holiday issues (Christmas 2011, Valentine's Day 2014, and Halloween 2014). Notable authors to appear in Shock Totem are Jack Ketchum, John Skipp, Kevin J. Anderson, William F. Nolan, Don D'Ammassa, David Niall Wilson, Kurt Newton, Rennie Sparks (of The Handsome Family), Darrell Schweitzer, Cody Goodfellow, Brian Hodge, John Dixon, Tim Waggoner, Violet LeVoit, Weston Ochse, Ari Marmell, Lee Thomas, John Langan, and Stephen Graham Jones.
On January 1, 2015, it was announced that Shock Totem magazine would be go on hiatus until at least 2016.
Novels, Collections, etc.
In addition to Shock Totem magazine, they have published two novels, The Wicked (2012) and Ugly As Sin (2013), both by James Newman; and the single-author collection, Beautiful Sorrows (2012), by Mercedes M. Yardley. In 2013 they released Dominoes, by John Boden, an illustrated not-for-children children's book fashioned as a Little Horror Book.
In 2015 they will release the novellas Zero Lives Remaining and Chorus of Dust, by Adam Cesare and Justin Paul Walters, respectively.
- K. Allen Wood, Publisher/Editor-in-Chief
- Sarah Wood, Copy Editor
- John Boden, Contributing Editor
- Catherine Grant, Contributing Editor
- Barry Dejasu, Contributing Editor
- Michelle Howarth, Contributing Editor
- Chris Vrysen, Contributing Editor
- Nick Contor, Contributing Editor
- Tom Bordonaro, Contributing Editor
- Mercedes M. Yardley, Contributing Editor
- Zachary C. Parker, Contributing Editor
Shock Totem Publications, LLC was founded in 2008 by K. Allen Wood. Originally meant to be a monthly e-zine, the decision was made to publish a bi-annual print digest in early 2009. In late 2011, Shock Totem came full circle and entered the digital realm by making available each issue as e-books. In 2012, they published their first novel and single-author collection.
Notes and references
1. Shock Totem: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted #1 Bookgasm, September 2009
2. Shock Totem #1 Horrorworld, September 2009
3. Shock Totem - Review Hellnotes, August 2009
4. Hellfire Right Out of the Gate: Shock Totem’s First Issue Brain Tremors, August 2009
5. Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted - Summer 2009 The Future Fire, July 2009
6. Interview with Editor/Publisher K. Allen Wood D.L. Snell’s Market Scoops, October 2009
7. Interview with Editor/Publisher K. Allen Wood Duotrope's Digest Editor Interview, June 2010
8. Review: Shock Totem #2 The Journal of Always, August 2010
9. Magazine Review: Shock Totem Issue #3 Fatally Yours, March 2011
10. Reviewed: Shock Totem Issue 3 The Crow's Caw, March 2011
11. Creating a Monster: Interview with Shock Totem Editor/Creator K. Allen Wood Toasted Cheese Interview, May 2011
12. Shock Totem 6 (Book Review) Fangoria, April 2013
13. Storyville: Editor Interviews—Shock Totem, Shimmer, and The Dark LitReactor: Storyville, December 2013
14. KnippKnopp Interviews...Shock Totem Publications KnippKnopp, February 2014
15. Dominoes - Book Review Hellnotes, March 2014
16. Dominoes Wins a DRAWA Written Backwards, April 2014